2022 "THIS SCORE NEEDS FIXIN" REQUESTS"
3 3

82 posts in this topic

  • Administrator

2022 "THIS SCORE NEEDS FIXIN" REQUESTS"

This is the place to request that scores in the CGC Registry competitive scores be evaluated. You may have slight disagreements with scores, but some of those slight disagreements just boil down to a judgment call. What we're looking for here are clearly incorrect scoring examples.

 

When making requests, please use full title of the book and publish date

Start with the key issues that you feel need the attention the most. 

 

Please avoid requests like "Update all scores in X-Men (1963)." 

 

Please note:  Scores are loosely based on Fair Market Value. 

CGC does not set prices for comic books in the open market.  

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Please see this post by Gemma for more information:

FAQ - How are comics scored?

 

Comic scores do not equate to market dollars.

 

A more valuable book will in most cases receive more Registry points, but its score is not directly correlated to its value. The algorithm is also designed to enhance and encourage competition in the Registry by reducing extremes in value differences between grades and categories. For this reason a very valuable book may receive fewer points than might be expected, or a relatively common book will receive more points than might otherwise be expected.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

If it is determined that a score needs to be adjusted, I will take the last 3-4 recent sales on GP Analysis to come up with an average score.  If there is insufficient sales data, I will go to the published price in The Overstreet Price Guide.  

 

Also, please focus on single book. For example, Upgrades that are under valued in points, not 700-800 books that need to go up one point.

 

*Posts that have been edited after the original posting date will be skipped and not revisited. Meaning, if you add more to your request at a later date, I will not fulfill it. Your request will be ignored and you need to resubmit your request. 

In short, don't try to skip others.

Make a new post for your new requests, don't add to the old one.

 

***If the score simply has a “0” just PM me and I will fix it.****

Thank you for your patience and participation in the registry!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SCORE UPDATE RECOMMENDATION:

  • Hellboy Supplement nn - this one is a bit unique. Given the rarity of this one, and the sales I've seen, I'd recommend a CGC PG move to 200 points (e-Bay sales pic). For the lone CGC 9.0 slab on the market, who knows....500 points seems fair.
    • Side note....I keep trying to add this book to my registry set but it states that it isn't valid. There is only ONE book that snuck through CGC with a CGC 9.0 grade before you guys started slabbing these in PG slabs. HOWEVER, my previous unsigned CGC PG copy was OK for the slot.... hm Know who I can speak with to get this one in to my registry set?
  • San Diego Comic-Con Comics 2 - the CGC 9.8 Universal is currently 440. I'd recommend this be increased by at least 50% to 670 (screenshot of last 6 below). CGC 9.8 Signature is only at 484. I'd recommend that we increase the points to 1,000 for CGC 9.8 SS copies based on recent sales (screenshot below). 

 

48767235248_5c5fb1feb2_b.jpg

 

image.png.38f6edc140b218f8bcd0ee85a5074da7.png

 

image.png.f96d8f0ae66a4f3d9ba4203c801b7e77.png

San Diego Comic Con #2

UNIVERSAL

image.thumb.png.80629c8b8c45c48e3ce0130c7debb9f2.png

SIGNATURE

image.thumb.png.ea8082d5ea2bf28abbc4c7ce5a6f0b2c.png

 

Scores Adjusted per request.

Supplement nn is present in the Hellboy (1993-1994) set.

Can you attempt to add that book to your set again, I would like to see the specific error message generated.

Thanks!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Detective Comics 28 (1939) needs a huge score bump

A CGC 6.0 sold tonight for $66,000 on Heritage but is only worth 33250 points.

There are only 15 graded universal copies, 4 of which are 0.5s. Naturally it is impossible to supply many more recent data points for such an uncommon book. As per HA item description: The second appearance of Batman is so tough to find in unrestored condition that in the past 22 years we've only offered three copies in better condition than GD/VG 3.0!

Thanks.

Adjusted Score 2/14/22

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Astonishing Tales #1 9.8 just sold for nearly $ 5,000 - but it has not been updated for years if ever - it's only 560 points. 

Could you look into Astonishing Tales #1 to #10? 

Best,

Rune

Astonishing Tales #s 1,2,3,4,6,7,8 adjusted

#s 5,9,10 not adjusted as sales data falls in line with current scores.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,

Captain America Comics #3 needs a large point adjustment. A 2.0 sold for $18,000 in January of 2021. A 4.5 sold for $38400 also in January of 2022.  Certification #3783746001. 9.2 is only 28,000 points so it needs to be almost quadrupled in my opinion.

Anything you can do is appreciated! Thanks!

