• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best comics with the worst covers?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

You can define best as most valuable, keys, great story, great interior art, whatever….but those covers have to be fugly!  These covers have to make you think twice about buying this otherwise great book.  What comics fall into this hall of shame?

I don't know if this is 'best' but it certainly wasn't a bad series. I'm talking about JSA All-Stars, written by Matthew Sturgess and art by Freddie Williams III. Now, let's be honest. His art is very... well, it's not exactly pleasing to the eye most of the time. It looks like someone who works with traditional methods and has just had an iPad thrust at them and told to draw on that for the first time in their lives. Here's one of his covers, for issue 5, which kinda illustrates what I mean, but it's the interiors that really show what I mean. Yet sometimes, his style does work. When it shouldn't. Or maybe I've developed comics Stockholm Syndrome. 

Ojbpmu6.jpeg

This one is a variant cover, by artist Ed Piskor, for the wonderful Tom Scioli Transformers Vs GIJOE maxiseries. Such a fun read, it's really like a kid slamming his action figures together. The story is something we've never seen before, and it's probably the most creative thing we've seen out of either franchise. It's just FUN. And then there's this cover. I have some of Ed's other works, but man he was having an off day with this one. It's horrific. 

b6od6Zb.jpeg