• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How rare are modern newsstand editions?
5 5

552 posts in this topic

A lot more than 3 posters detract from having fun on this forum 

Nobody could ever deter me from collecting funny books though

I do suppose that beating people over the head with the fact people have a PhD and are therefore entitled to dismiss any viewpoint that contradicts the narrative they wish to substabtiate, could be labeled in the same light

People are people, and you can either tolerate it or not  

I'm going to extrapolate on this

I think having a PhD, regardless in what discipline, is extremely commendable. While I don't revere people who have one, I do highly respect it.

It shows that someone has given someone else their love and guidance, and a support structure to ensure that person has succeeded, most likely completely on their own, for their benefit 

I never had any such support structure and I envy it.

I don't want anyone thinking I'm anti intellectual because I wasn't able to get a PhD of my own.

On 1/31/2022 at 10:52 AM, The Meta said:

I'm going to extrapolate on this

I think having a PhD, regardless in what discipline, is extremely commendable. While I don't revere people who have one, I do highly respect it.

It shows that someone has given someone else their love and guidance, and a support structure to ensure that person has succeeded, most likely completely on their own, for their benefit 

I never had any such support structure and I envy it.

I don't want anyone thinking I'm anti intellectual because I wasn't able to get a PhD of my own.

envy would be strong, yet honest for some. I've taken to task things that i've learned, whether I learned them in "school" or not, such is life :shy: 

Still we're all just hopefully living in the moment of fun. 

On 1/31/2022 at 10:01 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

envy would be strong, yet honest for some. I've taken to task things that i've learned, whether I learned them in "school" or not, such is life :shy: 

Still we're all just hopefully living in the moment of fun. 

I am envious. I've only been able to achieve a trade, I really would have liked to have gone to university, but sometimes, life just doesn't work that way.

I've given serious thought to furthering my education when I retire, so I have the time and funds to do so

On 1/31/2022 at 11:04 AM, The Meta said:

I am envious. I've only been able to achieve a trade, I really would have liked to have gone to university, but sometimes, life just doesn't work that way.

I've given serious thought to furthering my education when I retire, so I have the time and funds to do so

Amen and prayers. It's a hope :x 

On 1/31/2022 at 11:04 AM, The Meta said:

I think you would enjoy that. Just for as you say furthering  your education. When I was in college I would see people in their 50s taking classes. I didn't understand why they were doing that. Now that I am in my late 40s/early 50s I understand.

On 1/31/2022 at 10:16 AM, jimjum12 said:

Ann Landers once told a reader who had complained that after 8 years of Law School they would be 48, "After 8 years you'll be 48 anyway." Do it. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I like that

On 1/31/2022 at 11:35 AM, FlyingDonut said:

What everyone spouting the exceptionally high ratio of newsstands to direct copies is conflating is taking the number of copies available in the collectors marketplace and extrapolating that ratio to say that's the number that was printed and that is just wrong.

Since "everyone" includes me, I'll point out that I have only said that exceptionally high ratios of newsstands to direct copies are the percentage available in the collectors marketplace.  You will not find any posts where I suggested a number printed.

On 1/30/2022 at 12:43 PM, Lazyboy said:

Following that link, you'll see that in 2019, I correctly stated that the percentage available in the market is NOT the percentage printed.  That is still true, and nothing has changed.

This discussion about what can be found in the marketplace is specifically about what can be found in the marketplace.

We know exactly how many automobiles were made for certain manufacturers, right down to their individual serial numbers. Talking about what was printed in comics is like talking about how many cars were manufactured... if the market is actively seeking and not finding specific comics/cars, it is almost meaningless to say "they were definitely manufactured" way back when. The market depends on what is, and maybe what has been recently, and depends very little on what was.

If we're talking about the current marketplace for a collectible, focusing on the number made is focusing on the wrong end of the timeline.

On 1/31/2022 at 12:35 PM, valiantman said:

Since "everyone" includes me, I'll point out that I have only said that exceptionally high ratios of newsstands to direct copies are the percentage available in the collectors marketplace.  You will not find any posts where I suggested a number printed.

Would you maybe care to revise that statement? Just in case you'd rather revise this post, I'll insert a screenshot here.

PrintClaim.thumb.jpg.0760bd263a78331f3113dc40fe91777f.jpg

On 1/31/2022 at 1:16 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 1/31/2022 at 12:35 PM, valiantman said:

Would you maybe care to revise that statement? Just in case you'd rather revise this post, I'll insert a screenshot here.

PrintClaim.thumb.jpg.0760bd263a78331f3113dc40fe91777f.jpg

No - in the situation where the availability in the marketplace is consistently 1%, I stick to my estimate that the original percentage printed might be 5%.

Would you like to supply your sources which claim that newsstand was always at least 20% of the original print run?  I'm happy to review them.

On 1/31/2022 at 1:14 PM, buttock said:

I never cease to be amazed at the arguments that can happen on these boards.  After all these years, I should be used to it, but I'm not.  I can't even figure out what you guys are upset about.  

Some of us are upset that people are making ridiculous assumptions and posting and spreading nonsense. Others are upset that they're being called out for doing so.

On 1/31/2022 at 7:14 PM, buttock said:

I never cease to be amazed at the arguments that can happen on these boards.  After all these years, I should be used to it, but I'm not.  I can't even figure out what you guys are upset about.  

Some people want to discuss the current availability of newsstands in the marketplace, and some others want to criticize them for making what they believe are incorrect claims about the original print run and ratio figures that they are not discussing and have said numerous times that they are not discussing.

In other words, it's the usual CGC board fare when it comes to any subject about newsstands.   

On 1/31/2022 at 12:19 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Some people want to discuss the current availability of newsstands in the marketplace, and some others want to criticize them for making what they believe are incorrect claims about the original print run and ratio figures that they are not discussing and have said numerous times that they are not discussing.

In other words, it's the usual CGC board fare when it comes to any subject about newsstands.   

Yeah, someone should just email Marvel and see if they have that number.  Otherwise it's opinion, and so long as you have some reasonable justification for it... which both sides appear to have... then why argue? 

On 1/31/2022 at 1:19 PM, Lazyboy said:

Some of us are upset that people are making ridiculous assumptions and posting and spreading nonsense. Others are upset that they're being called out for doing so.

Ridiculous statements like: "At least 20% of all print runs were newsstand"?

Just clarifying which "some of us" are "spreading nonsense" and which "others are upset" we're talking about. (shrug)

On 1/31/2022 at 1:19 PM, valiantman said:

No - in the situation where the availability in the marketplace is consistently 1%, I stick to my estimate that the original percentage printed might be 5%.

You will stick to your estimate that the percentage of Newsstands printed could be 5% when returns are over 10%? That's... interesting.

On 1/31/2022 at 1:19 PM, valiantman said:

Would you like to supply your sources which claim that newsstand was always at least 20% of the original print run?  I'm happy to review them.

No, since I never said that. Come back when you understand what I wrote.