• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 10/26/2023 at 11:32 AM, drotto said:

Opening projections are not great.  Predicting $50 to $75 million opening weekend domestic, with final box office in the $175 to $200M range domestic. 

I can see that. Practically no one is talking about the movie - or any Marvel properties at all. Two years ago, we had to shush everyone at work if they watched a film or show before everyone else did, and once every caught up it was constant discussion for a day or two.

Now? Tumbleweeds. No one is watching Loki (except me), and no one cares about Echo, and even Ashoka doesn’t get any love. Every single person I work with who was kinda interested in Ant Man waited for it to stream. It’s disappointingly different now.

With that being said - I may be in the minority, but I dig Bree Larsen’s Carol Danvers and am excited to see it. Not excited enough to see it in theaters (no more theaters for me) - but I’ll watch it as soon as I can rent it.

On 10/26/2023 at 3:01 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I can see that. Practically no one is talking about the movie - or any Marvel properties at all. Two years ago, we had to shush everyone at work if they watched a film or show before everyone else did, and once every caught up it was constant discussion for a day or two.

Now? Tumbleweeds. No one is watching Loki (except me), and no one cares about Echo, and even Ashoka doesn’t get any love. Every single person I work with who was kinda interested in Ant Man waited for it to stream. It’s disappointingly different now.

With that being said - I may be in the minority, but I dig Bree Larsen’s Carol Danvers and am excited to see it. Not excited enough to see it in theaters (no more theaters for me) - but I’ll watch it as soon as I can rent it.

I have a weird reaction to Loki at this point.  I like the show, but it does not feel like a Loki show at all.  I almost think it would be better if it was built around a different character or even separate from the MCU. This Loki feels like a completely different character from the movie Loki.

Yeah, interest is Disney + shows has tanked. Makes it very hard to build a movie where two of the main characters got a start there.

Edited by drotto

On 10/26/2023 at 1:01 PM, Dr. Balls said:

amazing what happens when the quality of the content is reduced.

I can't believe they are going ahead with The Marvels to be honest. DC had the, excuse the word "he whose name is that", balls to axe their Bat-chick film, Disney should do the same with this.

On 10/26/2023 at 10:32 AM, drotto said:

Opening projections are not great.  Predicting $50 to $75 million opening weekend domestic, with final box office in the $175 to $200M range domestic. 

could the sequel threaten the $725M WW BO decline of Alice in Wonderland to Alice Through the Looking Glass?

On 10/26/2023 at 1:31 PM, drotto said:

I have a weird reaction to Loki at this point.  I like the show, but it does not feel like a Loki show at all.  I almost think it would be better if it was built around a different character or even separate from the MCU. This Loki feels like a completely different character from the movie Loki.

Oh yeah, you're definitely right about that. I like the new Loki - or rather - the fleshed-out Loki, and I like Tom Hiddleston's portrayal. The part I am struggling with Loki is: A) is his motivation to save everything due to the love he has for Sylvie, and if so - I'm not sure I feel the chemistry there or B) is his motivation out of self-preservation, and if so - I don't see him undertaking a lot of his self-serving antics in the show (at least, the later episodes of season 1 and I'm not too far into season 2 yet).

For me, I generally overlook a lot of stuff when it comes to time-traveling stories. I just love the story concept (in general, not just Loki) so much, I can look past some of the other shortcomings - but I can see that they are there.

On 10/27/2023 at 12:12 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Oh yeah, you're definitely right about that. I like the new Loki - or rather - the fleshed-out Loki, and I like Tom Hiddleston's portrayal. The part I am struggling with Loki is: A) is his motivation to save everything due to the love he has for Sylvie, and if so - I'm not sure I feel the chemistry there or B) is his motivation out of self-preservation, and if so - I don't see him undertaking a lot of his self-serving antics in the show (at least, the later episodes of season 1 and I'm not too far into season 2 yet).

For me, I generally overlook a lot of stuff when it comes to time-traveling stories. I just love the story concept (in general, not just Loki) so much, I can look past some of the other shortcomings - but I can see that they are there.

My main problem is Loki is the God of Mischief, and there is not a whole bunch of that in this show. To me this show needs a big dose of British style humor, not current MCU humor. My wife said this shows feels more like Doctor Who, than Loki. Also, I am not sure the anti-hero thing is working given this characters history.  They have also scaled WAY back on his power levels, this guy is a God that almost destroyed NYC, none of the fight sequences shown so far should even cause him to sweat, literally he could snap his fingers and be done with it. That is why I liked old comic Loki from season 1 so much, he felt like the 60's character, and he showed his power. 

But I digress, this thread is about the Marvels, but Loki is far more interesting.

On 10/27/2023 at 1:42 PM, mosconi said:

A recent Captain Marvel evolution trailer.  I'm getting more and more interested in the movie and what future MCU storyline develops from it in their next phase...

I definitely felt something. Be right back. Need to get the pepto bismol.

:baiting:

Seems like a desperate last minute attempt to make it seem as if this movie is a Captain Marvel movie.  Action oriented. Not Captain Marvel adjacent, with humerous song and dance numbers.

Testing is probably showing it's not connecting with any demographic, particularly the young women they were counting on. "Oh well we still have those guys. We can always get them into the theater!"

Edited by Dr. Love

On 10/28/2023 at 9:23 AM, Dr. Love said:

Testing is probably showing it's not connecting with any demographic, particularly the young women they were counting on. "Oh well we still have those guys. We can always get them into the theater!"

Bree Larsen in a tight white shirt is testing positively in older male demographics, though.

On 10/28/2023 at 3:30 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Bree Larsen in a tight white shirt is testing positively in older male demographics, though.

