• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2023 at 3:04 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Chapick

Chapek.  

Part of the problem is his name. It needs to be more everyday. Like Smith.

(:

But part of the problem with these two gents was the staff war that took place where Iger had his designated leads and Chapek started replacing them to establish his own control. Which then pizzed off Iger.

That CBS article about the executive environment plays out how toxic it became for everyone. To include once the Board started asking Chapek to hang back for private talks how this upset Iger. There comes a point you have to honor the transition.

On 11/17/2023 at 12:40 AM, paqart said:

At this point, I believe the "culture of sexual harrassment" is exaggerated. It may be found more often in Hollywood, New York, San Francisco,and similar places, but in other places, it is much rarer.

Wrong.

Even in Hollywood, there are quite a few well-known players who absolutely reject the Weinsteins of the world. These men and women do what they can to stop mistreatment of others if it comes to their attention and they are in a position to do something about it. The Weinsteins (and worse, the Bill Cosbys) exist, but their numbers are not as large as purported. They get outsize coverage because of the scandalous nature of their behavior and their rarefied positions (note the word "rarefied") give them opportunities that others thankfully don't have.

I have a friend in LA who was studying to be an actress, pre-covid. The stories she would tell me about wannabe players in Hollywood who had a small hand in producing and the approach they used on her just boggled my mind. 

A couple levels lower and you have colleagues trying to date each other at the office. I've seen that at a couple places I worked at, but as far as I could tell, the people involved wanted to date each other. I have no idea how many unsuccessful and unwanted attempts were made because my time was spent working or with my family, not socializing with colleagues. The only exception is racquetball, which I played often with a couple of my fellow animators on Space Jam. All three of us were married, so none of us were a part of the dating scene.

Wrong. I've taken 4 or 5 EEOC classes specifically on Sexual Harassment in the workplace and the numbers are astounding. Between FY 2018 and FY 2021, the EEOC received a total of 98,411 charges alleging harassment under any basis and 27,291 charges alleging sexual harassment. It is believed that the number of unreported cases is so much LARGER, due to the stigma, humiliation and burden of filing. 

On 11/16/2023 at 3:12 PM, Bosco685 said:

Part of the problem is his name. It needs to be more everyday. Like Smith.

(:

But part of the problem with these two gents was the staff war that took place where Iger had his designated leads and Chapek started replacing them to establish his own control. Which then pizzed off Iger.

That CBS article about the executive environment plays out how toxic it became for everyone. To include once the Board started asking Chapek to hang back for private talks how this upset Iger. There comes a point you have to honor the transition.

There are some additional issues that have not become public yet and I am not sure if they will.  But the main one was that Iger believed that Chapek would keep his personal views more in check so as to not rock the apple cart.  He... didn't.  This caused A LOT of friction amongst those executives.  Disney has done a very good job keeping this story contained.

On 11/17/2023 at 12:57 AM, VintageComics said:

I genuinely don't want to continue to derail the topic to talk about sex but I've travelled extensively to every major US city many times over for comic cons, so I was speaking not only from extensive personal experiences but also from insight gained from spending time in these places and developing deep, lasting relationships with people in those places.

I also tend to be a bit of a historian on Hollywood due to my love for Vintage things and Vintage culture, hence the name. 

Sex is very much more "in your face" there than in any other city I've been to, whether it's Seattle,Chicago, NYC. 

Go to ANY nightclub, bougie dinner place or bar and you'll see what I mean. Most "fun" places look like a watered down version of a Great Gatsby or Wolf Of Wall Street movie, quite literally and after last call? Forget about it. Everyone is high and drunk and looking for where to go next. 

"Boys Town" is the LGBTQ's nickname for the area on Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood and it's one "in your face", unpretentious example. It's the largest LGBBTQ community in the US and walking down the street is an experience, especially at night. lol

West Hollywood in general though, is highly sexualized and is quite literally a world to itself. It's the epicentre of debauchery and in my opinion only rivalled by Vegas or Miami which tie for 2nd IMO.

Just walk the streets of West Hollywood one night on a weekend and everyone will see what I mean. 

The reason? The most "attractive" people in the world move there to make it in entertainment, so is it any wonder that their looks become the vehicles to success? It's literally supermodel central, every day, all day.

OK, carry on. 

Pfft. LA sucks. 

From experience, I can assure you, there are places in the world that would curl your hair compared to LA.

On 11/16/2023 at 3:19 PM, jaybuck43 said:

There are some additional issues that have not become public yet and I am not sure if they will.  But the main one was that Iger believed that Chapek would keep his personal views more in check so as to not rock the apple cart.  He... didn't.  This caused A LOT of friction amongst those executives.  Disney has done a very good job keeping this story contained.

It's one of the wilder big company transition stories to go public. 

Although Iger's old Corporate Communications hatchet lead that would publish hit pieces on talent didn't last it out. I think she was involved in the Scarlett Johansson Black Widow pieces. But I may be wrong.

On 11/17/2023 at 1:24 AM, VintageComics said:

I have been on every single dating app over the years.

YOU CANNOT IMAGINE HOW MANY WOMEN PUT THIS STUFF THAT PAQART WROTE ABOVE IN THEIR DATING APPS. doh!

They write things like:

"I want a real man who takes the lead."

"I want a man's man."

"I want a man, not a boy."

"I want a real man who can think independently"

"I want my man to be a man so I can be a women."

"I want a man to make me feel safe and secure so that I can be a woman for him"

We are literally living in the most dysfunctional time in human history, where the media is telling men what women want, is telling women what men want but when women are crying out AROUND AND IN SPITE OF THE MEDIA for what THEY want, NOBODY IS LISTENING.

And then we label the men as misogynists for pointing it out. 

Go argue with these women about what they want, not with me. lol

THIS IS literally a CLOWN WORLD we live in right now. 

Women also say, "No, I'm not mad...", and "No, nothing's wrong..." and "It's up to YOU where we go eat..."

What people SAY and what they DO are two entirely different things. 

Maybe dating apps aren't the best place to get your examples of human behavior. 

On 11/16/2023 at 2:46 PM, Prince Namor said:

You talk about other people changing lanes... Jimminy H Christ on a popsicle stick, you just jumped four lanes and bounced off the curb. 

Yes, but I signalled the lane change. Pay attention! :wink:

On 11/16/2023 at 3:03 PM, Prince Namor said:

Explain to everyone what you think it is. 

Read the thread. 

On 11/16/2023 at 2:57 PM, Prince Namor said:

And it's done to people who have little power (or money) to speak out and defend themselves and thus mostly get ignored and overcome by it. 

So, you're disagreeing with Paqart and saying it IS far more prevalent than he thinks it is?

On 11/16/2023 at 2:50 PM, Prince Namor said:

Yep, this is exactly how movie studios (and any business) approaches it, and not the reasons (agendas) that 'some people' think.

You have a product and you want to make it accessible to sell it to as MANY people as you can.

Plain and simple as that. 

I totally agree. 

To offer an extreme example, to show that you can't please everyone how to movies about things people dislike go over?

On 11/16/2023 at 2:56 PM, sfcityduck said:

The above is what we call an ad hominem logical fallacy. A personal attack not an argument.

It's also wrong, unevidenced, and contrary to what you've read here. You are lauding at least one poster for being such a great source of information who keeps telling you that my recitals of corporate decision making are "exactly right."

I don't know how to explain the fact that you are misquoting me repeatedly, which is a form of lying and then inserting talking points that I'm not talking about. It's pretty blatant. Anyway..

On 11/17/2023 at 2:34 AM, VintageComics said:

The rest was meant to be discussion and you've turned it into politics, conspiracy theory and personal attacks. 

That's your discussion core in a nutshell...

And before you call that an attack, I'm referring you using it in your description of someone else. Is that an 'attack' as well?

On 11/16/2023 at 3:04 PM, sfcityduck said:

The women I interact with are never trying to impress me romantically.

I would never date a women who was trying to impress me romantically and I can weed those out like...well a turd. 

But there you go again implying you understand everyone's INTENT again. 

On 11/16/2023 at 3:04 PM, sfcityduck said:

I don't know any who disagree with the notion that its ok to have movies centered on strong female characters, including superhero movies. 

Neither do I.

Isn't it weird that you keep bringing that up in rebuttals to me when I don't disagree with you on it? ???

You really need to start quoting me DIRECTLY and replying DIRECTLY to EXACTLY what I'm saying rather than twisting it. 

On 11/16/2023 at 3:20 PM, Prince Namor said:

Pfft. LA sucks. 

From experience, I can assure you, there are places in the world that would curl your hair compared to LA.

Again with mischaracterization. I called it the most shallow place on earth. Why do you making the same mistakes? lol

On 11/16/2023 at 3:29 PM, Prince Namor said:

Maybe dating apps aren't the best place to get your examples of human behavior. 

They don't. Again, you mischaracterize my points. I said that MOST of my experiences come from real life. 

On 11/16/2023 at 3:34 PM, namisgr said:

Gotta remember this one.  Word of the day!

Would you believe I used that word from a dating site? True story. 

We used to call each other cockwombles as a joke. Good times!

Sex is very much more "in your face" there than in any other city I've been to, whether it's Seattle,Chicago, NYC. 

Go to ANY nightclub, bougie dinner place or bar and you'll see what I mean. Most "fun" places look like a watered down version of a Great Gatsby or Wolf Of Wall Street movie, quite literally and after last call? Forget about it. Everyone is high and drunk and looking for where to go next. 

"Boys Town" is the LGBTQ's nickname for the area on Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood and it's one "in your face", unpretentious example. It's the largest LGBBTQ community in the US and walking down the street is an experience, especially at night. lol

West Hollywood in general though, is highly sexualized and is quite literally a world to itself. It's the epicentre of debauchery and in my opinion only rivalled by Vegas or Miami which tie for 2nd IMO.

Just walk the streets of West Hollywood one night on a weekend and everyone will see what I mean. 

Didn't see the shallow part.