Score Adjusted 2/15/22

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2022 at 9:42 PM, AGGIEZ said:

SCORE UPDATE RECOMMENDATION:

  • Hellboy Supplement nn - this one is a bit unique. Given the rarity of this one, and the sales I've seen, I'd recommend a CGC PG move to 200 points (e-Bay sales pic). For the lone CGC 9.0 slab on the market, who knows....500 points seems fair.
    • Side note....I keep trying to add this book to my registry set but it states that it isn't valid. There is only ONE book that snuck through CGC with a CGC 9.0 grade before you guys started slabbing these in PG slabs. HOWEVER, my previous unsigned CGC PG copy was OK for the slot.... hm Know who I can speak with to get this one in to my registry set?
  • San Diego Comic-Con Comics 2 - the CGC 9.8 Universal is currently 440. I'd recommend this be increased by at least 50% to 670 (screenshot of last 6 below). CGC 9.8 Signature is only at 484. I'd recommend that we increase the points to 1,000 for CGC 9.8 SS copies based on recent sales (screenshot below). 

 

48767235248_5c5fb1feb2_b.jpg

 

image.png.38f6edc140b218f8bcd0ee85a5074da7.png

 

image.png.f96d8f0ae66a4f3d9ba4203c801b7e77.png

San Diego Comic Con #2

UNIVERSAL

image.thumb.png.80629c8b8c45c48e3ce0130c7debb9f2.png

SIGNATURE

image.thumb.png.ea8082d5ea2bf28abbc4c7ce5a6f0b2c.png

 

Scores Adjusted per request.

Supplement nn is present in the Hellboy (1993-1994) set.

Can you attempt to add that book to your set again, I would like to see the specific error message generated.

Thanks!

 


Thanks!!!! Just tried it again…this is what I’m seeing.

 

D2AC4631-2419-4040-9145-2AF4CE272F83.jpeg

 

Hello @AGGIEZ

The issue is there is not a numerical score associated with that item:

PG will represent individual pages or wraps submitted to CGC for encapsulation. CVR includes front covers, back covers and full covers. Incomplete copies that contain more than one wrap will continue to be encapsulated in the NG category. Because these parts fall below Poor on the comic grading scale, CGC designations will not apply a technical numeric grade.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/4326/CGC-no-grade-designation/

 

Since that cert number is not an actual book with a numerical score, it cannot be added to the registry.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2022 at 9:06 PM, AGGIEZ said:


Thanks!!!! Just tried it again…this is what I’m seeing.

 

D2AC4631-2419-4040-9145-2AF4CE272F83.jpeg

 

Hello @AGGIEZ

The issue is there is not a numerical score associated with that item:

PG will represent individual pages or wraps submitted to CGC for encapsulation. CVR includes front covers, back covers and full covers. Incomplete copies that contain more than one wrap will continue to be encapsulated in the NG category. Because these parts fall below Poor on the comic grading scale, CGC designations will not apply a technical numeric grade.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/4326/CGC-no-grade-designation/

 

Since that cert number is not an actual book with a numerical score, it cannot be added to the registry.

 

 

 

 

Just got this email as well…

 

 

500EF06D-4E1D-432F-8728-026BBEAA3337.png

 

See comments above

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Btw, in case you need some more info about Astonishing Tales:

AT1.thumb.png.12ed221f535050307ff879661165c53d.png

Lastest sale - it's only 560 points in the Registry.

 

ST2.thumb.png.36ad544cba9caa75fee38c12e02221a0.png

 

It's only 340 points in the Registy.

 

This is issue 6 - but CGC 9.4, not 9.8:

ST4.thumb.png.f625d3fc5761f76f0165ddd4158dfebc.png

 

So that's only 130 points for $1k. 

Edited by Rune
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scores adjusted 2/15/22

Once again, thank you for this comprehensive list, I really appreciate it.  I have adjusted the scores to fall in line with other grades where possible.

 

Hi Brian

I'd like to request a few more reviews for Silver and Bronze books where Registry points have slipped behind current market trends.

For convenience I've used the 9.4 grade as an indicator of market trends for specific books in order to compare current registry points with latest reported GPA sales prices as per the table below.

Thanks for considering.

