• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2023 at 8:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

In BvS, when Bruce Wayne tells Clark Kent, "don't believe everything you hear, son", it was a nod to the fact that Batman knows Superman needs a new, living father figure. :D

Is that what that meant?  I thought that was a criticism of the way society "differently-abled-shames" the hearing impaired.

On 4/12/2023 at 11:28 AM, Dr. Balls said:

At first, I was a bit bummed out at having three Captain/Ms Marvels - I really want another Captain Marvel movie with just her. I have always loved the character and Brie Larsen was a great fit, and thought the first movie was a great representation for the modern Carol Danvers character. I watched the trailer and thought "man, this looks super fun". I am really excited for this flick, and is it me, or did Brie Larsen get hotter between movies?

It’s not just you. She looks a little hotter. 

On 4/12/2023 at 9:33 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

C5CE8191-075C-4459-AEFF-9EEA17E3622C.thumb.jpeg.16cfc6716d9abb9bf8ec211e26da4298.jpeg5781F8E9-AF0B-46CE-A96C-87EDD1E31260.thumb.jpeg.c50f8f2f966f2e677454c65fa77a63c7.jpeg413F4F35-0FC9-40D1-B173-125C440A4AA3.thumb.jpeg.9d91b5a917c3121d95ff93fda08c4421.jpeg

That's too bad - I thought her performance was nailed in the first one, and she seems to be bringing that stoicism to this one, which I am 100% into. Carol Danvers in the newer Marvel comic stuff she has a dry demeanor, which I'm sure Kelly Sue DeConnick wrote it for a specific reason (I'm not going to guess why). To me, the movie captured that, and personally, I think that blurb is a testament to how certain MCU-exclusive nerds missed the nuances of her character.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 4/12/2023 at 11:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

In BvS, when Bruce Wayne tells Clark Kent, "don't believe everything you hear, son", it was a nod to the fact that Batman knows Superman needs a new, living father figure. :D

And that’s why you shouldn’t trust Zack Snyder with cinematic metaphors. (see: the two Marthas)

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 4/12/2023 at 11:38 AM, Dr. Balls said:

That's too bad - I thought her performance was nailed. Carol Danvers in the newer Marvel comic stuff she has a dry demeanor, which I'm sure Kelly Sue DeConnick wrote it for a specific reason (I'm not going to guess why). To me, the movie captured that, and personally, I think that blurb is a testament to how certain MCU-exclusive nerds missed the nuances of her character.

This is just about the trailer. Carol smiled, laughed, got angry, and cried throughout the actual Captain Marvel movie. Attackers just stuck with the Brie doesn’t smile or show emotion thing.

On 4/12/2023 at 9:42 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

This is just about the trailer. Carol smiled, laughed, got angry, and cried throughout the actual Captain Marvel movie. Attackers just stuck with the Brie doesn’t smile or show emotion thing.

Ahh gotcha - well, that is always the unfortunate part. I think it's super cool that she portrays the confident badass in the movies that has come across in 20 years worth of comics. Warriors who show no emotion, or cover it up with dry humor are not exclusive to just men, it's great to see that being explored with Captain Marvel. Not to mention showing a little more skin. :headbang:

On 4/12/2023 at 11:47 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Ahh gotcha - well, that is always the unfortunate part. I think it's super cool that she portrays the confident badass in the movies that has come across in 20 years worth of comics. Warriors who show no emotion, or cover it up with dry humor are not exclusive to just men, it's great to see that being explored with Captain Marvel. Not to mention showing a little more skin. :headbang:

Explored with just Captian Marvel?  That is about 80% of the female characters being written right now. I would like to see a little variety, what we getting currently is mild variations of the same character. 

On 4/12/2023 at 9:50 AM, drotto said:

Explored with just Captian Marvel?  That is about 80% of the female characters being written right now. I would like to see a little variety, what we getting currently is mild variations of the same character. 

Ahh I suppose you're right - I would probably say Valkyrie and Gamora fall into that as well, although I'm not familiar with their modern characterization in comics. To me, WW started out that way, but quickly fell by the wayside with her lovelorn focus on her boyfriend - so I don't necessarily feel she's in the same category.

I think when the X-universe gets going, they will have a lot to work with in terms of individual female characterization, which is also a shame they've done such a garbage job with people like Storm, Rogue, Kitty and Jean Grey up to this point - who all have interesting individual personalities. Yukio in the standalone Wolverine movie was 'ok' at best, as they left a lot of her uniqueness off the table. X-23 had a good foundation, but that's all but been abandoned - however, her attitude in comics falls in line with that stoic personality that is encompassing all the current female characters.

On 4/12/2023 at 11:40 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

And that’s why you shouldn’t trust Zack Snyder with cinematic metaphors. It’s an intelligence thing. (see: the two Marthas)

So you are implying Zack Snyder is not intelligent and therefore why you don't appreciate BVS? Gotcha.