• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your 2022 collecting goals?
8 8

177 posts in this topic

To ease up on buying books went super hard in the past few months… but I might want for Christmas, ASM 122 to finish my 1-200 ASM collection as I just recently organized my collection and found I was missing that copy… d’oh doh!

Edited by Krismusic

On 9/2/2022 at 7:31 PM, PKJ said:

How has everyone faired this year? I was just updating my list and noticed I have sorta been focused on the list.

Big Key
Showcase 4
Stretch                           
Incredible Hulk 3
Primer 2  

Standard
Spawn 174
Iron Man 55
Conan 1
Ewoks 1
Showcase 27
Wonder Woman 200
Brave and Bold 57
Transformers 8
Shield 1

I have several books that will rollover into 2023 but was able to knock several off the list this year. The second half of the year was much easier to land a few more books.

Big Key
Showcase 4
Stretch 
Incredible Hulk 3
Incredible Hulk 4 
Action 252
Flash 123
Primer 2

Standard
Spawn 174
Iron Man 55
Conan 1
Ewoks 1
Showcase 27
Wonder Woman 200
Brave and Bold 57
Transformers 8
Shield 1

On 12/23/2021 at 11:22 PM, grendelbo said:

1. Rebag and board many, many more books.

2. Grade more of my collection.

3. Reread back issues, focusing on runs and story arcs.

4. Formulate a plan in reducing the inventory in my collection. 10 years back I went from 5K+ to 1500 or so. I'd like it to be 1000 or less within a few years. The ultimate goal is 500 books.

5. Since I won't pay current market prices, I'll focus on niche interests and hope for the possibility of a steal or an incredible find (I'm long overdue for another one).

6. Let go of some key books and trade for those that'll mean more to me.

7. Crack some slabs.

8. Continue to appreciate what I've managed to put together over 35 years in the hobby.

(3000th post BTW - good thread for it to be in.)

I forgot about this thread. How'd I do?

1. Yes, a few hundred.
  2. Barely. Made it through one long box.
  3. Yes and no. I read mainly EC reprints and a few misc. issues. I'm behind reading all the new books I acquired which isn't good.
  4. Nope, not even close.
  5. Yes, but nothing extraordinary. I did get a good deal on a very nice mid-grade ASM 59 which I love.
  6. Nah, not yet.
  7. No.
  8. Yes definitely.

Now I'm at 7000 posts. Busy year in a sense.

On 12/26/2022 at 5:41 PM, grendelbo said:
On 12/24/2021 at 12:22 AM, grendelbo said:

. Rebag and board many, many more books.

2. Grade more of my collection.

3. Reread back issues, focusing on runs and story arcs.

4. Formulate a plan in reducing the inventory in my collection. 10 years back I went from 5K+ to 1500 or so. I'd like it to be 1000 or less within a few years. The ultimate goal is 500 books.

5. Since I won't pay current market prices, I'll focus on niche interests and hope for the possibility of a steal or an incredible find (I'm long overdue for another one).

6. Let go of some key books and trade for those that'll mean more to me.

7. Crack some slabs.

8. Continue to appreciate what I've managed to put together over 35 years in the hobby.

(3000th post BTW - good thread for it to be in.)

I forgot about this thread. How'd I do?

1. Yes, a few hundred.
  2. Barely. Made it through one long box.
  3. Yes and no. I read mainly EC reprints and a few misc. issues. I'm behind reading all the new books I acquired which isn't good.
  4. Nope, not even close.
  5. Yes, but nothing extraordinary. I did get a good deal on a very nice mid-grade ASM 59 which I love.
  6. Nah, not yet.
  7. No.
  8. Yes definitely.

Now I'm at 7000 posts. Busy year in a sense.

9) impressed that you remembered this post, 10) know the answers as they are relative the entire year, and 11) still have a lot of good stuff to be thankful for! Many boardies speaking up that 2022 was harder, more than 2021, it made me say a lot of prayers and continue to be grateful.

If I can help in any of your goals let me know, especially #5. This place does make finding #5 easier. Christmas pics already have me :drool:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/26/2022 at 4:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

9) impressed that you remembered this post, 10) know the answers as they are relative the entire year, and 11) still have a lot of good stuff to be thankful for! Many boardies speaking up that 2022 was harder, more than 2021, it made me say a lot of prayers and continue to be grateful.

If I can help in any of your goals let me know, especially #5. This place does make finding #5 easier. Christmas pics already have me :drool:

That store-stamped X-Men was an unexpected and great find this year.

Thanks again!

On 12/22/2021 at 5:59 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I see I had no aspirations from last year, according to the posted time capsule thread in the first post.

Seeing I think I did ok this year, pretty much the same then next year.

In reality I might dial it back a little and save some actual cash, for the future, not sure.

I wasn't specific enough, I think I dialed back cgc submissions. I paid about the same but got less acquired in raws, so dialed it back a little until this uears end. Still a lot of impulse purchases, just different times and places. There was a lot more available in trade this year, and I'm not sure if those have all played out yet, we'll see :)

On 12/26/2022 at 5:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I wasn't specific enough, I think I dialed back cgc submissions. I paid about the same but got less acquired in raws, so dialed it back a little until this uears end. Still a lot of impulse purchases, just different times and places. There was a lot more available in trade this year, and I'm not sure if those have all played out yet, we'll see :)

Judging by your posts in "This week in your collection" you did very well.

:golfclap:

On 1/3/2022 at 11:23 PM, KCOComics said:

This thread has been allot of fun to read! 

I feel like I have a ton of goals I work on at once.  

My big goals would be to continue the slow, methodic and expensive task of upgrading my Marvel SA keys. 

I'm always looking to add some GA books (PCH, WWII, Atomic Age) 

And my less expensive goal is to continue progress on a complete House of Secrets run, with 81 - 154 being a 9.0 or higher.  This goal has stretched out over years and isn't a priority. I just add a few books when I have an opportunity to. 

I did pretty well on this. 

My big goals would be to continue the slow, methodic and expensive task of upgrading my Marvel SA keys

I upgraded my JIM83 from a 2.0 to a 4.5. And my Avengers 4 from a 3.5 to a 6.0. 

I'm always looking to add some GA books (PCH, WWII, Atomic Age) 

I added a bunch of cool books. A handful of ECs, some WWII covers... Really exciting stuff in GA. 

continue progress on a complete House of Secrets run, with 81 - 154 being a 9.0 or higher.  This goal has stretched out over years and isn't a priority. I just add a few books when I have an opportunity to. 

I've given up on having a complete HOS run and instead I'm just focusing on the 70s horror run.  I probably added 10 - 12 books this year and added two pieces of OA. 

On 12/26/2022 at 7:37 PM, oakman29 said:

Well coming back to this I was pleasantly surprised by a fellow board member Wombat during the last years Christmas raffle. This Frazetta autographed comic.

So my goal was fulfilled from January.  Thanks my brother.

20220120_152800.jpg.fc7a729e4eeeec76038b49afe780d4e3.jpg

IMG_4070.thumb.JPG.31f977e8b0a189bb3f61bbef70b3c9dd.jpeg.814d89f88be654a9beb2287cd27af2be.jpeg

Beautiful! 

Idk much about it, now may not be the time to ask? Does the stamp imply that these were "authorized by a website?" Or is there a way to find my own? That is my inquiry but lol idk details of things available  :shy:

On 12/26/2022 at 7:46 PM, batman_fan said:

Get my Batman 1, 8, 59, 65, 70, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 98, and 99 graded

Got my 8, 59, 65, 70, 92, 94, 95, and 98 graded

Given tat, these must be the most happy joyous that they turned out well!

I'm sure Diligence in the aurora was icing on the cake, was fun to see those posted  :)

On 12/26/2022 at 5:43 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Beautiful! 

Idk much about it, now may not be the time to ask? Does the stamp imply that these were "authorized by a website?" Or is there a way to find my own? That is my inquiry but lol idk details of things available  :shy:

That it was authorized by Frazetta.  

On 12/26/2022 at 8:10 PM, oakman29 said:

That it was authorized by Frazetta.  

That's what I thought thank you.

If I only I had been more passionate about it earlier on, it might have been more readily found. It's appreciated,  because avenues of official and authorized would beyond my basic Google search capabilities  :)

But it does help narrow it down :cheers:

I didn’t do so well I went completely off my collecting goals burned a few thousand on modern stuff, and some slabbed ones; got some statues and tried to relive my younger days trying to build my Pokémon card collection back.. didn’t go as well as I hoped. At least near end of year I got back on track picked up a new mutants 98..

new year new collecting goals!!!! 

On 1/3/2022 at 11:01 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I decided I was going to focus on high-grade (8.5/VF+ and above), Silver Age Marvels, with special emphasis on filling in spots in my major runs (ASM, Avengers, FF, JIM/Thor) or upgrading books that needed it.  I'd give myself about a C+ since mid-October on sticking to this.

The other collection I started in 2021 was Planet Comics and expect to pursue it further this year.  I didn't have a single Golden Age book 6 months ago, and chose that title to focus on.

I can't promise to stick to these two areas precisely - I have some upgrading of Bronze Age books to do that I received as subscriptions, but those are all in the "target of opportunity" space.  I intend to spend a lot less overall, but probably more per book on average in 2022.

Incredibly, unbelievably, this is basically exactly what happened.  I spent about 60 percent as much as 2021 but bought only 187 "comic books."  Of these, 45 were ASM, 12 were Avengers, 34 were Fantastic Four and 7 were JIM/Thor.  I also picked up 6 Strange Tales, 14 TOS and 2 TTA.  I also bought 11 Planet Comics.  I did pick up other random stuff, like a bunch of Big Little Books and some pulps, but not much.

The only "miss" here is in the grades, but it's hardly news that high grade Silver books are expensive and Planets skyrocketed in price this year so I have some 5.0-7.0s in there and also some readers (which, after all, are just another chance to upgrade).  Plan is pretty much unchanged for 2023.

On 12/26/2022 at 8:54 PM, Krismusic said:

I didn’t do so well I went completely off my collecting goals burned a few thousand on modern stuff, and some slabbed ones; got some statues and tried to relive my younger days trying to build my Pokémon card collection back.. didn’t go as well as I hoped. At least near end of year I got back on track picked up a new mutants 98..

new year new collecting goals!!!! 

Side tracks are easy and I found that out a year before this one, thats why I was thankful for this thread. Even then the goal oriented wasn't in me to be specific, but I'm right there with you. I guess if need be, to study analyze what we're "after" especially when it isn't natural for us like "right now!" Lol

Having ideas is 1st, perhaps, then of those make goals. Last year I had no ideas, so that's my thing this year I got some, and if there is a new thread I might have the goals to pursue  :wishluck:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/22/2021 at 2:41 PM, chrisco37 said:

I have 4 books left to complete my ASM run.  Hoping to knock one (or more) off the list in 2022.  I know I won’t be able to do all 4.  

On 12/22/2021 at 4:07 PM, universal soldier said:

Same, hoping prices moderate some and that I can grab two of the four.

While I only grabbed one of the four I'm planning on finishing this off in the next couple months. Just need to find the books and pull the trigger at the grade I'm hoping.