Title # Significance of Book Current Registry Points for Universal 9.4 grade Most recent GPA for Universal 9.4 grade ($)
         
Amazing Spider-man 51 Second appearance of Kingpin; first appearance on cover 1575 3105
Amazing Spider-man 55 Classic Doctor Octopus close up on cover 480 1034
Amazing Spider-man 66 Second Mysterio cover 390 840
Amazing Spider-man 74 Silvermane Petrified Tablet cover 390 1128
Amazing Spider-man 75 Classic cover; "death" of Silvermane 330 1080
Amazing Spider-man 80 Chameleon cover 330 660
Amazing Spider-man 101 First appearance of Morbius 2100 4500
Avengers 52 Black Panther joins Avengers; first Grim Reaper 300 660
Avengers 53 X-Men crossover 465 853
Avengers 62 First M'Baku (Man-Ape) 240 900
Captain America 110 Classic Steranko Cap vs. Hulk cover 495 1035
Captain America 111 Classic Steranko  cover and "death" of Steve Rogers 300 1210
Captain America 113 Classic Steranko cover and Cap's funeral 300 1210
Captain America 119 Cap vs. Red Skull; Cosmic Cube "destroyed" 120 428
Captain America 126 Return of the Falcon 75 465
Captain Marvel 16 First new Captain Marvel in cameo 60 220
Daredevil  131 First appearance and origin of Bullseye 405 1150
Fantastic Four 19 First Rama-Tut (Kang) 3600 10200
Fantastic Four 36 First appearance of Medusa and Frightful Four 2025 4166
Fantastic Four Annual 3 Wedding of Reed and Sue 810 1600
Ghost Rider (1973) 1 First issue of own title 1500 2750
Incredible Hulk (1968) 102 First issue of own title since early sixties 1350 1995
Jungle Action 6 First appearance of Killmonger 300 1320
Marvel Team-Up 1 Spider-man team-ups begin in dedicated title 850 1250
Nick Fury (1968) 10 Hate Monger; scarce in higher grades 180 367
Silver Surfer 4 Silver Surfer vs. Thor 3825 9900
Sub-Mariner (1968) 19 First Sting Ray 120 575
Sub-Mariner (1968) 34 First Defenders story; Hulk & Silver Surfer crossover 390 1494
Thor 129 First Ares & Tana Nile 330 1020
Thor 148 First appearance of Wrecker & origin of Black Bolt commences 220 660
Thor 160 Galactus vs. Ego battle commences 400 690
Thor 162 Part origin of Galactus 200 626
Thor 189 Thor vs. Hela 90 165
X-Men 9 First X-Men vs. Avengers battle 3900 9088
X-Men 58 First Havok in costume

714

 

1190
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Brian

In addition to the books in my previous post, could you also take a look at a couple of others where there have been recent sales in grades other than CGC 9.4 which suggest Registry points values have fallen behind current market trends:

Fantastic Four Annual #2 - origin of Doctor Doom

Recent GPA sales:

  • 9.6 - $36000 - November 2021
  • 9.0 - $4551 - September 2021
  • 7.5 - $1875 - January 2022

Journey into Mystery #103 - first appearance of Enchantress and Executioner

Recent GPA sales:

  • 9.0 - $3720 - November 2021
  • 8.5 - $2500 - June 2021
  • 7.5 - $1325 - December 2021

Once again, thanks for considering.

Scores adjusted 2/21/22

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, please take a look at the score for Bone #11. The primary problem with this series is that so few come up for auction but this issue has seen at least four sales in the last year for 9.8s: 4/11/21 for $295 shipped, 9/26/21 for $109, 10/10/21 for $156, and 1/16/22 for $288. Current 9.8 score is 44 so I think this needs to go up a bit. Thanks!

Score adjusted 2/21/22

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2022 at 6:05 AM, Rune said:

Astonishing Tales #1 9.8 just sold for nearly $ 5,000 - but it has not been updated for years if ever - it's only 560 points. 

Could you look into Astonishing Tales #1 to #10? 

Best,

Rune

Astonishing Tales #s 1,2,3,4,6,7,8 adjusted

#s 5,9,10 not adjusted as sales data falls in line with current scores.

Thanks, but could you check up on #1 again - I think an error happened?? Thus #1 is the Astonishing Tales book with the biggest price jump, but for 9.8 suddenly points were reduced from 800 to 720 - makes little sense to me :-) The book recently sold for 5k. 

 

Sorry about that, I probably didn't save the last adjustment I made. should be adjusted now.

Thanks for letting me know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2022 at 9:20 AM, Rune said:

Thanks, but could you check up on #1 again - I think an error happened?? Thus #1 is the Astonishing Tales book with the biggest price jump, but for 9.8 suddenly points were reduced from 800 to 720 - makes little sense to me :-) The book recently sold for 5k. 

 

Sorry about that, I probably didn't save the last adjustment I made. should be adjusted now.

Thanks for letting me know.

Thank you - greatly appreciated! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
3 3