• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces Updates to Services and Fees for 2022
6 6

228 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2022 at 7:12 PM, William-James88 said:

606sf5.jpg.39d93c06d23455201e842fd206a4baf8.jpg

They got rid of the 15% discount, dropped it to 10% and got rid of the cheaper memberships that had the discount so they can force the customer into spending $300 extra a year to "save" a few bucks, Free grader notes was just them throwing their members a bone 

On 1/5/2022 at 10:10 PM, William-James88 said:

It would not make sense if the book value was the only factor but that's not the case. The different pricing is for different services. Nothing stopping someone picking a walk-through tier for a book worth less than $1000. They pay more, they get it back quicker.  

Books of a higher value must go through faster tiers because CGC wants to deal with those more quickly.

I guess I should have been more specific.  The Modern and the Economy Tier are the same value levels and 1 is 50% more.  Also while yes in theory the TATs are faster for the higher levels if suddenly standard tier got the same level of submissions as the lower tiers I'm sure the TATs would be at a similar level and then you would be paying more for the value of the book not because they would be getting it to you faster. 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:07 AM, Croatbag said:

I guess I should have been more specific.  The Modern and the Economy Tier are the same value levels and 1 is 50% more. 

Man, now you got me real confused since that's a completely different angle to your previous complaint:

On 1/5/2022 at 9:33 PM, Croatbag said:

The whole different pricing for tiers thing based on value never made any sense to me.  Imagine going to a car wash and what they charged to clean your car was based on the market value of your car.  Nevermind the service is the same thing.

Wouldn't the better allegory be "imagine going to a car wash and what they charge to clean your car was based on if it were vintage or not"?

Also, fun fact, some car washes do act like CGC. My wife wanted her Tesla washed at the gas station but since she was not purchasing gas, she was only eligible for the pricier car wash option. Her type of car was ineligible for the cheapest car wash option just like some comics are ineligible for the cheapest grading option.

Edited by William-James88

On 1/5/2022 at 1:14 PM, sevans1979 said:

If you want a good read outside of comics the Facebook and Instagram comments are getting pretty good. 

The better Instagram comments get removed, and the poster gets blocked.

In the past three days I have submitted 150 books without incident which is 100 more than I could do on the last price increase due to server issues. 

No server/lockup issues this time. 

I look forward to getting them back in 2023.  Books submitted to the tune of To Sir With love. for the mighty Sidney Poitier. A song so great it is timeless and a movie so dated it is also timeless because it goes back so far, it's in front of me. 

On 1/7/2022 at 7:52 PM, cd4ever said:

No server/lockup issues this time. 

No surprise here, but have you checked with the boys across the street as rumours have it that their computer server and submission systems have been crashing and going down ever since this price increase announcement from CGC came out?  lol

Actually, looks like the price increases were much more muted this time (i.e. < 10%) and for once, they did not ask the serious vintage comic book collector to bend over and take it up their back end where the sun doesn't shine as they have done on the last two go rounds with their WalkThrough tier.  If I remember correctly, on the increase a few years ago, didn't they raised the maximum cap price for grading a book from something like only $3,000 up to a rather egregious $5,000 and on the last increase from just several months ago, they went all out and removed this $5K max cap entirely.  :mad:  :censored:

Especially since they could have done worse by raising their fee to 5% of Fair Market Value, but we better not give them any bright ideas here.  :wink:

On 1/6/2022 at 11:33 PM, Math Teacher said:

If you're tired of reading comments, here's an interesting video by #reggiecollects. I'm not really a big fan of his, but his guest makes some salient points.

Will have to check this out  hm

Question about the price increase we had before this one as to whether or not it was a price increase for modern comics. It went from 20-22 (and now 24) BUT the threshold for using this service went from 200-400. Before this change, if you submitted a comic that was over $200 in the modern tier, you would be penalized (I have heard of CGC asking people to pay more) and if you wanted to avoid that you'd have to select either the economy or standard tier, both of which are above the current $24 grading price (plus economy has an even worse TAT). So, while it most definitely is a raise in price for moderns costing 200 and below, is it not a decrease in price for moderns worth between 200 and 400?

On 1/5/2022 at 1:29 PM, AGGIEZ said:

If they really want people to cut down on sending in modern as some have speculated, and I don't see why they would want to, then I'd add a BRONZE/COPPER tier...

Yea, anyone who says CGC wants less submissions is quite disconnected from the idea of running a business.

On 1/6/2022 at 6:28 AM, Kevin76 said:

Turnaround times could be 3 years, CGC wouldn't care, they'll just tell you to spend more money if you want them back faster

Let's be honest... there are a lot of CGC fanatics who wouldn't care either.

On 1/7/2022 at 9:07 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I mean... if it takes forever for the food to arrive and people are constantly sending it back because it isn't made correctly, and the chef just ignored all the issues....   I'd find another place.

What if it is the only place?

On 1/6/2022 at 11:33 PM, Math Teacher said:

If you're tired of reading comments, here's an interesting video by #reggiecollects. I'm not really a big fan of his, but his guest makes some salient points.

The other company that they talked about is also raising prices too.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:14 PM, toro said:

The other company that they talked about is also raising prices too.

Ack!  There will be a plethora of their customers abandoning their service and going across the street to....here?  Kiss the current TATs goodbye! :ohnoez: