• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2023 at 11:05 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

KC Walsh merely confirmed that his Quantumania plot scoop was accurate (because he’s a reliable scooper), and only said the movie SOUNDS fun. Sounds like Regular Cinema Guy doesn’t get syntax.

But ya know Quantumania was fun. Just because a bunch of critics didn’t like it and didn’t bring in the usual big movie crowd doesn’t mean a movie wasn’t fun. The movie still had generally positive audience reactions. Heck, do a head count over in the Quantumania thread and I bet the amount of posters who enjoyed the movie will be a strong majority. According to KC Walsh, the movie sounded fun, and it was fun. 

B CinemaScore is an indication the audiences did not care for it either.

You bring up Cocaine Bear and Meagan, if you look at the history of the metric Horror movies historically score low in this metric, so you are comparing apples to Organes.  A better comparison it Eternals etc, where a B is a bad score.

Also, using CGC as a judge of general audience is very inaccurate.   The poster here are much more inclined to like and be educated when it comes to anything comic related.  So what we think does not translate to the rest of the world.

Edited by drotto

On 3/14/2023 at 12:47 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

According to Cinemascore, Quantumania did better than Cocaine Bear (B-) and the same as M3GAN (B), both generally considered fun movies and minor hits. QM's Cinemascore was almost as good as Black Adam's B+, which I believe a lot of forum members here said was also fun.

I just did an unofficial head count of CGC forum reaction posts over in the Quantumania thread. These included people the poster said saw the movie with them and their reactions, and my math might be off by 1 or 2. 11 people did not like it. 4 people were "meh" about it. 29 people liked it or at least had a good time with it. That's a majority of people here (with family and friends) who viewed the movie as fun.

That's pretty much been what I've seen on social media, Facebook groups, etc. The RT audience score is at 83%. The IMDB user rating is at 6.5/10. More of the audience who saw the movie liked it rather than disliked it.

Then why is it going to lose money for Disney?  I'd hazard a guess (I don't know the production budgets) but I bet you Cocaine Bear and Megan turn a profit, where as Ant 3 will not.  In comic book circles it may be considered fun, but it is obvious by the huge fall out on week to week box office the general population is not behind this movie, at all.

On 3/14/2023 at 3:13 PM, media_junkie said:

Then why is it going to lose money for Disney?  I'd hazard a guess (I don't know the production budgets) but I bet you Cocaine Bear and Megan turn a profit, where as Ant 3 will not.  In comic book circles it may be considered fun, but it is obvious by the huge fall out on week to week box office the general population is not behind this movie, at all.

Surprise, Cocain Brar and Megan had budgets under $20 million, QM was $200 million.  Plus, QM had a much larger media budget.  I know you get it, but it is what I have been harping on.  The bar for failure,  is very different for and MCU film then pretty much anything else. So ig CB has a $100 million box office, that is great, for QM that would be an unmitigated disaster.  As it stand at $450 million this film will lose money.

Edited by drotto

On 3/14/2023 at 3:25 PM, Bosco685 said:

When you have to compare a $200M production to $30M-35M and $12M films to proclaim "met or exceeded' not only have you hit the bottom of the barrel of excuses. Now you are drilling through the concrete floor, hitting bedrock, and yet still continuing on to find a piece of shiny coal in place of a diamond.

diamond_pile.gif.b8b3db0ff09cb1d344fab4b69119be8f.gif

In addition, MCU marketing budgets have exploded and are generally in the $100 ro $150 million range.  Also, if you believe some reports, the reshoots are not always being reflected in the reported budgets.

On 4/11/2023 at 11:10 PM, media_junkie said:

Oh joy, more bad humor.  $650 million tops.

I think you're being VERY optimistic. 

Dark Captain Marvel. A legion of Flerkens :smile:. The song and dance planet Aladna. Looks like the movie is fully embracing the Kelly Sue Deconnick stories. Looks awesome so far. Bring it.

Prediction: The MCU revives its reputation with a string of hits in GOTGV3, Secret Invasion, Loki 2, and The Marvels.