• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How rare are modern newsstand editions?
6 6

552 posts in this topic

Thank you!  The graders notes say "finger bends on cover" and "crease left center back cover"  It looks very pressable, but you never know until you crack the book out of the case.  She looks very nice in hand.  This is my 10th UF4 newsstand copy.  

UPDATE 6/19/23 - after cracking and pressing the UF4 newsstand is now a CGC 9.8.  This book is available if anyone is on the hunt

Edited by Jim Doerfler

On 3/25/2023 at 9:34 AM, Jim Doerfler said:

Thank you!  The graders notes say "finger bends on cover" and "crease left center back cover"  It looks very pressable, but you never know until you crack the book out of the case.  She looks very nice in hand.  This is my 10th UF4 newsstand copy.  

That's a total 10! I'm glad there are somethings in this current market that are able to bring joy, however probably vicariously lol still hopeful to see what's left when the dust settles....  :cheers:

A lot of time and effort there, us bottom feeders just need the courage to "put in more time and effort!". :roflmao:

So true ☺️😂

On 3/25/2023 at 9:34 AM, Jim Doerfler said:

How long has it taken to gather 10 copies, and how many did you pass up along the way?

On 3/25/2023 at 12:35 PM, valiantman said:

How long has it taken to gather 10 copies, and how many did you pass up along the way?

All but 2 sold.  Its taken about 3 years.  A friend who is active here on the CGC boards has helped me secure almost half of the copies.  

On 3/27/2023 at 8:43 AM, Jim Doerfler said:
On 3/25/2023 at 12:35 PM, valiantman said:

All but 2 sold.  Its taken about 3 years.  A friend who is active here on the CGC boards has helped me secure almost half of the copies.  

So this is your 10th copy, but do you still have 10 copies now or "All but 2 sold" (meaning you only have 2 copies now)?

3 years is a long time to search for 10 copies of a modern book for sure, so that would be an amazing stack if you still have all 10 copies now.

On 6/7/2023 at 8:57 AM, paqart said:

I recently had a conversation with someone at a comic book store about newsstands. He made a video of it and put it on YouTube. Some of you might find it interesting. Just click on the link.

I watched the 13 minutes, some interesting notes. I have found a 35 center star wars #4 from 1977/78 or whatever, and I agree about the hunt with making lists and availability. Seemingly sometimes those are the ones I've sold doh! ie your low grade Star wars clone wars 1 in the $1 bin or X-men vg #266 mark jewelers. 

Not to get off track with the thread: I just think those are the easiest with catch and release "sometimes", when you can have the thrill of the hunt and complete the conquest by grading, and when ready letting it go.; although, I'm not a grade chaser nor flipper, it can feel that way, but it was more about the score, story, and proof that it CAN happen rather than a keepsake or trophy. Somehow I've found that different, and I have kept my Star wars 35 center, as so far it is still the lowest graded and it makes me smile lol:) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM