• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How rare are modern newsstand editions?
6 6

552 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2022 at 9:51 PM, Lobstrosity said:

This explains why you never got back to me I guess xD

Oh, sorry. I forgot about that. I was willing to go for the slightly higher price I mentioned but since I was uncomfortable selling in the first place, that made it easy. Since I don't need the money, my only incentive is to pay for other comics I've bought. Frankly, I'm starting to think of comics as worth more than money. I have even considered accepting comics as payment for drawing comics.

On 3/23/2022 at 8:32 PM, october said:

UF 4 newsstand in the next MCS prime auction. Not mine, will be interesting to see what it brings though. 

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=55868647

The slab and the signature aren’t doing it any favours.    For me, it would be like bidding on a green label  9.4

You submit yours yet? :baiting:

On 3/23/2022 at 5:55 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The slab and the signature aren’t doing it any favours.    For me, it would be like bidding on a green label  9.4

You submit yours yet? :baiting:

Is that how it would work to crack out? Green label?

On 3/23/2022 at 6:25 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Maybe you could take the grade hit & request blue. 

Noooo

Would probably just suck it up and keep it in that holder if it was a book I cared about

On 1/4/2022 at 2:56 PM, valiantman said:

Unless it's a store-specific variant (of which there are now literally thousands), there's no reason any LCS would have huge stocks of newsstand books that they somehow locked up, just waiting for the 41st year after printing to dump them on the market. 

Could it happen?  Yes, just like the purple unicorn thing.

Is it likely?  Uh, well... you don't seem to like numbers and statistics, so I'll just go with "no".

And, I'll add, Comic book stores often have very low inventory of NS issues. As the owner of my LCS explained to me, "I can't buy newsstands unless someone walks in with a collection. As a store, I buy directs from the distributor. Those comics, the directs, are almost 100% of my backstock. These days, and at least for the last decade, collectors do not walk in to sell me things any more. They sell them on eBay instead. On top of all that, no one publishes newsstands any longer". 

That particular store has around 150,000 comics in inventory. Of those, they may have about 150 NS comics, almost all of which are pre-1995.

On 3/21/2023 at 5:27 PM, paqart said:

And, I'll add, Comic book stores often have very low inventory of NS issues. As the owner of my LCS explained to me, "I can't buy newsstands unless someone walks in with a collection. As a store, I buy directs from the distributor. Those comics, the directs, are almost 100% of my backstock. These days, and at least for the last decade, collectors do not walk in to sell me things any more. They sell them on eBay instead. On top of all that, no one publishes newsstands any longer". 

That particular store has around 150,000 comics in inventory. Of those, they may have about 150 NS comics, almost all of which are pre-1995.

Same here, most LCS that I visit usually have a smattering of newsies that are usually beat up. :cry:

On 3/21/2023 at 5:44 PM, mr_highgrade said:

Same here, most LCS that I visit usually have a smattering of newsies that are usually beat up. :cry:

Yep. When I go in to the store, this particular guy will pull out any NS comics he has for me to look at. He rarely has any but when he does, they are titles I don't care about and 1995 or earlier (usually 1991-1995). As for "beat up", he doesn't usually buy beat up comics so that isn't the case with him for anything after 1980 or so. He will buy lower grade if it is a special comic, like Marvel Spotlight #5. He has a CGC 5.0 of that on his wall right now for $500.

On 3/21/2023 at 5:55 PM, paqart said:

Yep. When I go in to the store, this particular guy will pull out any NS comics he has for me to look at. He rarely has any but when he does, they are titles I don't care about and 1995 or earlier (usually 1991-1995). As for "beat up", he doesn't usually buy beat up comics so that isn't the case with him for anything after 1980 or so. He will buy lower grade if it is a special comic, like Marvel Spotlight #5. He has a CGC 5.0 of that on his wall right now for $500.

That Spotlight #5 is a good deal at $500. :gossip:

On 3/21/2023 at 6:16 PM, mr_highgrade said:

That Spotlight #5 is a good deal at $500. :gossip:

As he tells me often "I'm here to sell comics, not to extract the highest price". He also has an 8.0 ASM #39 for $1,200.

On 3/21/2023 at 4:27 PM, paqart said:

In my experience I can find newsstands in Comics shops before the last 90s up to 2000. The amount of inventory and resale does happen. After 2000 I rarely see them at all. Condition is always the issue. I just about a collection of 50 DC newsstands from the 2006 to 008 and almost all of them were NM or close. That never happens.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 3/24/2023 at 10:30 AM, Jim Doerfler said:

I was the purchaser of the Ultimate Fallout 4 9.4 newsstand above.  It was pricey indeed, but I encourage anyone who asks me to always buy the book and not the grade.  

Definitely a fine addition, considering, and I'm hoping the step of Faith turns out well. So far sooooo good! I remember having the option to buy the newsstand for $400 a vf, but bought a Hulk 181 a couple of days before or a week, and I was once again totally broke. No regrets, I just bought the direct that came back 9.8 eventually. They were talking about it at the LCS in hush tones trying to give their regulars a chance first, and this was 2017-18, maybe 19 and it hadn't quite explode, also, I wasn't quite a regular at the LCS yet lol:shy: 

Welcome to the boards!