• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Cornfield Library lounge area thread. Off topic posts are allowed!
15 15

40,333 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2023 at 6:29 PM, 1950's war comics said:

Golden Age:  DISCOVERY.

Silver Age:    INNOCENCE.

Bronze Age:  EXPERIENCE.

Copper Age:  DECLINE.

Modern Age:  DARKNESS.

I respect your opinion

Now, here’s another:

Golden Age: The Birth…
Silver Age: The Death…
Bronze Age: The Resurrection…
Copper Age: The Pinnacle…
Modern Age: The Duality…

On 11/26/2023 at 11:51 PM, DR.X said:

ant man 1.jpg

ant man 2.jpg

ant man 3.jpg

That is actually a scientifically accurate ant Laz-ee Boy. 

Was stoked for the Cyber Monday (Booksgiving?) sale at MyComicShop, but was disappointed by the measly 10% discount. Sure, they have freebies, but they are freebies for a reason; they have no meaningful value. I made an order that ended up being more expensive than most sellers on eBay, but I needed some issues from their store that were rare (and I wanted to have a discount on them). I ended up cutting out a lot of issues that still remained above a certain price. Definitely not satisfied with the skimp.

Edited by stormflora

On 11/27/2023 at 12:52 PM, stormflora said:

Was stoked for the Cyber Monday (Booksgiving?) sale at MyComicShop, but was disappointed by the measly 10% discount. Sure, they have freebies, but they are freebies for a reason; they have no meaningful value. I made an order that ended up being more expensive than most sellers on eBay, but I needed some issues from their store that were rare (and I wanted to have a discount on them). I ended up cutting out a lot of issues that still remained above a certain price. Definitely not satisfied with the skimp.

10% off wouldn't sound too bad, and yet I guess even then, you have to sign up for the their email? to get a code? Checking the site itself I didn't see even that mentioned. So IDK

Basically the 10% off would just make it face value and shipping in Texas, with 8.25% tax here and usually mcs charges their 3% consignment fee on top, basically 11.25%, so the 10% would maybe make it list price :shy: 

On 11/27/2023 at 2:05 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

10% off wouldn't sound too bad, and yet I guess even then, you have to sign up for the their email? to get a code? Checking the site itself I didn't see even that mentioned. So IDK

On 11/27/2023 at 2:06 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Basically the 10% off would just make it face value and shipping in Texas, with 8.25% tax here and usually mcs charges their 3% consignment fee on top, basically 11.25%, so the 10% would maybe make it list price :shy: 

Nah, it's a site-wide discount. The only e-mail sign-up would be an account to actually make purchases on their site. Shipping and taxes definitely negates that discount, as you say.

They try to make it seem more pleasing with a free comic for every $10, but as we all know, they're dollar bin stuff.

I just noticed that Mile High puts up a lot of their comics onto HipComic for below-sale prices, and with cheap shipping too. Prices that are actually not a total rip-off. Tempted again to make an order seeing the prices of some of these issues, and because of how HipComic accepts PayPal. I see a lot of issues graded up to Good or Very Good being under $7-10, and it seems like their feedback is solid. Worth giving a small order to try, as I can fill a lot of gaps in my run. Not that I'm advocating or recommending them, but as long as it isn't literal trash, I'll be content.

Edited by stormflora

On 11/29/2023 at 2:27 AM, stormflora said:

I just noticed that Mile High puts up a lot of their comics onto HipComic for below-sale prices, and with cheap shipping too. Prices that are actually not a total rip-off. Tempted again to make an order seeing the prices of some of these issues, and because of how HipComic accepts PayPal. I see a lot of issues graded up to Good or Very Good being under $7-10, and it seems like their feedback is solid. Worth giving a small order to try, as I can fill a lot of gaps in my run. Not that I'm advocating or recommending them, but as long as it isn't literal trash, I'll be content.

I'd be interested to know what their vg and good condition wise look like. It may vary,  but still let us know if you order or receive some. :)

On 11/29/2023 at 9:19 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'd be interested to know what their vg and good condition wise look like. It may vary,  but still let us know if you order or receive some. :)

I actually did. I'll update as to what the condition of the comics are like once I receive them. I'm curious to see how accurate their grading is. The prices were cheap enough to be hard to ignore in order to fill a good number of gaps in my collection. At worst, I can try some restoration (unlike others, I'm open to this), or resell to upgrade.

Edited by stormflora

On 11/29/2023 at 2:27 AM, stormflora said:

They sell on ebay also. I was curious to see if they were posting actual pics of the books on HipComic. I see that they are just stock photos, just like their Ebay listings.

I compared a few prices on specific books. Some of the ebay prices were lower and some were higher. Problem is without real photos there's no way to tell if they're even the same book.  If you're happy with what you bought, maybe check both sites before buying in the future. 

I hope you get some nice books! 

On 11/29/2023 at 11:45 AM, BriD. said:

They sell on ebay also. I was curious to see if they were posting actual pics of the books on HipComic. I see that they are just stock photos, just like their Ebay listings.

I compared a few prices on specific books. Some of the ebay prices were lower and some were higher. Problem is without real photos there's no way to tell if they're even the same book.  If you're happy with what you bought, maybe check both sites before buying in the future. 

I hope you get some nice books! 

I'm fully aware about their eBay store as well. The prices there are assorted. But they charge outrageous shipping there, and they also banned me there for simply asking them about possibly combining the shipping. Seems they don't want to waste any bit of their breath. Hilarious, really.

HipComic was the one store where the comics were actually priced consistently low, as if they were persistently on sale. And they set up a flat $6.95 shipping cost regardless of quantity, which isn't offered on their storefront or eBay. That is quite significant. I could have ordered on their storefront during Black Friday, and I considered it several times, but I was ultimately reluctant to providing explicit credit card information.

I too hope that I do not get shafted by these Fair or Good-graded comics. Fingers are crossed here. As long as they are at least salvageable with some restoration, I'll consider it a win.

On 11/29/2023 at 10:52 AM, stormflora said:

I'm fully aware about their eBay store as well. The prices there are assorted. But they charge outrageous shipping there, and they also banned me there for simply asking them about possibly combining the shipping. Seems they don't want to waste any bit of their breath. Hilarious, really.

HipComic was the one store where the comics were actually priced consistently low, as if they were persistently on sale. And they set up a flat $6.95 shipping cost regardless of quantity, which isn't offered on their storefront or eBay. That is quite significant. I could have ordered on their storefront during Black Friday, and I considered it several times, but I was ultimately reluctant to providing explicit credit card information.

I too hope that I do not get shafted by these Fair or Good-graded comics. Fingers are crossed here. As long as they are at least salvageable with some restoration, I'll consider it a win.

You got me curious about that now also. Maybe they changed their policy since you tried to order in the past. This is from an ebay listing.

"In addition to our low prices, you can also combine an unlimited number of comics (up to 20 comics) and books into a single order for only a $6.95 shipping charge for delivery anywhere in the USA, and $25.00 shipping on most International orders."

On 11/29/2023 at 12:19 PM, BriD. said:

You got me curious about that now also. Maybe they changed their policy since you tried to order in the past. This is from an ebay listing.

"In addition to our low prices, you can also combine an unlimited number of comics (up to 20 comics) and books into a single order for only a $6.95 shipping charge for delivery anywhere in the USA, and $25.00 shipping on most International orders."

I'm not sure myself, since they blocked me. So I can't get any sort of shipping estimate. But I recall seeing that it was busted for the short time I was going through their eBay store. Regardless, eBay has a notoriously awful system in place for calculating shipping charges, which I'm sure you are aware of.