• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2020 at 11:14 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

If the Captain Marvel sequel does take place in the present, then it will most likely be a cross-over mini-Avengers movie, like the Captain America films were (beginning with Winter Soldier), I bet.

I bet you're right

:shiftyeyes:

On 11/16/2023 at 6:13 PM, Bosco685 said:

I am so glad CGC moderation cracked down on non-comic book content as otherwise we may talk about comic book content in those threads.

Man, you never had so many people interested in a thread until this discussion started. :baiting:

-----------------------------

MOST of the unwanted (non-comic) discussion came from bad acting and contentious posts. If you remove the insults, you can remove about 1/4-1/3 of the discussion and if you removed people defending themselves from insults, you can remove ANOTHER 1/4-1/3 of the posts, and so you'd be left with 15 pages of SOLID, fact filled and ejoyable back and forth. 

If moderation clamped down on insults the way they clamped down on Covid talk they'd have a forum that would be more inclusive for EVERYONE rather than people being afraid to jump into a discussion for fear of being attacked in stating their beliefs. 

This is nothing more than coercion or "forcing behavior" in social circles. 

On 11/16/2023 at 5:42 PM, WeR138 said:

Wanted a non male movie nerd opinion of this show.

Typed "Marvels review" into Youtube and watched the first video that came up that was a female reviewer (skipped the blonde with the chalkboard voice).

This is just...yikes.

I enjoyed the review. It seemed plausible to me, as one more reason why I'm not interested in the movie. Funny thing, it's more interesting to discuss the movie here than to see it.

On 11/16/2023 at 6:13 PM, Mr Sneeze said:
On 1/23/2020 at 9:01 AM, TupennyConan said:

This is going to set-off the internet! 

From page 1, you saw this all along!

Anybody who sees clearly saw it coming. (thumbsu

On 11/16/2023 at 6:42 PM, Bosco685 said:

I have a Habitat For Humanity event to attend tomorrow. I can only imagine how deep this thread will be by end of day.

Nah. The conversation is pretty much over. Everyone has stated their positions and there's not much left to discuss. 

Just wait until I watch Barbie with my daughters and report back. :baiting:

On 11/16/2023 at 6:34 PM, VintageComics said:

Man, you never had so many people interested in a thread until this discussion started. :baiting:

-----------------------------

MOST of the unwanted (non-comic) discussion came from bad acting and contentious posts. If you remove the insults, you can remove about 1/4-1/3 of the discussion and if you removed people defending themselves from insults, you can remove ANOTHER 1/4-1/3 of the posts, and so you'd be left with 15 pages of SOLID, fact filled and ejoyable back and forth. 

If moderation clamped down on insults the way they clamped down on Covid talk they'd have a forum that would be more inclusive for EVERYONE rather than people being afraid to jump into a discussion for fear of being attacked in stating their beliefs. 

This is nothing more than coercion or "forcing behavior" in social circles. 

I disagree. I'm not sure you were actively engaged in the conversations here for years.

• John Wick movies - people were have many discussions about the good and not-so-good elements
  • Wrath of Man movie - That was one of the best performances by Jason Statham next to Snatch
  • Stranger Things show - loads of great discussion what was going on

I wouldn't plug in assumptions to the reality here of all the good that took place. Comic book discussions too often lean into:

• My studio is better than your studio
  • Hating a director or writers because they didn't convey the story the way my comic book I am holding up to the screen captured it
  • For the longest time proclaiming to sell everything to Disney/Marvel Studios so it could make everything as glorious and connected

So all the lore and legend overshadowing healthy conversation.

On 11/16/2023 at 4:34 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Just watched Rise of Skywalker. Atrocious film, and as said in an earlier post about the MCU, a classic example of a franchise feeling milked out.

One scene after another of overfamiliar ideas that you’ve watched played out time and time again in the earlier films, and a tedious chore to sit through.

