• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legit McFarlane signature??

19 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2022 at 8:50 AM, D2 said:

Yep, looks pretty legit to me. 

However, I will preface by saying that, buying any raw book with a signature on it (by someone that allows themselves to be CGC verified), is a book investment death sentence. 

If you want to read 300, I suggest buying a reader raw copy, for that authentic experience, or an old trade. 

If you want to buy the book to own a copy, and you want a raw copy, don’t buy one with a signature. 

If you want an investment copy of 300, buy a yellow label CGC. 

Oh I already have a raw copy, I just want this one because I was offered a good deal on it and I'm not planning to sell it later, but I wanna know if it is the real deal. 

I sent the pictures to Beckett and they said it is unlikely to pass verification , so that's why I'm asking for more opinions. 

Edited by ApexOrion

On 1/6/2022 at 11:07 AM, ApexOrion said:

Oh I already have a raw copy, I just want this one because I was offered a good deal on it and I'm not planning to sell it later, but I wanna know if it is the real deal. 

I sent the pictures to Beckett and they said it is unlikely to pass verification , so that's why I'm asking for more opinions. 

I have several Mcfarlane SS books, and some have full "Todd McFarlane" and some have "T. McFarlane", and this one you have posted looks real to me, but it is clearly a more "rushed" sig. (like at a show, as you point out) then the current events that CGC or others hold where he gets paid a s**t load of $$  and he takes a bit more time to make his sig is just a bit neater.....  [although still pisses me off when he doesn't sign his full name with "Todd")

On 1/6/2022 at 3:00 PM, fishbone said:

I have several Mcfarlane SS books, and some have full "Todd McFarlane" and some have "T. McFarlane", and this one you have posted looks real to me, but it is clearly a more "rushed" sig. (like at a show, as you point out) then the current events that CGC or others hold where he gets paid a s**t load of $$  and he takes a bit more time to make his sig is just a bit neater.....  [although still pisses me off when he doesn't sign his full name with "Todd")

Yeah, I've only seen a few of his signatures from the early 90's (because most pictures on Google are from SS), and I think they match. This one looks like he was already tired at the moment of signing tho. 

So, would to say there's a high chance of this being real? I really want it, and honestly, right now this would be my best chance to get a signed ASM 300, but the answer from Beckett's quick review made me doubt. I'd like to see if there are more signatures like this (aside from those on the upper left on the Spider-Man #1 copies, which are very rushed). 

On 1/6/2022 at 1:07 PM, ApexOrion said:

I’m surprised they said unlikely. 

I’ve seen a lot of McFarlane sigs over the years and this one looks like the real deal. 

Also to echo someone else’s point however, it’s not a particularly nice version of his signature though as I always opt for the full name, preferably underlined, see attached example. 

33C4A7B9-EDB4-457D-B020-79139C4368E2.jpeg

Edited by D2

On 1/6/2022 at 8:03 PM, D2 said:

I’m surprised they said unlikely. 

I’ve seen a lot of McFarlane sigs over the years and this one looks like the real deal. 

Also to echo someone else’s point however, it’s not a particularly nice version of his signature though as I always opt for the full name, preferably underlined, see attached example. 

33C4A7B9-EDB4-457D-B020-79139C4368E2.jpeg

Now that I see this one, it really looks like the real deal. It might not be perfect, but I can clearly see the lines of the letters start at the same points.

Thanks a lot!

On 1/6/2022 at 1:00 PM, fishbone said:

Rushed or not rushed, his sig is still leagues better than the likes of Claremont or Miller.  

On 1/6/2022 at 11:07 AM, ApexOrion said:

Don't know why they would say that, looks legit to me. As legit as a raw sig can get.

On 1/6/2022 at 4:00 PM, fishbone said:

Surprisingly, he gets paid way less than I would have expected. Price to value, I think Todd is the best sig to get. Plus, unlike other people doing sig series, he has a bunch of key books that get elevated with his sig and yet he still doesn't ask for that much when he could.

Very weird that Beckett's initial review is that it's not genuine, as this looks like the real deal to me.  
I was really considering sending Voldy a number of books I got signed in person, but this makes me have my doubts about doing so  :( 
I've been getting books signed in-person at conventions/store appearances for decades, and since CGC doesn't verify signatures, I was literally going to get a membership with the Distinguished Competition just to get those books encapsulated - but only if they were designated as having a legitimate autograph.  

Hello. I bought a group of comics and with the group was this green label Spider-Man 1. I'm personally fine with green labels for signed comics, as I'm getting several of my personal signed collection graded and it would fit right in. Problem is, this is a pretty dang ugly signature.  

Think this was signed in a rush by Todd? Thanks in advance for the help!

20220219_110017.jpg

20220219_105959.jpg

On 2/19/2022 at 9:04 AM, Jarodm5 said:

20220219_105959.jpg

Yes, it's real. 

McFarlane signed these for the comic book shop he owned in the early 1990's. He signed them on Spidey's knee, and the back cover has a red "spidey" stamp to mark them as authentic. The sig on these older books is way messier than his current big/bold/legible signature, but they're real. 

There's more information about them here: http://thetoybox1138.blogspot.com/2021/03/the-spiders-web.html

Edited by eee91

On 2/19/2022 at 10:16 PM, eee91 said:

Yes, it's real. 

McFarlane signed these for the comic book shop he owned in the early 1990's. He signed them on Spidey's knee, and the back cover has a red "spidey" stamp to mark them as authentic. The sig on these older books is way messier than his current big/bold/legible signature, but they're real. 

There's more information about them here: http://thetoybox1138.blogspot.com/2021/03/the-spiders-web.html

Wow, that's really interesting! I just checked and, yes indeed, there's the web stamp on the back. Glad to know that it's a cool comics side story instead of just a "sloppy" signature!

20220220_013711.jpg