• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Cornfield Library lounge area thread. Off topic posts are allowed!
15 15

40,335 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2023 at 11:24 AM, CGC Mike said:

My wife is deathly afraid of snakes.  One was crawling across the driveway, and onto the lawn.  She told me to get rid of it.  (her remedy for getting rid of a snake it to kill it)  I walked up, picked the snake up carried it way out back and let it go in the canal.  When I picked it up, she started screaming.  (I grabbed it by the tail, and it was flopping all around pretty good) I was like, you screamed for me to get rid of it, and now you are screaming when I'm doing it.  

lol

Now you know what to get her for Christmas.... 

On 5/12/2023 at 8:24 PM, CGC Mike said:

My wife is deathly afraid of snakes.  One was crawling across the driveway, and onto the lawn.  She told me to get rid of it.  (her remedy for getting rid of a snake it to kill it)  I walked up, picked the snake up carried it way out back and let it go in the canal.  When I picked it up, she started screaming.  (I grabbed it by the tail, and it was flopping all around pretty good) I was like, you screamed for me to get rid of it, and now you are screaming when I'm doing it.  

Sounds about right. Do you know what kind of snake? Garden, rat, or one of the venomous?

• Administrator
On 5/12/2023 at 11:46 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Sounds about right. Do you know what kind of snake? Garden, rat, or one of the venomous?

It was just a Rat snake.  I leave the poisonous ones alone.  There was a large Cottonmouth curled up on our boat quite a while back.  I had him pinned with a boat hook.  Another boater was off to get something to kill it.  It wasn't trying to attack me and I felt I was just being mean to it, so I let it go into the water.  

Last summer, we were camp hosts at a 23,000 acre preserve.  There was a large, Diamond Back Rattlesnake slithering slowly towards the thicket.  I walked up to about 3 feet from it.  The snake totally ignored me, and continued on his path.  I thought it was very rude of it to do that.  An extremely pretty creature.  The pic does not do it justice.

Diamond Back Rattler.jpg

You'd feel right at home in Australia, Mike. 

• Administrator
On 5/13/2023 at 8:39 AM, Cat said:

If I was in Australia, I would be out looking for those monster gold nuggets.  

On 5/13/2023 at 10:46 PM, CGC Mike said:

Just remember your good Australian buddy when you find one! Don't forget the little guy. :peace:

On 5/13/2023 at 10:54 PM, FoggyNelson said:

Good morning good morning everybody

Morning, Foggy. How're things? 

Fast and the Furious was really good, unrealistic, but really good imo. Idk if I'm getting tired of "fight scenes" where we're like ok punches for the next five minutes, but at least for the most part it was very motivated :x

On 5/14/2023 at 12:08 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Fast and the Furious was really good, unrealistic, but really good imo. Idk if I'm getting tired of "fight scenes" where we're like ok punches for the next five minutes, but at least for the most part it was very motivated :x

How was Jason Momoa as the villain? 

On 5/14/2023 at 3:33 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

He played it really well, very flamboyant, which fit the character lol 

Sounds like the sort of thing he'd love. 

On 5/13/2023 at 7:08 AM, CGC Mike said:

It was just a Rat snake.  I leave the poisonous ones alone.  There was a large Cottonmouth curled up on our boat quite a while back.  I had him pinned with a boat hook.  Another boater was off to get something to kill it.  It wasn't trying to attack me and I felt I was just being mean to it, so I let it go into the water.  

Last summer, we were camp hosts at a 23,000 acre preserve.  There was a large, Diamond Back Rattlesnake slithering slowly towards the thicket.  I walked up to about 3 feet from it.  The snake totally ignored me, and continued on his path.  I thought it was very rude of it to do that.  An extremely pretty creature.  The pic does not do it justice.

Diamond Back Rattler.jpg

I could not agree more with all of what you said.

Leave the poisonous ones alone. 

No sense in killing if it truly does not pose a danger.  This gets wildly misinterpreted. 

I like to think of it this way. Are you out in it's habit and not many people around? (Leave it be) however if you are in a more populated area (especially with kids around) either call [animal control] or kill (immediate danger) last resort.  

Most of the dangerous ones are gorgeous and amazing to watch at a safe distance.  Good rule of thumb is at least 2× their body length as most can lunge 2/3 their body length.  That said they can move extremely fast and can rapidly close the distance from safe to dangerous before you can blink. 

I worked in the Blackwater State Forrest for a few years and almost every morning take trips down the Blackwater river clearing wash out holes next to stumps where water Moccasins would enjoy the slowed water  and several times have to clear the balls of sunning Moccasins near banks to make the river safe to traverse during summer. 

20230513_143222.jpg.cb5fc525dd22489420b472dac7b4fac6.jpg

(Not my photo as I didn't carry a camera back then [ it probably would have only served as a distraction])

There are many times I have seen 6+ ft Diamond Backs, at least most of the time when they are worried about you they let you know,  and from my experiences with them , like you, they usually just dont pay us any attention.  They really are not that aggressive unless prompted.  

The main ones here in Florida you do have to really watch out for are Copperheads (more aggressive) and the Water Moccasins (Cottonmouth) these are more likely to just puff up, raise their heads , tilt top of head back opening their mouth wide to deter interaction, however you are more likely to accidentally step on or put you hand down on them which leads to the most strikes.  On average the water Moccasins venom has about 17% mortality rate. However you are much more likely to get a very nasty infection more problematic than the venom. 

On 5/13/2023 at 7:46 AM, CGC Mike said:

:gossip: and the opal. 

On 5/13/2023 at 7:39 AM, Cat said:

Time to get a couple of buddies and saddle up some of those build kangaroos and have a good ol fashioned Outback Roo Jousting . :baiting: