• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

Review embargo doesn't lift until two days before the film starts.

They don't always wait this late to lift review embargos.  For Disney that has always been for logistical reasons and not the frequent ploy by studios to delay reviews when they know critics will pan a film, but every time they wait late I wonder if this time will be the first time they do it to minimize bad reviews.  hm

Sadly I feel like there are already people lined up around the block to pan this before seeing it.  

Not saying it will, in fact, be good.  I have my doubts, but the haters are positively salivating.  

On 10/28/2023 at 6:25 PM, media_junkie said:

The director said this movie would be "Really whacky and silly compared to other Marvel movies", well that didn't work in Love and Blunder and it isn't what I personally am looking for.  Marvel is (and has been) floundering and they haven't given this ticket buyer a reason to purchase a ticket for this movie.

More.whacky and silly than the other movies? Are they planning on having clowns riding unicycles squirting the cast with water?.

On 10/31/2023 at 3:15 PM, Larryw7 said:

More.whacky and silly than the other movies? Are they planning on having clowns riding unicycles squirting the cast with water?.

i have heard a rumor that there is a matriarchal society that only communicates via song, they do not understand you unless you are singing and it leads to a large ensemble song and dance event. Is that wacky enough for you?

Edited by Artboy99

On 10/31/2023 at 7:36 PM, Artboy99 said:

i have heard a rumor that there is a matriarchal society that only communicates via song, they do not understand you unless you are singing and it leads to a large ensemble song and dance event. Is that wacky enough for you?

Not sure it is true or accurate, but this YouTuber is claiming somebody at a screening leaked him the entire plot. Heavy spoilers if true, be warned do not click......

Edited by drotto

On 11/1/2023 at 11:15 AM, drotto said:

Not sure it is true or accurate, but this YouTuber is claiming somebody at a screening leaked him the entire plot. Heavy spoilers if true, be warned do not click......

They all die in a house fire? I was NOT expecting that. 

On 11/1/2023 at 10:39 AM, 1Cool said:

I doubt I'll even see this via a free streaming service.  Absolutely nothing looks appealing to me but I guess that makes sense since I'm obviously not the target demo.

I'll be seeing it because my daughter will want to go but I have a feeling this is going to be really bad

On 10/31/2023 at 7:36 PM, Artboy99 said:

That's worse than clowns. It sounds like We are the World or I'd like to give the world a coke. :facepalm:

And it is being reported that the director left the film while it was still in post-production so she could go start a new film.  Perhaps to give her "deniablitly" if it tanked.

Variety Article

Then eyebrows were raised again when DaCosta began working on another film while “The Marvels” was still in postproduction — the filmmaker moved to London earlier this year to begin prepping for her Tessa Thompson drama “Hedda.”  (A representative for DaCosta declined to comment.) 

“If you’re directing a $250 million movie, it’s kind of weird for the director to leave with a few months to go,” says a source familiar with the production. 

Edited by media_junkie

On 11/2/2023 at 3:58 PM, media_junkie said:

And it is being reported that the director left the film while it was still in post-production so she could go start a new film.  Perhaps to give her "deniablitly" if it tanked.

Variety Article

I read this today and was surprised. They said the post-production was done by someone else.

:whatthe:

Now take it with a grain of salt, but "Bounding Into Comics" is saying a $45 to $50 million domestic opening for "The Marvels".  I would be stunned if it was that low (I'm thinking in the $70ish range), but still even if it is in the 70's this movie is going to tank so hard.  Last report on budget I saw was they had spent $275 million (but that only accounted for everything done up until September of 2022).  You know by now they have spent upwards of $300 million or more (not counting the ad budget).