• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2023 at 8:18 PM, jimjum12 said:

The untapped audience  They can't afford to go to the Park, how the eff do they afford a $20 movie each month?

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Stay home and stream a very well written /directed BJ Novak Apple tv series 'Lessons in Chemistry' starring Brie Larson instead. Still has 1950s female empowerment but good directing, family script, and acting by Brie.

On 11/5/2023 at 6:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

Reaction myopia would convince someone of that mindset. Meanwhile:

• Twilight franchise (Bella Swan) $3.4 billion
  • Hunger Games franchise (Katniss Everdeen) $2.97 billion
  • Aliens franchise (Ellen Ripley) $1.4 billion
  • Resident Evil franchise (Alice) $1.2 billion
  • Scream franchise (Sidney Prescott) $900 million
  • Halloween franchise (Laurie Strode) $885 million
  • Underworld franchise (Selene) $540 million
  • Dragon Tattoo franchise (Lisbeth Slander) $267 million

If a film series comes together in a way target audiences relate to, they show up.

& they bring in all the other audiences when good.

The pre-Endgame MCU brought in women of all ages; Barbie men of all ages. Snow White was targeted at young gals, not the AFI, Library of Congress, Smithsonian, & whatnot. Good films like The Wizard of Oz transcend a studio's demographic targets.    

Why would a gal go to a current MCU film like MARVELS when her demographic is being 'blamed' for the current MCU mess? That seems like a bad way to spend an evening.    

On 11/5/2023 at 6:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

Reaction myopia would convince someone of that mindset. Meanwhile:

• Twilight franchise (Bella Swan) $3.4 billion
  • Hunger Games franchise (Katniss Everdeen) $2.97 billion
  • Aliens franchise (Ellen Ripley) $1.4 billion
  • Resident Evil franchise (Alice) $1.2 billion
  • Scream franchise (Sidney Prescott) $900 million
  • Halloween franchise (Laurie Strode) $885 million
  • Underworld franchise (Selene) $540 million
  • Dragon Tattoo franchise (Lisbeth Slander) $267 million

If a film series comes together in a way target audiences relate to, they show up.

Maybe it is dangerous to point this out, but it is 100% OK for movies to cater to specific audiences based on gender, race, orientation, ideology, etc. It does not make that movie bad, or the people that like that movie a lessor person.  We just have different tastes and therefor wants. There is no issue in making movies for specific groups, it is not exclusionary, and it does not make a person bad for liking those films. Now thse are broad generalized tendencies and tastes can vary widely within those groups. As long as all people are invited in and welcomed there is no issue.

Recent movies really drive home the point. Barbie was wildly popular with women, and the audience was 75% woman.  That's fantastic. It hit an audience that recently has been undeserved, it was a good film, and it made big bucks. It was based on a very female centric IP, and nobody asked the creators to change it.

Comics are inherently male based, which IA shown with the comics where sales are around 85% men, and the movies which are generally 60% to 65% men. Even when they make a female centric comic movie they still skew 55% me with Wonder Woman being the only exception at 52% women. So of you take a male grounded genre and paint a female centric facade over the top it is logical you risk losing some of that male base, and struggle to gain women because the underpinnings arw Stull male based.

So based on the above examples, if Barbie's creators were set on centering the movie only on Ken in the sequel, how would the female fans react? To some extent this is what the MCU has been doing.  Also as Bosco very succinctly sets out, when you make female centric films with good characters, and story in genres men enjoy, they still show up in droves. 

On 11/4/2023 at 6:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

image.png.03a4f8a758d300a6d71f926cdd93d29a.png

Just shocking.  A character no one really cared about except when they teased her at the end of Infinity war and kept talking about how she'd have a big part in Endgame....which leads to her first movie (which was horrible) being successful because insufficiently_thoughtful_persons like me believed them when they said she'd have a big part in Endgame. Too bad they can't use that same trick for this one (they can but no one really cares about the Avengers movie coming out).  What makes it even better is they're putting in Khamala Khan who had by far the lowest numbers of any + show in this like she will bring people out to see this.  Sorry I'm still ticked off I used my hard earned money to watch Captain Marvel.....it was so bad.

On 11/6/2023 at 10:37 PM, thegiftedone45 said:

Just shocking.  A character no one really cared about except when they teased her at the end of Infinity war and kept talking about how she'd have a big part in Endgame....which leads to her first movie (which was horrible) being successful because insufficiently_thoughtful_persons like me believed them when they said she'd have a big part in Endgame. Too bad they can't use that same trick for this one (they can but no one really cares about the Avengers movie coming out).  What makes it even better is they're putting in Khamala Khan who had by far the lowest numbers of any + show in this like she will bring people out to see this.  Sorry I'm still ticked off I used my hard earned money to watch Captain Marvel.....it was so bad.

I am going to defend CM by saying compared to some of the other crappy MCU movies, its pretty good.  It was better than Black Widow, Shang Chi, Quantumania and far better than the Eternals, Wakanda forever and Love and Blunder.

On 11/7/2023 at 5:08 AM, s-man said:

I am going to defend CM by saying compared to some of the other crappy MCU movies, its pretty good.  It was better than Black Widow, Shang Chi, Quantumania and far better than the Eternals, Wakanda forever and Love and Blunder.

This is true. It wasn't bad like BW, just sorta generic & they screwed-up Mar-Vell. I liked it just fine but I'm a zombie and think BL is a hot little number. 

Any early reviews or preview audiences impressions floating around out there?  This thing is opening pretty soon. Usually we would have some buzz by now.