• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2023 at 10:48 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I think if I read most of the reviews posted by boardies here, most were positive (better than they expected but still not on par with pre phase 4 movies) with the exception of 1 or 2 (I remember NWO's)

Am I right @Bosco685 ?

IMO it was a turd.  Boring.  If it were a TV episode it might have been ok, but too long.  The ultimate resolution of the villain was underwhelming and illogical.  The story was incoherent in the sense that while you could follow it, the rationale behind each step didn't make sense.  One problem that has been in other MCU movies, but was overdone in this one is that you have a hero with virtually unlimited power who struggles to take down some random powerless soldier.  Samuel L Jackson needs to move on from the MCU as his schtick is tired (ooh, let me guess, he's going to be sassy...).  I wouldn't say it was a bad movie, but it was definitely not a good movie.  

On 11/14/2023 at 10:22 AM, VintageComics said:

We live in a world where the average Joe can better understand what people want than the "experts". All the "experts" have done is ruin everything lately. 

Time to scale it back a bit and use human input rather than algorithms and focus groups and "experts".

I do think MCU and Disney has gotten the message now.  Even if they dont want to course correct they have no choice now.

It's time again to "pander" to what the general audience truly wants.

Voting with one's wallet creates change, always has.

On 11/14/2023 at 1:23 PM, buttock said:

IMO it was a turd.  Boring.  If it were a TV episode it might have been ok, but too long.  The ultimate resolution of the villain was underwhelming and illogical.  The story was incoherent in the sense that while you could follow it, the rationale behind each step didn't make sense.  One problem that has been in other MCU movies, but was overdone in this one is that you have a hero with virtually unlimited power who struggles to take down some random powerless soldier.  Samuel L Jackson needs to move on from the MCU as his schtick is tired (ooh, let me guess, he's going to be sassy...).  I wouldn't say it was a bad movie, but it was definitely not a good movie.  

You lied. Mods notified. 

One last thing on "Killers of the Flower Moon."

That movie absolutely shows how you can tell a story that delivers a powerful message without being preachy.

Show me the moral lesson without telling me I have to feel that way before hand. 

On 11/14/2023 at 12:48 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I think if I read most of the reviews posted by boardies here, most were positive (better than they expected but still not on par with pre phase 4 movies) with the exception of 1 or 2 (I remember NWO's)

Am I right @Bosco685 ?

I think it was more than a few not pleased. The rest good to great. Folks should judge for themselves for sure.

On 11/14/2023 at 12:39 PM, jsilverjanet said:

for all the talk here, I'm curious how many actually go to the movies regularly

or is this how everyone hates modern comics but hasn't purchased a comic in over 20 years?

I've bought about 5,000 comics over the past three years. About 1,600 are "modern" (between 2000-2017). The rest are from about 1942-1985. I have read two or three current comics, a Tom King Batman that was incomprehensible, a badly drawn Supergirl, and maybe another that I don't remember. I dislike all of the current comics, but either bought them for the covers or they were given to me. I have a few current comics because I did the art for them and was sent comp copies. I bought the other moderns as an investment, because they are all newsstand editions. I hope to convert them into Golden or Silver age comics that I actually collect. The only comics I thoroughly enjoy are Carl Barks Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge stories. Everything else is for nostalgia or art.

I regularly attended movies at the rate of about once a month until Endgame. Since then, I've seen only the following in theaters:
Into the Spider-verse (liked it)

Multiverse of Madness (liked it, but a couple things were offensive)

GotG 3 (sort of liked it but barely remember it now)

Joker (liked it until it got boring)

Far From Home (liked it)

Shazam (liked it mildly)

Nobody (liked this a lot)

Shang-Chi (except for foul-mouthed gf, liked it)

Sound of Freedom (liked a lot)

That is about all the movies I saw in theaters over the past few years, down from about 15 a year up to Endgame.

I've seen quite a few movies on streaming services, like Love and thunder (hated it), Eternals (never finished it), Wonder Woman 2 (interesting, not great, but pleasant), and many others. One of my favorites from this group is the true story, Run Hide Fight.

IMDb has this rated at 6.1 so far. But that includes 3.9K users giving it a 10.0/10 and 7.1K giving it a 1.0/10 overall.

image.thumb.png.b393516e60437da771373e48f3d32bf0.png

If we had the total counts like they used to provide, this may ride between a 5.0-6.0 overall. Far below the first film.

image.thumb.png.0d20935435f4f6bd3665ef378a8c6700.png

On 11/14/2023 at 1:45 PM, Bosco685 said:

But that includes 3.9K users giving it a 10.0/10

That's over 1/3 of people giving a poor movie a 10/10

Does this happen very often with movie reviews in your experience?

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/14/2023 at 1:04 PM, jsilverjanet said:

i think it's too difficult to do that without FF/X-Men

Let's see what happens but they really should not have made a lot of these movies in phase 4 and 5. they were totally a cash grab that failed

There are a lot of good stories in there, in the comics themselves, that are more interesting than recent fare. In the FF universe, there are a lot of stories I'd like to see, like the Negative Zone/Annihilus, The Thing as a Kree battle slave, the Inhumans, and many more. Even within the existing groups, there is the Avengers Zodiac story, the Kree-Skrull war, Kang, and many more. I wouldn't mind seeing another Ultron movie (one survived, and he's back), or a proper Steranko SHIELD, Spider-Man vs. the Kingpin, Iron Man vs. the Maggia, or any one of dozens of other interesting stories.

On 11/14/2023 at 1:48 PM, VintageComics said:

That's over 1/3 of people giving a poor movie a 10/10

Does this happen very often with movie reviews in your experience?

It's the folks boosting a movie (thousands at 10.0) or attacking a movie (thousands at 1.0) to throw off the IMDb reporting stats.

And at times, it can be the studios as well. Either point of the spectrum should be treated as outliers and the central tendencies gadged from there due to forced manipulation.

On 11/14/2023 at 11:47 AM, Bosco685 said:

I just want to check in advance - is it okay to discuss the movie here? I don't want mod action otherwise.

ha-just-kidding.gif.9bdc38c272d21548e49ac2ed7a93f298.gif

it would be nice if the chat could be about the movie. I returned to this thread to see what others have thought about the movie and it was very disappointing to see 6 pages of stuff that turned out to not be about The Marvels. Oh well.

On 11/14/2023 at 5:50 PM, sfcityduck said:

Really hope DC learned the lesson and we don't get "Fourth World" attempts. 

The Snyder Cut of Justice League was good in that respect.

On 11/13/2023 at 8:26 PM, VintageComics said:

God, I'm so glad you're here. This is SUCH an important point that hasn't been discussed to my knowledge and it completely eviscerates any discussion over why superhero movies are failing. 

Men and women are biologically and psychologically WIRED DIFFERENTLY. THEY ARE OPPOSITES.

Guys LOVE superheroes, action, conflict, fighting, aggression. We LITERALLY get OFF on it. The other day I saw a bunch of my friends on IG dressed in Middle Ages battle armor and fighting with swords and axes in a pit. For fun. It was their "Sunday-Funday"

Did you guys know that guy's testosterone levels increase just being close to "guy" things? lol

It's why guys are obsessed with sports, video games, verbal jousting, play fighting, and why we can literally argue or throw fists at each other and afterwards walk away and shake hands respectfully. 

When I shared the video with a lady friend of mine, who is VERY progressive, strong, independent and accomplished (she's the Founder of the charity event I'm working on) she rolled her eyes and couldn't believe it. She wanted nothing to do with it. :roflmao:

And what Disney is doing, so that they can "appeal to women" is they are trying to force women into a genre that historically, biologically and psychologically THEY HAVE WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH. 

And then they wonder why the movies are failing.

This is literally a clown world we are living in, trying to force square pegs into round holes and convincing everyone they fit. Superhero movies don't appeal to women nearly as much as they appeal to men and they are trying to convince you they do while they are literally going bankrupt trying to do so. It's as though they have NO idea what the target audience is, and they know better than everyone so you'll sit and enjoy it. lol

Women DON'T LOVE THE GENRE THE WAY MEN DO.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH INEQUALITY. THEY DON'T WANT IT.

Why do you all think V for Vendetta was two of my 3 daughter's favorite movies? Because they could relate to Evey. 

They can't relate to Captain Marvel. Of course if you fill them with enough testosterone they might. That's the reality. But naturally? No. 

End. Mic drop. 

Disney can send me their check. 

marshall-you-know-himym.gif

statistic_id807365_marvel-studios-movie-viewership-in-the-us-2018-by-gender.png

On 11/14/2023 at 2:20 PM, jaybuck43 said:

marshall-you-know-himym.gif

statistic_id807365_marvel-studios-movie-viewership-in-the-us-2018-by-gender.png

You're actually an expert in media from what I understand so this conversation would be right up your alley, right? So that's why half formed rebuttals like this seem disingenuous.  

Is this subject to peer review? :wink:

Your graph obviously confirms what I've been saying all along, that the audiences are male dominated, but his discussion isn't about sheer numbers. It's about WHO the target audience is and WHY the movies aren't reaching the target audience and that graph answers neither of those questions. 

How many women who saw those movies were dragged by their spouses or partners? :D

How many women independently went to see the MCU movies?

How many men independently went to see the MCU movies?

If the majority of men are driven to see these movies, and they drag their partners to see them are the women still the target audience?

Those questions tell the story behind the graph and you'd have to dissect those points to establish the one you're trying to make. 

Tell you what, you invest in the coming women's superteam and I'll invest in the X-men and we can compare notes in 5 years.

Do we have a deal?

Edited by VintageComics