• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces Updates to Services and Fees for 2022
6 6

228 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2022 at 11:06 AM, wombat said:

they wouldn't tell you 9 was the new time. you would just have to sit there with no updates. and then it would be 9 next week. i hate this restaurant. 

And there's a big bindery tear on your steak that looks like a rat chewed it.  But you pay full price anyway 

Ok...that analogy doesn't really work. 

• Administrator
On 1/4/2022 at 4:37 PM, Qalyar said:

I do have a non-customer-complaint question. @CGC Mike perhaps you can answer this one. The new return shipping rates include a "26-30" book line entry. Does this mean that CGC has changed the packaging for return shipping such that they are capable of shipping 30 slabs at a time?

This has been changed.

shipping chart.png

What happens if my membership expires prior to CGC grading (or shipping) my books?

i.e. if they are still being pressed, or if they are still waiting to be opened?

Do they grade them since the form was submitted prior to expiration or will they put the screws to me for another year?

• Administrator
On 1/5/2022 at 12:17 PM, manetteska said:

What happens if my membership expires prior to CGC grading (or shipping) my books?

i.e. if they are still being pressed, or if they are still waiting to be opened?

Do they grade them since the form was submitted prior to expiration or will they put the screws to me for another year?

As long as your books are received before the membership expires, they will be graded.  

The spot resin (plastics) market basically doubled in price in 2021 and affected plastics pricing and availability across the board. We saw that happen for comic supplies, and it invariably affected the supply chain for the slabs themselves. It has now started to finally come back down as supplies increase.

Public Research (theplasticsexchange.com)

Plastic Resin Prices 2021 | Resin Shortage & Cost of Plastic Explained (summitpackaging.com)

The cost of paper and packaging was also affected. (CGC has changed their packaging material recently to compensate I think.)

Producer Price Index by Industry: Corrugated and Solid Fiber Box Manufacturing: Primary Products (PCU322211322211P) | FRED | St. Louis Fed (stlouisfed.org)

Coupled with their expansion and increased infrastructure costs, there are additional reasons why another price increase was considered so early probably. Usually, one thing you can do is pull more income from an established, successful division to cover the costs of starting up/running other areas of the company that are not yet profitable.

I kind of like the restaurant analogy being discussed here, but if I were at that restaurant I would not only get seated 17 days after my reservation, my conversation at the table would be something like...

Me (getting my food):  I'm sorry, this wasn't what I ordered.

Waiter:  It's your copy of JIM #83, isn't it?  In a fresh new holder?

Me:  Yes, but I ordered a 6.0.

Waiter:  And you'll get a 3.5 restored.  Enjoy, sir!

Me:  (rising to leave) Check, please! :mad:

Waiter: (over shoulder):  You've already paid, sir...

D

Well the price increase is unexpected so close to the last increase but the biggest kicker for me is There are no changes to FedEx return shipping fees. However, please note that CGC will no longer use UPS for return shipments unless the submitter has a UPS account.

Based on my poor experiences recently with FedEx, I was moving to a pure UPS return policy. Guess I'll need to set up an account. 

On 1/5/2022 at 12:11 PM, cd4ever said:

And there's a big bindery tear on your steak that looks like a rat chewed it.  But you pay full price anyway 

Ok...that analogy doesn't really work. 

Are we being served in a basement or a scenic Oregon garage?

On 1/5/2022 at 12:11 PM, cd4ever said:

And there's a big rat bite and fecal droppings on your steak.  But you pay full price anyway and to drive the point home that your business means absolutely nothing they kick you in the nads then puncture all 4 tires on your car.

how about that!

On 1/5/2022 at 10:59 AM, cd4ever said:

But we WANT to use CGC. We like and appreciate their services. 

If there's a really great restaurant you like and enjoy eating at, but it's expensive and there's usually a long wait for a table, you don't just stop going. That doesn't solve the problem. Now you're just sitting home eating a PGX burger. And it kinda tastes like very old fish. 

Homer Simpson Drooling |  MMMMM; OLD FISH | image tagged in homer simpson drooling | made w/ Imgflip meme maker