• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack Cole Hero Worship Thread.
2 2

184 posts in this topic

One of my favorites. Eisner and Cole art.PoliceComics11CGC8.jpg

adamstrange, Your Police #25 has excellent aesthetics as well as a cover I seldom see.

Is that a pedigree book? How do you think it would grade?

Yeah, I am curious too. Police Comics #25 is not the most common issue, I have seen on the market. Census only reports 4 graded issues, 1 restored, 2 9.0 and 1 6.0.

You should get this one slabbed.

adamstrange, Your Police #25 has excellent aesthetics as well as a cover I seldom see.

It's the Mile High copy and it is quite nice. You can't really tell that from the scan because it was done a few years back and, since, I wanted it for to use as wallpaper on my PC, I trimmed the image

( 893scratchchin-thumb.gif it might be easier next time if I just trim the comic. Anyone got a Jason's number?)

That is a great cover - as much as I like Cole, I find many of his covers, especially on Police, to be somewhat lackluster - #25 is a definite exception!

Yeah, I am curious too. Police Comics #25 is not the most common issue, I have seen on the market. Census only reports 4 graded issues, 1 restored, 2 9.0 and 1 6.0.

One of the 9.0s was sold at Heritage -- it's the Rockford copy.

I have never slabbed a book unless it was candidate for sale. The privilege of ownership is the privilege to hold the book in your hands with your view unencumbered by any plastic barriers.

That is a great cover - as much as I like Cole, I find many of his covers, especially on Police, to be somewhat lackluster - #25 is a definite exception!

I think he must have been getting editorial direction to keep his covers tame, because his stories are anything but. Police 25 and Plas 1 are hands down my favorite Cole covers. Silver Streak 6 is as good except for the big text box that blocks much to much of the image. The original art to that would be cloud9.gif

I have never slabbed a book unless it was candidate for sale. The privilege of ownership is the privilege to hold the book in your hands with your view unencumbered by any plastic barriers.

I slab raws, particular my Quality and Fawcetts because of protection. I want the best protection, I can provide for special issues or pedigrees. I am getting a Mile High Captain Marvel Adventures ready for slabbing.

I slab raws, particular my Quality and Fawcetts because of protection. I want the best protection, I can provide for special issues or pedigrees. I am getting a Mile High Captain Marvel Adventures ready for slabbing.

Best wishes to you, but I am more comfortable with the protection provided by how I bag and board than with the CGC slabs. And that is entirely separate from the risk of loss or damage in the mail, or in handling by someone other than me. Or the fact that slabbing would cost me so much as to put a moratorium on comic purchases for several years.

Ah, so there is the rub. The cost, I can understand that. Personally, I do weigh the cost of slabbing versus regular storage methods. Well, if you ever get bored and want to sell that 25 let me know. I will even keep raw, in respect to your wishes. grin.gif

Start from page 1 and read from to page 5. Jack Cole, the artist responsible for Plastic Man and did some serious good work on Supersnipe.

Supersnipe? What issues have Cole art?

My mistake, I have that series confused with Silver Streak.

Edited by Timulty

Start from page 1 and read from to page 5. Jack Cole, the artist responsible for Plastic Man and did some serious good work on Supersnipe.

Supersnipe? What issues have Cole art?

My mistake, I have that series confused with Silver Streak. Didn't CC Beck do some Supersnipe work?

I don't recall Beck doing anything but Fawcett. He was employed by Fawcett even before the Capt Marvel years.