Going to take a heck of a lot more than that for this older dude to go to this movie.  I didn't care for the first Captain Marvel (so no draw to see Bree again).  I personally think WandaVision ended on an extremely lame note (and honestly I thought Monica's role was forgettable, so no draw there).  And Ms. Marvel was so far and away not for me I didn't watch it (and based on some of the articles, not many people watched it at all), so again no draw.  .  Who is the big baddie?  If it is the female "Ronan the Accuser", ugh we already saw that villain once (as a dude).  Is it Kang?  Dude was beaten by a bunch of ants, who cares if there are more of him, just throw an ant farm at him, wham, you win. 

The director said this movie would be "Really whacky and silly compared to other Marvel movies", well that didn't work in Love and Blunder and it isn't what I personally am looking for.  Marvel is (and has been) floundering and they haven't given this ticket buyer a reason to purchase a ticket for this movie.

On 10/28/2023 at 4:25 PM, media_junkie said:

I personally think WandaVision ended on an extremely lame note (and honestly I thought Monica's role was forgettable, so no draw there).  And Ms. Marvel was so far and away not for me I didn't watch it (and based on some of the articles, not many people watched it at all), so again no draw.  .  Who is the big baddie?  If it is the female "Ronan the Accuser", ugh we already saw that villain once (as a dude).  Is it Kang?  Dude was beaten by a bunch of ants, who cares if there are more of him, just throw an ant farm at him, wham, you win. 

The director said this movie would be "Really whacky and silly compared to other Marvel movies", well that didn't work in Love and Blunder and it isn't what I personally am looking for.  Marvel is (and has been) floundering and they haven't given this ticket buyer a reason to purchase a ticket for this movie.

I agree with every single point, especially the bad-guy-of-the-week in this show. I am definitely in the minority, as I really like Bree Larsen's portrayal of Carol Danvers. The Kelly Sue DeConnick run was really great, and I liked her characterization - and I think that might have been what Larsen was going for. If so, I thought it was great. The dry personality may rub people the wrong way, or make it feel as if her performance is wooden - but in terms of how she came across in the comics, I think she (either purposely or accidentally) nails it. 

I am not a fan of the other Marvels people - I just don't feel it, and I really wish Captain Marvel wouldn't have to split screen time with benchwarmers.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:13 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I am not a fan of the other Marvels people - I just don't feel it, and I really wish Captain Marvel wouldn't have to split screen time with benchwarmers.

I wonder if what Marvel Studios is assuming is each of the Lady Marvel MCU characters has a dedicated fanbase. So by bringing the three together, maybe they all show up to support the movie.

On 10/29/2023 at 4:46 AM, Bosco685 said:

I wonder if what Marvel Studios is assuming is each of the Lady Marvel MCU characters has a dedicated fanbase. So by bringing the three together, maybe they all show up to support the movie.

I mean Marvel Studios/Disney has to be looking at the early projections and realize they have a huge Turkey on their hands, right?  Obviously they can't say they have a huge turkey on their hands, but I mean they don't have blinders on internally and think this is going to clear a billion like the first one, right?

On 10/29/2023 at 5:03 AM, media_junkie said:

I mean Marvel Studios/Disney has to be looking at the early projections and realize they have a huge Turkey on their hands, right?  Obviously they can't say they have a huge turkey on their hands, but I mean they don't have blinders on internally and think this is going to clear a billion like the first one, right?

the 'market' is trending in the wrong direction

image.png.7e5cb8e1ce01562d483d5221c3a8fe4c.png

On 10/29/2023 at 1:46 AM, Bosco685 said:

oh, is there a captain marvel movie coming out? xD

On 10/28/2023 at 6:25 PM, media_junkie said:

Who is the big baddie?  If it is the female "Ronan the Accuser", ugh we already saw that villain once (as a dude).  Is it Kang?  Dude was beaten by a bunch of ants, who cares if there are more of him, just throw an ant farm at him, wham, you win. 

This.

I was (and am) a *huge* fan of the first Captain Marvel movie - primarily because of the script, but also due to the performances of Brie Larsen, Jude Law and Annette Bening.

And I likely won't see this one in the theater...because having watched a few of the trailers, I have no idea what it's about.

Who is the villain?

If I can watch two separate trailers for a film and not have a clear understanding of the villain or threat, you've lost.

I mean - I can *guess* it's some combination of Kree or rogue Skrulls, but the first movie made it's purpose 100% clear, even with the ultimate villain misdirect.

See also:

• Shang-Chi
  • Thor Love and Thunder 

Neither of these presented the villain clearly in the trailers either - and I skipped them. Sure, I vaguely knew that the Thor villiain was Bale's character, but the trailer placed more of an emphasis on comedy than his threat (or purpose).

At least with Doctor Strange 2 we knew exactly who the villain was - an unhinged Wanda, fresh off of WandaVision and ready to destroy nearly everything in her quest to save her kids.

On 10/30/2023 at 9:54 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Who is the villain?

If I can watch two separate trailers for a film and not have a clear understanding of the villain or threat, you've lost.

Seemed clear it's the Kree lady accuser in the trailer.  She sounded pretty salty when it started.

What is up with these Kree accusers, anyway?  On Earth we call them prosecutors, and I don't think they go around whacking and zapping people with giant hammers.  :eek:

Edited by fantastic_four

On 10/29/2023 at 4:46 AM, Bosco685 said:

I know each has dedicated fans, but I doubt they are three distinct groups.  Suspect there is heavy overlap, so no real help brining them together. 

Also, most of these fans are newer MCU fans that do not have the same track record for repeat viewing, buying merchandise, and is a small fraction of the size of the traditional Marvel fan.