• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC grading "invisible" comics?
10 10

264 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2022 at 8:34 PM, Troy Division said:

To each their own.
Personally, I find it upsetting that CGC® (Certified Guaranty Company®) took money from a customer and gave them the EXACT grades they wanted.

I'll ask this -
Is this the first time they've done this OR the first time they have been caught doing it?

It is... a goof.  Transparent acetate...  Invisible book.  It's not as if it were a stack of AF 15s.  You guys are too much.  Oh well, buy the book--not the grade, as they say. :)   

On 1/24/2022 at 6:57 PM, Beyonder123 said:

Only they aren't taking their company seriously because if suspicions are confirmed, a company has the ability to contact CGC and literally purchase grades. It's not "fun and games, or a prank, or a stunt. It was a bad business decision they refuse to explain themselves for. They advertise themselves as impartial. They should stick to that.

If you say so. It's obviously a joke to me and many others. Ten pages of this outrage. :eyeroll:

Edited by Lord Gemini

On 1/25/2022 at 3:40 PM, Lord Gemini said:

If you say so. It's obviously a joke to me and many others. Ten pages of this outrage. :eyeroll:

Problem is, a joke from a serious company can weaken their foundations in the eyes of their customers, and that's how many of us see it. 

As the industry leader, we thought they were above such shenanigans. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

• Administrator

Hey all:

Bad Idea approached us at the beginning of 2020 with the idea to create and encapsulate an invisible comic as a way to showcase and promote their new book and writers. Given recent feedback, we have asked Bad Idea to cease selling them, and only use them for promotional purposes.

Mike

On 1/25/2022 at 1:06 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hey all:

Bad Idea approached us at the beginning of 2020 with the idea to create and encapsulate an invisible comic as a way to showcase and promote their new book and writers. Given recent feedback, we have asked Bad Idea to cease selling them, and only use them for promotional purposes.

Mike

Thank you for the update.
Will wait until we know if Bad Idea does cease selling them.

Will CGC be making a statement regarding how the graded books span all grades (except 1.8) without grader notes to explain how they span all grades?
Has something like this with CGC, a person / company paying them for specific grades, occurred before?

Edited by Troy Division

Even with this just being a promotional plug, albeit an incredibly stupid one, why would CGC still assign actual grades to these blank acetate sheets?  Heck why not go even further -- put out two or three "restored" copies, and five green labels, heck even a few sig series copies (signed with "invisible" ink!).  :facepalm:

On 1/26/2022 at 4:06 AM, CGC Mike said:

Hey all:

Mike

Thanks for finally giving us a response, Mike. You've done the right thing at last by asking them not to sell them. I fear that might be too late though, as aren't copies already out there now? But next time, pay attention to the name. It was right there! 'Bad Idea'! 

I'm genuinely surprised CGC did not think this through when agreeing to it.
You should always start from the end goal and work backwards.

Who signed off on this anyway?

Sure Bad Idea approached with an idea.
I will venture to say that part of the proposal was "We are coming to you guys first. If you say no, we'll go the other guys."

CGC didn't want to lose an 'exclusive', saw $$$$, and didn't hesitate the ask questions.

This definitely highlights the need for a PR / social media team for the company + brand.
The optics on this are really bad here.
And if any of their competitors were worth their weight this would be an easy opportunity to diminish CGC's reputation.

Edited by Troy Division

On 1/25/2022 at 6:11 PM, Troy Division said:

I'm genuinely surprised CGC did not think this through when agreeing to it.
You should always start from the end goal and work backwards.

Who signed off on this anyway?

Sure Bad Idea approached with an idea.
I will venture to say that part of the proposal was "We are coming to you guys first. If you say no, we'll go the other guys."

CGC didn't want to lose an 'exclusive', saw $$$$, and didn't hesitate the ask questions.

This definitely highlights the need for a PR / social media team for the company + brand.
The optics on this are really bad here.
And if any of their competitors were worth their weight this would be an easy opportunity to diminish CGC's reputation.

Furthermore, what is the upside for CGC with this stunt?  The brand is already a household name with comic collectors, it's not like they needed the advertising.  And submissions are through the roof, it's not like a few grading fees were going to push the balance sheet from red to black.

So Bad Idea makes a bunch of money off this stupid gimmick, and CGC gets derided for taking part.  

Again, where's the upside?

On 1/25/2022 at 7:56 PM, Gaard said:

This whole thing really doesn't bother me. But a possible answer to @mattn792's question, "Where's the upside?" It might not be so much a matter of CGC garnering any upside, but rather keeping the competition from getting any.

Not sure what possible upside the competition could have gained from launching these invisible gems:insane:

On 1/25/2022 at 6:56 PM, Gaard said:

This whole thing really doesn't bother me. But a possible answer to @mattn792's question, "Where's the upside?" It might not be so much a matter of CGC garnering any upside, but rather keeping the competition from getting any.

I agree with @THE_BEYONDER, the competition would've faced just as much scorn, if not more, as CGC is facing now over this gimmick.