Cranking the scale of events up to 11, and sad nostalgia, doesn’t disguise that vacuity.

This was a good post and it points out something important.

When you take the CREATOR out of the picture and let others (especially a committee of others) decide what the story should be, you're just deluding the essence of what only the creator can really visualize.

That's why a lot of manga holds up for so long and is as well regarded. The original creators stay with it for DECADES. The original vision is always built upon, as opposed to someone else putting their voice and ideas behind it.

although Bosco seems displeased with how this thread evolved it is evident that this is one of the better threads , probably the singular best thread in the comic related movies section ever !!

many of us were impressed by the depth of some of the amazingly eye opening posts that revealed truths that would have otherwise been dismissed

On 11/16/2023 at 6:57 PM, Bosco685 said:

I'm not sure you were actively engaged in the conversations here for years.

I didn't pop my head in here for years at a time so I missed a lot, but my :baiting: was just meant as a light hearted joke. 

John Wick movies - people were have many discussions about the good and not-so-good elements

I only enjoyed the 1st one. By the time the 2nd one came it was kind of boring for me. 

I'm actually not a fan of Keanu Reeves as an action hero. I LOVE him as a person. I LOVE him as an actor, especially in Matrix, but as an "action hero" I have real trouble, and the reason is weird. I love symmetry and bodybuilding and his pigeon toed walk makes it really hard to believe he's an action hero because in fighting, footwork is everything and if your posture and skeleton isn't straight you have an immediate weak point that will fold under extreme pressure. 

I know this is a little 'nitpick' having followed things like bodybuilding since reading Schwarzenegger's biography around 1980 or 81, I hyper focus on these things and it's just not believable enough to me. It's Hollywood fluff using camera angles and trickery to paint an illusion and once I see it, I can't unsee it. I'm a purist that way. 

They do it a lot with Charlize Theron as well. Beautiful face, but not a fan of her as an action hero because she doesn't cut it for me the same way. You need someone like Sigourney Weaver to make it believable. 

Stranger Things show - loads of great discussion what was going on

I've avoided reading up on this one because I'm still back on season 2 but I LOVE the 80s time capsule feel. It's literally my childhood on the big screen. 

I do think it's cool that everyone dressed as Eddie Munson last year for Hallowe'en. I was in Baltimore last year for Comic Con and went to a costume party with 1000's of people at the local party spot and literally Eddie Munson was EVERYWHERE. 

When I asked people why they were dressed looking like me, they explained.

It was hilarious that 40 years later everyone dressed the way I did as a teenager. lol

That's me on the left in 1985 or so. :blush:

image.png.3bebb414fcfe78b3693fd6949451db4a.png

On 11/16/2023 at 7:02 PM, Prince Namor said:

But none of that included Roy, so essentially... it doesn't exist. Only Roy's reality exists.

Dude, it was a joke. Lay off whatever they're slipping you over there. 

On 11/16/2023 at 5:46 PM, paqart said:

He asked for eras, societies, cultures, not one-off small scale policy choices.

Don't remember the era in which those happened or the society that enacted them, huh?  Protecting the public from it's own destructive behavior, in order to protect or reduce burdens on society as a whole, including seat belt, motorcycle helmet, cigarette age restrictions, drunk driving laws, and a host of other 'forced behaviors' constituted far more than what you seem to think were small scale policy choices.  

Selective service ('the draft') would be another example.  When nations go to war is kind of a big deal involving a lot of forced sacrifice.

Edited by namisgr

On 11/16/2023 at 7:08 PM, 1950's war comics said:

although Bosco seems displeased with how this thread evolved it is evident that this is one of the better threads , probably the singular best thread in the comic related movies section ever !!

many of us were impressed by the depth of some of the amazingly eye opening posts that revealed truths that would have otherwise been dismissed

If you are a fan of these posts, you should thoroughly enjoy them.

I wouldn't speak for the majority of those frequenting this area. They's just numb to it now.

:cheers: