• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2023 at 3:17 PM, Prince Namor said:

Wrong.

I have a friend in LA who was studying to be an actress, pre-covid. The stories she would tell me about wannabe players in Hollywood who had a small hand in producing and the approach they used on her just boggled my mind. 

Wrong. I've taken 4 or 5 EEOC classes specifically on Sexual Harassment in the workplace and the numbers are astounding. Between FY 2018 and FY 2021, the EEOC received a total of 98,411 charges alleging harassment under any basis and 27,291 charges alleging sexual harassment. It is believed that the number of unreported cases is so much LARGER, due to the stigma, humiliation and burden of filing. 

Those EEOC classes are your problem right there. If I ever took over a company, they'd be the first thing over the side, followed by the worthless DEI officers.

On 11/16/2023 at 4:18 PM, Prince Namor said:

When Giant Size X-Men #1 came out and the X-Men book was re-started (at #94), it was NOT a success. 

In today's world, it would be viewed as a 'failure' of 'diversity' and that the non-white, male dominated reader of comics, just weren't listened to and that Marvell's desire to appeal to 'Black Females' with a character like Storm, a Russian with Colossus, or God Forbid, a Canadian, with Wolverine, had failed miserably. 

The first Statement of Publication for the book, about 16 issues in, was 123,725, low even by the falling standards of 1978 (Example of the higher end: Amazing Spider-man at 281,000, lower end Daredevil, the turd of the line at the time, banished to bi-monthly at 125,000)

Marvel just chugged on with it and as they got better writers and artists and things settled...

Well you know the rest. 

When those two issues came out, it was after about 30 issues of reprints. I had given up on X-Men for that reason and missed GXM 1 and X-Men 94, but they both came out when I was avidly buying comics. I found out about the new X-Men around issue 98, loved the new version of the series, and started buying 25 copies of every issue. Every kid I knew was into the series, and the comic store I worked for got a very good premium for the earlier issues only a few months after they'd come out.

On 11/16/2023 at 2:35 PM, Cat said:

What? Many of us seem to lead normal love lives. Those who don't seem to have personal reasons for doing so, not because they're incels incapable of holding a conversation with a woman. 

What an UTTERLY bizarre statement. 

what a very peculiar response

i disagree with what you posted but you can believe what you want if it makes you feel better

On 11/16/2023 at 3:40 PM, Prince Namor said:

It's funny that the people who try to center on what 'women really want' don't realize that women as a demographic are just as diverse and different amongst themselves, that there's no WAY to narrow it down to an exact specific. We are ALL different people with different needs and interests. It can vary greatly from one person to the next. 

On that subject, all I know is the only thing my future wife wanted was me. The feeling was mutual, so we've been together a little over 39 years. My first and only date. So glad I missed the drama, even if it is interesting to watch in movies.

Edited by paqart

On 11/17/2023 at 5:33 AM, VintageComics said:

I didn't do that purposefully, I was trying to limit my words. lol

That's why I posted the video for transparency. I wasn't trying to show that Blackrock is forcing you and me,

Make a statement: "I wasn't trying to show that Blackrock is forcing you and me"

which is what I think MOST got from it.

Blame it's message on how YOU see it: "which is what I think MOST got from it."

I was trying to show what the internal, guiding philosophy that guides Blackrock is and I think it's fair to say that if a company espouses a value, that value extends from the inside to the outside, would that be a fair statement? :smile:

You can't have a company that supports only VEGANISM selling animal meat, right?

Yet still back it up from YOUR perspective: "I think it's fair to say that if a company espouses a value, that value extends from the inside to the outside, would that be a fair statement?"

Perfect example of how to be completely disingenuous and try and make it look factual.

Diabolical in its manipulation.

On 11/16/2023 at 5:42 PM, WeR138 said:

Wanted a non male movie nerd opinion of this show.

Typed "Marvels review" into Youtube and watched the first video that came up that was a female reviewer (skipped the blonde with the chalkboard voice).

This is just...yikes.

Wow, she really nails what Disney did philosophically. 

They took a franchise where people expected an extension of The Avengers which was catered to all ages, turned it into a Hanna Montana film that should have been animated and sold it as an adult film. 

"It really doesn't matter what the plot is because the overall execution of the film is not meant for me. It's meant for children." 

I am now CERTAINLY going to avoid this in the theater and CERTAINLY going to watch this passively so that I can have an educated opinion on the film. 

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. :jokealert:

What's funny is how many adults on here are defending this film. What is sad is how many adults enjoyed it. lol

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/16/2023 at 5:42 PM, WeR138 said:

Typed "Marvels review" into Youtube and watched the first video that came up that was a female reviewer (skipped the blonde with the chalkboard voice).

This is just...yikes.

nails-on-chalkboard-getting-attention.gif.8c187495301eee588f8ba37e857b3c7b.gif

She used an appropriate analogy without attacking anyone or implying hater or fanatic either way

:applause:

On 11/17/2023 at 5:42 AM, WeR138 said:

This is just...yikes.

What's yikes?

I enjoyed it more than she did, but I think her premise is probably dead on. 

On 11/17/2023 at 5:52 AM, WeR138 said:

It's yikes that she gave it a "D-" 

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I enjoyed 'The Incredibles' too, which was made for children and the first 'Into the Spider-verse' which I felt the same. I don't like 'The Marvels' as much as those movies, but it's the same idea.

Anyone thinking this is an Avengers movie will be disappointed. I don't blame the movie, I blame Disney in how they marketed it. 

On 11/16/2023 at 4:57 PM, Prince Namor said:

I enjoyed 'The Incredibles' too, which was made for children and the first 'Into the Spider-verse' which I felt the same. I don't like 'The Marvels' as much as those movies, but it's the same idea.

Anyone thinking this is an Avengers movie will be disappointed. I don't blame the movie, I blame Disney in how they marketed it. 

I agree. Those are good movies.

Not many people enjoy the old "Bait and Switch".