• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How rare are modern newsstand editions?
6 6

552 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2022 at 8:03 PM, divad said:

Everything you said was correct except this. This is totally unsupported conjecture on your individual assessment (which is anecdotal at best.) :hi:

I bring data and anecdotes to the topic, @paqart brings data and anecdotes, and others bring only anecdotes.

It's not hard to judge value of the contributions here. :hi:

On 1/8/2022 at 8:05 PM, divad said:
On 1/6/2022 at 4:09 PM, Lazyboy said:

Well, they certainly aren't all high grade, but then neither are the Directs.

This alone is a "stone-cold fact." :sumo:

The data points to numbers like 5% high grade newsstand, 15% lower grade newsstand, 20% high grade direct edition, and 60% lower grade direct editions.

I don't know why anyone is still pretending that it's anywhere close to the same score in this game.

On 1/8/2022 at 6:08 PM, valiantman said:
On 1/8/2022 at 6:03 PM, divad said:

Everything you said was correct except this. This is totally unsupported conjecture on your individual assessment (which is anecdotal at best.) :hi:

I bring data and anecdotes to the topic, @paqart brings data and anecdotes, and others bring only anecdotes.

None of what I have said is meant to be critical of you personally, so that comment is a tad unwarranted. I enjoy your posts immensely, but as I said, you appear to be drinking the kool-aid. I am a firm believer that the HG newsstands that I have in my collection are worthy. I just can't say that they are as worthy as you are now alleging.

On 1/8/2022 at 6:10 PM, valiantman said:

The data points to numbers like 5% high grade newsstand, 15% lower grade newsstand, 20% high grade direct edition, and 60% lower grade direct editions.

I don't know why anyone is still pretending that it's anywhere close to the same score in this game.

That sounds very similar to the direct market to me. (shrug)

On 1/8/2022 at 8:13 PM, divad said:
On 1/8/2022 at 8:10 PM, valiantman said:

Did you just say my description of the direct market sounds very similar to the direct market?

Well... yeah. 

On 1/8/2022 at 9:13 PM, divad said:

He's talking about the combined newsstand and direct population. If 5% of the total is high grade newsstand and 20% is high grade direct, then the high grade newsstand numbers are 25% of the high grade direct numbers. I wouldn't describe that as "similar". That said, those numbers look very optimistic to me (regarding newsstands), unless he is talking about the 80's.

On 1/8/2022 at 8:12 PM, divad said:

None of what I have said is meant to be critical of you personally, so that comment is a tad unwarranted. I enjoy your posts immensely, but as I said, you appear to be drinking the kool-aid. I am a firm believer that the HG newsstands that I have in my collection are worthy. I just can't say that they are as worthy as you are now alleging.

I'm "alleging" that comics which come in newsstand and direct edition varieties are found with the lowest percentages as "high grade newsstand". Is there any doubt?

On 1/8/2022 at 8:16 PM, paqart said:

That said, those numbers look very optimistic to me (regarding newsstands), unless he is talking about the 80's.

Yes, I think the only debate remaining is for 1980s newsstands. High grade newsstands are absolutely the lowest percentage for comics 1990s to the end of newsstand production in the 2010s.

On 1/8/2022 at 7:39 PM, darkstar said:

Was there a better time than the past two years for people sitting on old comic books to go through them and list them for sale? 

It was a pretty good time for those who were paying attention to the market and needed money, or at least wanted money more than their comics.

On 1/8/2022 at 8:08 PM, valiantman said:

The "data" you're citing is such a tiny, biased sample that it's all but useless.

On 1/8/2022 at 7:58 PM, divad said:

The majority of collectors do not sell their books. They collect to collect. It's in their genes.:sumo:

The majority of people who have bought comics are not lifelong collectors. If there were an absurd amount of high grade newsstands sitting in neglected collections you would have noticed them coming to market during the pandemic.  

On 1/8/2022 at 7:13 PM, darkstar said:

The majority of people who have bought comics are not lifelong collectors. If there were an absurd amount of high grade newsstands sitting in neglected collections you would have noticed them coming to market during the pandemic.  

This is absolutely wrong pure conjecture.

Edited by divad

On 1/8/2022 at 6:37 PM, valiantman said:

Yes, I think the only debate remaining significant scarceness is for mid-1980s newsstands. High grade newsstands are absolutely the lowest percentage for comics in the early 1990s. to the end of newsstand production in the 2010s.

FTFY.

On 1/8/2022 at 6:17 PM, valiantman said:
On 1/8/2022 at 6:12 PM, divad said:

I'm "alleging" that comics which come in newsstand and direct edition varieties are found with the lowest percentages as "high grade newsstand". Is there any doubt?

There is always doubt; doubt is a significant commodity.

On 1/8/2022 at 6:08 PM, valiantman said:

I bring kinda-data and anecdotes to the topic, @paqart brings kinda-data and anecdotes, and others bring only anecdotes and years of experience.

:drumroll: Clearly, you and paqart are superior beings.

On 1/8/2022 at 11:55 AM, paqart said:

One quick example of this is my tiny collection of slabbed newsstands. Until I get my 75 submissions back from CGC, I presently own 27 slabbed newsstands. Only one is a 9.8. The highest grade I usually find is 9.6. I have seen a few 9.8's that were either too expensive for me or a title I don't collect but for many that I do collect, I'm happy to pay the 9.8 premium. However, those comics are much harder to find than lower grades. Also, although print runs in the 80's were higher, I do not see that many more high grade newsstands from that era. More newsstands, yes, but not high grade. In my experience, the average newsstand from the 80's is going to be in the 6.0-8.0 range. I consider myself lucky to find 9.0's. Later newsstands, while much more difficult to find in any condition, seem more likely to be in high grade when found. The highest grades remain elusive but 9.4-9.6 are what I see fairly often for comics after 1999.

Now that I think of it, I've seen more 9.8 newsstands on this page than available for sale, most are posted by Mr_Highgrade (or so it seems).

Every single 9.8 newsie that I have in my collection, I personally submitted to CGC. I was actively searching them out in the mid 2000's. In fact, I regret that I left so many 9.4's to 9.6's behind. :facepalm: