• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC grading "invisible" comics?
10 10

264 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 12:25 AM, lou_fine said:
On 1/18/2022 at 10:06 AM, Troy Division said:

A certified grading company got paid to give the grades the customer wanted in exchange for money / clout.

Haven't we had enough talk to last a lifetime about the grading of the Promise Collection pedigree books here already?  :devil:  lol

20220119_010408.jpg.5674006bcc0b96a198c92bca269034db.jpg

:roflmao:

On 1/21/2022 at 11:28 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Every member of the boards waiting for a response from CGC:

Thanos Avengers GIF - Thanos Avengers Dust - Discover & Share GIFs

I’m not…I really don’t care.  I think it’s time I start my own grading company.  It will be called YGWYPF, or maybe ‘Shenanigans R Us’. 🤙👍

On 1/24/2022 at 11:21 AM, NoMan said:

i don't feel like reading this whole thread. What's the question that was ask of CGC that everyone wants an answer to?

Posting @Qalyar Questions from - Page 1, Post 8

"I have two concerns here, neither of which is "Bad Idea is synonymous with stupid gimmicks," because that's self-evident at this point. The census report on this book is extremely, extremely concerning.

1. Why was CGC willing to assign grades here at all? This is, all other nonsense aside,a published cover-only book. Yes, a blank acetate cover, but whatever, that's not the point. CGC has previous advised that the Sensational She-Hulk #14 Brian Bolland variant would only be eligible for slabbing with a CVR no-grade. For those who aren't familiar with this book, they originally printed Sensational She-Hulk #14 with the wrong cover. To "fix" the problem, Marvel printed the Bolland cover without any interior pages (but with interior cover text that is unique to this printing) as a sort of weird giveaway item. They're actually kind of hard to find in good condition, and I'm sure there are collectors of the title or of Bolland's work who would like to have copies graded. So why is a book intentionally produced as a cover-only item, but with legitimate unique cover and interior art work, not considered eligible to be assigned grades; but this book, intentionally produced as a cover-only item but with no art or text or any production elements at all except for staples, qualify for grading beyond the CVR no-grade label??
  2. Perhaps more importantly, how is there the full spectrum of grades on these? I find it, shall we say, extremely unlikely that they submitted copies that just happened to result in 1 book scoring almost every possible non-9.8 grade from 0.5 to 10 (there is no copy in 1.8), with all the rest in 9.8. Which means that there was some arrangement between Bad Idea and CGC to issue labels to these books in those specific grades. There are two options there, and neither is very satisfying:
  • Are the labels legitimate grades that reflect defects or the lack thereof in the slabbed acetate? If so, were there other copies of these acetate books submitted but not slabbed (not like we'd know, really)? In particular, pre-screening isn't even normally available for 9.9 and 10 grades, so how did unique, specific copies in these grades come to pass? As for the lower graded books, were books intentionally manipulated by adding defects to produce the requested grades? If so, did Bad Idea perform this manipulation, or did CGC?
  • The alternative is that these aren't real grades, and CGC acceded to Bad Ideas gimmick and simply created slabs in each grade upon request. This is far more disturbing, but I suspect is what actually occurred. If so, what assurances do we have that publishers cannot do this in future with books that have actual content? Let's say that I self-publish a book tomorrow. Can I pay to ensure that copies exist in every specific grade? How much? What if -- instead of just a cover -- it's an 8-pager that's entirely blank acetate? What if its blank acetate except for a printed title? Is there some threshold of actual content above which CGC actually grades books versus handing out specifically-purchased grade labels? Or was this a service that was only available to Dinesh and Bad Idea?

@CGC Mike I'm sorry to be a curmudgeon here in what was probably thought of as just a silly gimmick. But especially after a year with concerns about QA across the board and concerns about double standards as displayed by the Promise Collection books, this is not just a silly gimmick. Yes, I get it, that this is a dumb piece of acetate and not a "real" comic book, but CGC has given these slabs their imprimatur. As a customer of CGC, and on behalf of other customers of CGC, I'd really appreciate some explanation as to why this was allowed to take place ... and some assurance that it is not simply possible to buy grades from what was and ought to be this neutral authentication and grading company."

you know I'm not sure this is the correct thread, and if it's not, please accept my humble apologies.  I started watching that video about 'HA/video game sales/Wata grading-sales scam and it's kinda eye opening. if the maker of this video is correct in his accusations, this is not good

On 1/24/2022 at 9:28 AM, Troy Division said:

Posting @Qalyar Questions from - Page 1, Post 8

"I have two concerns here, neither of which is "Bad Idea is synonymous with stupid gimmicks," because that's self-evident at this point. The census report on this book is extremely, extremely concerning.

1. Why was CGC willing to assign grades here at all? This is, all other nonsense aside,a published cover-only book. Yes, a blank acetate cover, but whatever, that's not the point. CGC has previous advised that the Sensational She-Hulk #14 Brian Bolland variant would only be eligible for slabbing with a CVR no-grade. For those who aren't familiar with this book, they originally printed Sensational She-Hulk #14 with the wrong cover. To "fix" the problem, Marvel printed the Bolland cover without any interior pages (but with interior cover text that is unique to this printing) as a sort of weird giveaway item. They're actually kind of hard to find in good condition, and I'm sure there are collectors of the title or of Bolland's work who would like to have copies graded. So why is a book intentionally produced as a cover-only item, but with legitimate unique cover and interior art work, not considered eligible to be assigned grades; but this book, intentionally produced as a cover-only item but with no art or text or any production elements at all except for staples, qualify for grading beyond the CVR no-grade label??
  2. Perhaps more importantly, how is there the full spectrum of grades on these? I find it, shall we say, extremely unlikely that they submitted copies that just happened to result in 1 book scoring almost every possible non-9.8 grade from 0.5 to 10 (there is no copy in 1.8), with all the rest in 9.8. Which means that there was some arrangement between Bad Idea and CGC to issue labels to these books in those specific grades. There are two options there, and neither is very satisfying:
  • Are the labels legitimate grades that reflect defects or the lack thereof in the slabbed acetate? If so, were there other copies of these acetate books submitted but not slabbed (not like we'd know, really)? In particular, pre-screening isn't even normally available for 9.9 and 10 grades, so how did unique, specific copies in these grades come to pass? As for the lower graded books, were books intentionally manipulated by adding defects to produce the requested grades? If so, did Bad Idea perform this manipulation, or did CGC?
  • The alternative is that these aren't real grades, and CGC acceded to Bad Ideas gimmick and simply created slabs in each grade upon request. This is far more disturbing, but I suspect is what actually occurred. If so, what assurances do we have that publishers cannot do this in future with books that have actual content? Let's say that I self-publish a book tomorrow. Can I pay to ensure that copies exist in every specific grade? How much? What if -- instead of just a cover -- it's an 8-pager that's entirely blank acetate? What if its blank acetate except for a printed title? Is there some threshold of actual content above which CGC actually grades books versus handing out specifically-purchased grade labels? Or was this a service that was only available to Dinesh and Bad Idea?

@CGC Mike I'm sorry to be a curmudgeon here in what was probably thought of as just a silly gimmick. But especially after a year with concerns about QA across the board and concerns about double standards as displayed by the Promise Collection books, this is not just a silly gimmick. Yes, I get it, that this is a dumb piece of acetate and not a "real" comic book, but CGC has given these slabs their imprimatur. As a customer of CGC, and on behalf of other customers of CGC, I'd really appreciate some explanation as to why this was allowed to take place ... and some assurance that it is not simply possible to buy grades from what was and ought to be this neutral authentication and grading company."

thanks

On 1/24/2022 at 2:22 PM, Iceman399 said:

Why is CGC pulling these "fun & games" when there are serious TAT & QC issues?

Same reason you care about grading funny books when the world is on the literal brink of world war 3, inflation is running rampant, income disparity is growing exponentially, and we continue to be amidst a global pandemic after 2 years--life goes on (until it doesn't).  People are still out there making comedies, my kid still cries for treats, and collectors still bicker about whether they deserved a 9.x.  CGC's "fun and games" or "prank" or "stunt" or whatever you want to call it here doesn't mean they aren't working on QC issues or don't take the rest of the business seriously.  Much ado about nothing, imo.  

On 1/24/2022 at 2:20 PM, Poekaymon said:

CGC's "fun and games" or "prank" or "stunt" or whatever you want to call it here doesn't mean they aren't working on QC issues or don't take the rest of the business seriously.

Only they aren't taking their company seriously because if suspicions are confirmed, a company has the ability to contact CGC and literally purchase grades. It's not "fun and games, or a prank, or a stunt. It was a bad business decision they refuse to explain themselves for. They advertise themselves as impartial. They should stick to that.