• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do YOU keep your beautiful white covers white?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

So here's a book that I purchased in 2015. The striking appeal of the book when purchased was how white the cover was. Here's a scan from 2015:

ASM1963-005-029508e.jpg.b3ce8beb3978e4e0958971172f776d5f.jpg

After acquiring the book, it was immediately placed in a Mylite 2 with acid-free fullback, and inserted into a 4 mil. Mylar "Archives" sleeve, then placed with other books in a magazine-sized box in a dehumidified storage area. So from a preservation standpoint, I've checked off all the boxes... except for one thing: I did not insert any buffer paper between the cover and the interior newsprint paper. 

When pulling out the book today, I notice the cover discoloured as compared to before (maybe I'm imagining it but I don't think so). By deduction, the acids in the interior newsprint would seem to be the primary cause as I did not place any buffer paper between the front and back cover to divide the interior. 

IMG_8607.thumb.JPG.8117d3b0ee18b15eae3b33048c668711.JPG

I have since placed buffer paper in this book. I am conteplating doing this with other books (like I need another project). But the question here is: do any of you use any type of MicroChamber or buffer paper for your books? Is the lack thereof even the cause? What do YOU do to keep your white covers white?

Could have been a super model photo shop scan by original seller. Otherwise no idea. If you keep your comics at a steady temperature above freezing and steady humidity that isn't extremely low or high you shouldn't have any problems short term. Paper doesn't stay the same forever but 5 10 years is nothing. 

On 12/28/2021 at 1:39 PM, letsgrumble said:

So here's a book that I purchased in 2015. The striking appeal of the book when purchased was how white the cover was. Here's a scan from 2015:

After acquiring the book, it was immediately placed in a Mylite 2 with acid-free fullback, and inserted into a 4 mil. Mylar "Archives" sleeve, then placed with other books in a magazine-sized box in a dehumidified storage area. So from a preservation standpoint, I've checked off all the boxes... except for one thing: I did not insert any buffer paper between the cover and the interior newsprint paper. 

When pulling out the book today, I notice the cover discoloured as compared to before (maybe I'm imagining it but I don't think so). By deduction, the acids in the interior newsprint would seem to be the primary cause as I did not place any buffer paper between the front and back cover to divide the interior. 

I have since placed buffer paper in this book. I am conteplating doing this with other books (like I need another project). But the question here is: do any of you use any type of MicroChamber or buffer paper for your books? Is the lack thereof even the cause? What do YOU do to keep your white covers white?

Like it says on the cover: It had to happen sooner or later...  :whistle:

Comparing a scan to a photo (through two layers of mylar) at an angle is really a difficult comparison. Maybe your scanner settings were brighter, more contrast, etc. 

I use microchamber paper for books of value (one in front, back, and centerfold). As others have said, eventually heat, humidity and time will do its work. More of any of them makes it work faster. 

That's a nice book btw (thumbsu

On 12/31/2021 at 3:44 PM, jcjames said:

Comparing a scan to a photo (through two layers of mylar) at an angle is really a difficult comparison. Maybe your scanner settings were brighter, more contrast, etc. 

I use microchamber paper for books of value (one in front, back, and centerfold). As others have said, eventually heat, humidity and time will do its work. More of any of them makes it work faster. 

That's a nice book btw (thumbsu

Thanks everyone! I want to keep my whitey's white!

I'm going to go through my books and add buffer paper in the front and back for those books that I think need it. Good winter project (as any) during renewed COVID restrictions.

So, despite protecting my precious comic collection from environmental hazards by using acid-free boards, Mylar, in boxes stored off the floor in a cool, dry place with no lighting, I cannot prevent the comic from eventually destroying itself. 

On 1/5/2022 at 5:20 PM, letsgrumble said:

So, despite protecting my precious comic collection from environmental hazards by using acid-free boards, Mylar, in boxes stored off the floor in a cool, dry place with no lighting, I cannot prevent the comic from eventually destroying itself. 

Meh...the human body is the same way, no?

On 1/5/2022 at 5:20 PM, letsgrumble said:

So, despite protecting my precious comic collection from environmental hazards by using acid-free boards, Mylar, in boxes stored off the floor in a cool, dry place with no lighting, I cannot prevent the comic from eventually destroying itself

The bold is funny, but yes, your statement is true (unless you use conservation and/or restoration methods). @lostboys's analogy to the human body is astute.

On 12/28/2021 at 10:39 AM, letsgrumble said:

I've used Microchamber paper in my high end books for almost 20 years.  In my experience, it does nothing - zero - to prevent yellowing of the paper, so I've now stopped buying more of it as I believe it to be a waste of money.  

The best you can do is keep your books sealed in mylar with a buffered back board and stored in a cool, dry, dark place.  

I've kept my entire 40+ year collection in polybags and regular boards in my basement with a dehumidifier and that's worked great for me.  I just had a sub of 70s and 80s books come back from CGC with noted "WHITE pages."  This is for books nearly 50 years old.  I don't doubt that expensive mylar and buffer boards can slow the aging process, but when you have as many books as I do, that's cost-prohibitive for what appears (to me) to be a comparatively negligible slowing of age.