• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaving your collection to someone
2 2

61 posts in this topic

A comment on another thread got me to thinking about a conversation I had with an Uncle a decade ago.  Uncle Bill was a coin collector who had saved coins for well over 50 years. After he retired, he took a job at Belmont racetrack and was allowed to  pull coins and bills as long as he replaced them. Bit by bit, his collection grew and was worth well over $100,000 at the time.  While he pushed his collecting on all his nephews, only myself and one other cousin got into collecting.  So it surprised me when he said he was going to leave his collection to all his nieces and nephews. I didn't feel it was right that he had two of us who really liked coins but my cousins who had zero interest in them would get the same as I would. 

He felt the coins were no different than stocks, and it shouldn't matter if someone liked a coin or a stock. That he would leave all of us as equal  share as he could. 

We have people with substantial collections here. Suppose you have a son who sort of collects comics and two that have no interest in them. Are you comfortable leaving one child a half million dollar asset and none to the other kids? Do you lump the comics value in to the estate so one kid gets them all but forfeits their value?

If I expected heirs to inherit relatively equally, I would set up the bequests in that fashion.  So if I have one heir who cares about the comics and one who doesn't, I'd leave all the comics to the one who cares, and the one who doesn't something else of equal value.  

I'm not sure I understand leaving a collection (or part of one) to someone who doesn't care about it.  I can imagine getting trapped in a situation where no one cares, but then you've done a poor job of preparing your heirs.

On 1/4/2022 at 2:02 PM, shadroch said:

A comment on another thread got me to thinking about a conversation I had with an Uncle a decade ago.  Uncle Bill was a coin collector who had saved coins for well over 50 years. After he retired, he took a job at Belmont racetrack and was allowed to  pull coins and bills as long as he replaced them. Bit by bit, his collection grew and was worth well over $100,000 at the time.  While he pushed his collecting on all his nephews, only myself and one other cousin got into collecting.  So it surprised me when he said he was going to leave his collection to all his nieces and nephews. I didn't feel it was right that he had two of us who really liked coins but my cousins who had zero interest in them would get the same as I would. 

He felt the coins were no different than stocks, and it shouldn't matter if someone liked a coin or a stock. That he would leave all of us as equal  share as he could. 

We have people with substantial collections here. Suppose you have a son who sort of collects comics and two that have no interest in them. Are you comfortable leaving one child a half million dollar asset and none to the other kids? Do you lump the comics value in to the estate so one kid gets them all but forfeits their value?

I would absolutely feel comfortable leaving all to one (or more) who actually care about the collection.  HOWEVER, I may be inclined, if your kids/heirs  care about the division of inheritance generally, to discuss this with all the potential heirs ahead of time.  If your only assets are $500K of comics and a $200K house, that is a totally different situation than $500K of comics and $10M of other assets.  I don't like the idea of the heirs dictating what happens to your stuff (it is your stuff, and yours to do with what you want), but often if its at least discussed ahead of time plans can be made to make things easier/more equitable/more amicable in the future (such as setting up wills and trusts, etc).  

Here's an example:  You've got $600,000 of comics and a house worth $400K, and two kids, OLDER and YOUNGER.  OLDER loves the comics.  Your goal is to split things evenly.  Certainly one option is to liquidate everything upon death and split ALL the money.  But if you got one or two (or a few) big books that equal $100K, you can tell your kids RIGHT NOW (and put it in the will and trust) that OLDER gets ALL OF THE BOOKS except the 2 withheld (= $100K), which go to YOUNGER along with the house.  Of course you notify them ahead of time informing them that obviously the price of the comics and house can change before your death, so hopefully they see this as reasonable, and OLDER gets to keep your collection mostly intact.  And they hopefully won't whine about the change in values so much when you pass, because they pre-agreed (or at least were informed of) to this.  

As a side note:  Anyone reading this can consider creating a trust to create a new tax-basis upon death with the ultimate goal of the heir paying less taxes upon the sale.  Talk to your financial planner and/or CPA about that.

The big problem I see is if you are trying to split things equally overall money wise between multiple people is valuing a large collection. Also the costs associated with liquidating a large collection. As opposed to cash/stocks/real estate. 

Are you comfortable leaving one child a half million dollar asset and none to the other kids? Do you lump the comics value in to the estate so one kid gets them all but forfeits their value?

