• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2021 at 3:14 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Unpopular opinion: Paul Thomas Anderson's movies are pretentious and boring. Mostly pretentious.

You’re right. 25 Academy Award noms. It’s probably political. And the audience score for that trailer I posted is 100% on RT but I’m sure it will drop to Captain Marvel levels as more reviews come in. 

On 11/30/2021 at 1:49 AM, ▫️ said:

You’re right. 25 Academy Award noms. It’s probably political. And the audience score for that trailer I posted is 100% on RT but I’m sure it will drop to Captain Marvel levels as more reviews come in. 

PTA is very good at being pretentious so much that critics and college kids eat his sh*t up. It doesn't get past my sh*t meter though. I figured his cinema out with Boogie Nights, and Magnolia was cinematically just diminishing returns, in my opinion. I don't think the guy has one honest thing to say as a filmmaker but just wants to be the love child of 70's cinema and Martin Scorsese. I'll admit he and his cinematographer have done a fine job of copying Scorsese's camera moves. He must have had his director of photography up all night showing him Goodfellas over and over and over again. "Never mind if I have anything real to say, but it must LOOK like I have something real to say!" My assumption that he was a pretentious art house filmmaker was verified when he said in an interview once that there was this Iranian movie that was about nothing more than a child looking for a lost kitten, and that's what he wants to make. The guy is a total wannabe with nothing important to say in my opinion. Sure you can like his movies all day but I think it's amusing that academics and critics think he's the second coming of Robert Altman or something. 

On 11/30/2021 at 7:34 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

PTA is very good at being pretentious so much that critics and college kids eat his sh*t up. It doesn't get past my sh*t meter though. I figured his cinema out with Boogie Nights, and Magnolia was cinematically just diminishing returns, in my opinion. I don't think the guy has one honest thing to say as a filmmaker but just wants to be the love child of 70's cinema and Martin Scorsese. I'll admit he and his cinematographer have done a fine job of copying Scorsese's camera moves. He must have had his director of photography up all night showing him Goodfellas over and over and over again. "Never mind if I have anything real to say, but it must LOOK like I have something real to say!" My assumption that he was a pretentious art house filmmaker was verified when he said in an interview once that there was this Iranian movie that was about nothing more than a child looking for a lost kitten, and that's what he wants to make. The guy is a total wannabe with nothing important to say in my opinion. Sure you can like his movies all day but I think it's amusing that academics and critics think he's the second coming of Robert Altman or something. 

You have an interesting skewed perception on his movies and while I have not seen them all, I disagree with your Scorsese take. If you are referring to extended single take shots, this is nothing new and not something pioneered by Scorsese. You’ll have to go a little further back in the archives. But you would know that being the cinephile that you are. I’m sure you have some range outside of comic book movies? As far as critics loving him, who cares? You seem to hate him despite the research you have done on him. Just give his new movie a hard pass. You don’t need to subject yourself to that. I mean, there’s probably not gonna be one cape in it.

It's about time to put Captain Marvel's sequel in a properly titled thread. 

A recently leaked crew photo from The Marvels set reveals the movie's main players in headshots on the wall, Sam L Jackson not included.

From left to right, they are:

• Brie Larson as Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel)
  • Teyonnah Parris as Monica Rambeau (Spectrum)
  • Iman Villani as Kamala Khan (Ms Marvel)
  • Zenobia Shroff as Muneeba Khan (Kamala's mom)
  • Zawe Ashton as unknown villain
  • Park Seo-Joon as unknown character (speculated to be Amadeus Cho)
  • Lashana Lynch as Maria Rambeau
  • Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie
  • not sure who is last actor on right

369875473_marvelscrewimage.jpg.1364e3e55259aaddf1d9f1094da63465.jpg

66655626_themarvelscastimage.jpg.2e82d2570268a145dfbe63f26545f15d.jpg

@CGC Mike since this thread is more about rebelling against the thread that already exists would it be possible to merge this with the Captain Marvel 2 thread and just change that thread's title to 'THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)'?

Not sure why yet again the same individual likes to attempt disruption in this area.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:49 AM, Bosco685 said:

@CGC Mike since this thread is more about rebelling against the thread that already exists would it be possible to merge this with the Captain Marvel 2 thread and just change that thread's title to 'THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)'?

Not sure why yet again the same individual likes to attempt disruption in this area.

I didn’t think it was that big a deal or that anybody would care but sure. The movies title is The Marvels not Captain Marvel 2.