• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else over the Promise Collection?
6 6

235 posts in this topic

On 1/25/2022 at 6:49 PM, MrBedrock said:

Which Promise books are folks having issues with in regard to eye appeal and preservation not related to structural issues?

It's mainly structural, like bug chews and the like, but the word ugly get thrown around for that too.

But is that all there is to it? Would a good looking high grade GA book perform as well as a Promise Collection book now if it was not part of that collection? Do you know if other higher grade GAs are selling for prices as high as what the Promise Collection books are getting?

Edited by William-James88

On 1/25/2022 at 6:18 PM, William-James88 said:

But is that all there is to it? Would a good looking high grade GA book perform as well as a Promise Collection book now if it was not part of that collection? Do you know if other higher grade GAs are selling for prices as high as what the Promise Collection books are getting?

Yes, almost all stellar examples of Golden Age books are bringing record prices these days.

Which Promise books are folks having issues with in regard to eye appeal and preservation not related to structural issues?

There are some books with annoying dust shadows on the cover.  This is one example of many.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Action Comics #107 The Promise Collection Pedigree (DC, 19...

On 1/25/2022 at 7:40 PM, MrBedrock said:

Yes, almost all stellar examples of Golden Age books are bringing record prices these days.

Look no further than many of the pre-code horror books from the Black Cat Coll. setting some surprising records.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:09 AM, HemiGTX said:

I am now seeing a fair amount of the (already sold) Promise books, being put back up for auction with Heritage. 

On 1/25/2022 at 11:34 AM, adamstrange said:

There is more re-cycling occuring on a regular bais than makes sense to me, but I've been around long enough to observe the fickle nature of many collectors in the hobby so I'm no longer surprised.  It may be more noticeable because the Promise books are featured so prominently right now.

Since I am too lazy to search through Heritage right now, would either of you have a couple exampkes of these recycled Promise books that are being auctioned off on HA on their second go-round.  (thumbsu

With the initial high grades given to the Promise Collection books, have any of therse recycled books gone through the usual standard CPR process prior to being sent back to Heritage for re-auctioning again?  hm

On 1/25/2022 at 2:24 PM, William-James88 said:

So if I sell my Master comics 30, which rarely shows up for auction at that grade (or ever) in 9.0, which I bought for $266 2 years ago, it would sell for over 1 G?
Item #50508461 Front Cover: Captain Marvel Jr. #30 CGC 9.0

This isn't Master Comics 30.  If someone had a Master Comics 30 in 9.0 for sale right now, it would draw very big dollars.  But that's been the case for awhile now.

CMJ 30 is still a cool book.  2c

Edited by Randall Dowling
Late Night Grammar Issues

On 1/25/2022 at 9:51 PM, lou_fine said:

Since I am too lazy to search through Heritage right now, would either of you have a couple exampkes of these recycled Promise books that are being auctioned off on HA on their second go-round.  (thumbsu

With the initial high grades given to the Promise Collection books, have any of therse recycled books gone through the usual standard CPR process prior to being sent back to Heritage for re-auctioning again?  hm

Not a fair amount on HA.  A negligible few.  The below are coming up,  there may be a few more, and a few in past auctions.

Action 107, Action 131, Boy Comics 19, Kid Colt 4, Star Spangled 103

On 1/25/2022 at 10:04 PM, szav said:

There are seven listed on Worldwide Comics, and only three I see on ebay.  They're all fairly obscure, and none classic, all marked up a bit as they'd have to be.  Maybe I'm missing some listed on other sites, but considering 2500 books have sold  on HA already, I'd say there's been surprisingly few coming up for resale as a percentage. 

No surprise here as I remember that it was also Ritter at Worldwide that had more than several books from the big Jon Berk auction that was done through CC back in the early summer of 2017 relisted on his own WW website within mere weeks after the Berk auction had finished.  (thumbsu

The only difference being that virtually every single one of them was now residing in new slabs with higher graded labels on them, with the listed prices all being markedly higher than what they had originally sold for while encased in their lower graded slabs.  Since CGC is supposed to represent impartial and unbiased 3rd party grading, I would assume these newly recycled and relisted Promise Collection books would also now be encased in new slabs with higher graded labels on them.  :devil:

On 1/25/2022 at 10:25 PM, Randall Dowling said:

This isn't Master Comics 30.  If someone had a Master Comics 30 in 9.0 for sale right now, it would draw very big dollars.  But that's been the case for awhile now.

For sure, as any of those early Master Comics with the Raboy covers, especially the classic covers like Master 27 with the V for Victory cover or the Master 33 with the Swastika smashing cover would certainly draw huge dollars considering that you hardly ever see these early Masters come to market very often.  :luhv:  :takeit:

On 1/25/2022 at 7:35 PM, William-James88 said:

Is any other GA collector thinking of selling their books on Heritage now since there are more eyes on their auctions?

I sent 10 books out yesterday to CGC.  Maybe not soon, but I'm preparing for a sell just in case.  Heritage will certainly be an option. 

Here are 2 I just saw that I would personally call ugly for higher grade books. If it weren't for that dust shadow, I would bid over guide for them but with them looking like this, I'd feel better getting lower grade copies that have better eye appeal. We'll see how well they do.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Master Comics #66 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Fawcett Publications, 1946) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Master Comics #71 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Fawcett Publications, 1946) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white pages....

Just to be clear, I don't disagree with the grade, I just don't think these look good.