I will apply your question to my father's situation, rather than myself.

My dad has a decent amount of musical equipment, as he always wanted to build a studio in his basement. While all 3 of his sons were gifted instruments and enrolled in lessons, I am the only one that ever took to it. My brothers ended up giving me their bass guitars and drums after high school since they didn't even try to play anymore. My dad has told me that when the fateful day comes, he is leaving all of his equipment to me, including old and pristine Les Paul guitars. I'm sure that he's 'balancing' inheritances so that we're all taken care of, but he knows that I will appreciate those items more than anyone else.

It's somewhat similar to my grandfather (Dad's dad), who intended on giving me his Superman #1 and Batman #1 comics when I exited high school, but they were destroyed. I don't think that my grandfather had any other assets that he intended on giving to my brothers though. Those simply happened to be things that he kept from childhood that massively appreciated in value, and I was the organized grandchild who enjoyed comics the most.

On 1/4/2022 at 5:02 PM, shadroch said:

Ultimately I think it's up to the individual to decide what they want done with their belongings, and the opinion of others with vested interest or not is irrelevant.

To make the decision easier, do what I did: Have just one kid.

My Son (45) and Daughter (42) will receive all of my collection, 2000 books + numerous other Marvel collectibles/memorabilia.

Who gets what is stated in my Will, at the time of the writing of the Will my Son was still into collecting so I left him the books that he would be interested in, my Daughter has already told me she is only interested in the $$$, now that my Son is no longer collecting that is all a moot point, they will sell the entire collection and split the proceeds.

On 1/4/2022 at 2:02 PM, shadroch said:

Short answer, I have 2 boys, 1 interested in Comics, the other is not.

I would leave them to 1 son, with a condition that if they were ever sold off, the proceeds will have to be divided by all of my children.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:49 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Short answer, I have 2 boys, 1 interested in Comics, the other is not.

I would leave them to 1 son, with a condition that if they were ever sold off, the proceeds will have to be divided by all of my children.

I'm not sure you could do that. Once the books are distributed to a heir, they are his.  There may be a legal way to do what you want but I don't think a simple statement would cover it.  One thing I learned from doing two estates is that verbal wishes are almost useless unless everyone involved agrees.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:08 AM, shadroch said:

I'm not sure you could do that. Once the books are distributed to a heir, they are his.  There may be a legal way to do what you want but I don't think a simple statement would cover it.  One thing I learned from doing two estates is that verbal wishes are almost useless unless everyone involved agrees.

I figured, money brings out the evil in everyone. Verbal is pretty much based on trust, which is very rare.

^I like it!  Some vague concept of "fairness to my heirs" won't enter into it for me either.

I'll end up giving more to the ones I like, and little to the ones I dislike.  For whatever (very possibly) arbitrary reason that might suit the crotchety old man I'll probably turn out to be.  There's sorta of a mercenary 'survival of the fittest' aspect too, see if any of them are smart and calculating or if they're all morons - if any of them had a lick of sense they'd have been like "ooh what a humongous AF 15 you have, sir" and I'd be like "oh you're totally getting that one when I die."

On 1/4/2022 at 5:02 PM, shadroch said:

At this moment where collectible comics are considered as part of asset class, it becomes no different than a house or a car (or shares, like your uncle put it) that is left as part of an inheritance to be distributed equally. What tends to happen is if a particular person wants more than their share (take two brothers splitting a car or a house), they have to pay the others to buy their share. 

What will happen if I ever do die is I will ask that everything be sent to Heritage and the proceeds will go in a legacy account to be split evenly among my kids. However, I do hope that during my lifetime I will instead give some of my treasured comics to them if they express interest in collecting. My nephew is cute, but not cute enough to get my GA Joker covers!

in all seriousness i still have to get my will changed. as the wife and i have no children the bigger books are given to some mess friend of the wife who doesn't like me and i don't like him. it's really something i have to sit down with the lawyer and do

On 1/5/2022 at 10:03 AM, William-James88 said:

Just wanted to say that ever since I came on these boards, you showed me the ropes and helped guide me to improving my collection. You've been like a father to me, hopefully you think of me as a son :gossip:

You bet son. Just wear your rubbers and a mask in public!