• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Japanese magazine comic 1989
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Last I heard quite often most of those types of papers/magazines are considered like newspapers and read and casually discarded or left on the bus or in the cafe’s etc. There are avid manga and anime collectors out there who might be drooling over this,  but probably pretty close to worthless? Unless of course first or early appearances of some cosplay characters of which I have very limited education on. Now people with puppet/dummy or marionettes? 
now we’re talking….😊

59EE8D60-974A-4137-869D-CE5F978CDC11.jpeg

Like Cobbeldclam mentioned, most of these magazines are not worth much.  One book that has been gaining traction is 1984 Shonen Jump #51 first appearance of Dragonball ($1300-2500) - there are a bunch on eBay.  Another valuable magazine is the Shonen King 23, first Jiro Kuwata Batman (Bat-mangaa) is about $600-800, this is a bit more rare from June 1966.

(EDIT) it has come to my attention that the Dragonball manga pictured below (not mine) is most likely a fake.

m59111664419_1.jpg

IMG_0417.JPG

Edited by BanjerD

The magazine is called Petit Puchi Comic, and is the April issue. The month is on the upper left of the back cover,

and I think the year at the bottom is 1990. The back strip is called "Nippen no Miko-chan" (I think). Bit hard to read.

Looks like a young girls mag. Are there any native Japanese boardies to elaborate? 

Petit Comic - Wikipedia

On 1/13/2022 at 10:34 PM, BanjerD said:

Like Cobbeldclam mentioned, most of these magazines are not worth much.  One book that has been gaining traction is 1984 Shonen Jump #51 first appearance of Dragonball ($1300-2500) - there are a bunch on eBay.  Another valuable magazine is the Shonen King 23, first Jiro Kuwata Batman (Bat-mangaa) is about $600-800, this is a bit more rare from June 1966.

great info thanks, good tro know in case i come across in the future.

I have 3 different copies, I have no idea if there are any good stories. I guess I'll throw them up on ebay and see what happens.

On 1/13/2022 at 10:34 PM, BanjerD said:

m59111664419_1.jpg

This particular copy is also a fake by the way, so it's picking up a ton of traction. Enough for there to be fakes.

On 2/7/2022 at 7:28 PM, Jshaffer7390 said:

This particular copy is also a fake by the way, so it's picking up a ton of traction. Enough for there to be fakes.

Really? I don't own any of these and wondered about the increase in popularity in these.  How do you know this one is a fake?

On 2/7/2022 at 5:33 AM, BanjerD said:

Really? I don't own any of these and wondered about the increase in popularity in these.  How do you know this one is a fake?

There's a bunch of them listed like this, in this same perfect condition, all centered exactly the same, but in particular the real ones have a whitened out mark on gokus power pole sheath. These are missing it. Also theres a weird like print mark in the top right above the red circle that appears on all of these.

I almost purchased one of these, glad i didn't. I settled for a lesser condition one for now.

Edited by Jshaffer7390

On 2/7/2022 at 6:19 AM, Joe Fox said:

One reason that they appear to be the same could be that they are reposting of the same photos of items on sale on Japanese auction sites. There are a number of Ebay sellers trying to resell books on sale in Japan. An X-Men #2 that I bought in Tokyo was also posted on EBay by two sellers. Since a piece was missing and there is some writing on the cover it was easy to tell it was my copy they were trying to sell.

I had fun asking them questions of how they planned to ship me the item if I bought it.

I've handled a few of these Shonen Jump 51 books over the last year. If they were indeed fake they were extremely good ones. They smelt old to me and were missing the signs that fake books usually have with glue colour and thickness.

I've looked through many books on sale right now or sold on a popular Japanese website. I found the mark you pointed out on some but not others and some that are missing it are low grade which of course doesn't mean they're not fake but it would be an odd thing to do (deliberately tear the spine etc).

There may indeed be fakes of this book around but faking a book well is an expensive thing to do. The books I saw had all the inserts, etc. They would need to sell a lot of these for it to make sense.

I'm not an expert, this was my reference for the glue colour and thinkness.

These aren't ebay resellers. These fake books are each different sets of photos taken and listed on mercari. Like you said, that's one place where the ebay resellers buy the items and flip them on ebay once someone buys them on ebay. I'll also add that these fakes are relatively new. Only starting to be listed in the last month or so. Here's 3 separate listings of fake books.

https://jp.mercari.com/item/m59196802671

https://jp.mercari.com/item/m58395366336

https://jp.mercari.com/item/m52159975328

Edited by Jshaffer7390

273464678_521709255965031_577582246502469833_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=5a057b&_nc_ohc=S0XZApmo0ecAX-XklLu&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.cdninstagram.com&oh=02_ARoXwbARqtLJngZiNMGAKqlYyDgRisqcGV4s-koHKEhhPQ&oe=6207DEF7

To follow up, you can see they all have these in common. Original printings have the error on the power pole sheath shown in one of my previous posts. An then that weird black smudge on all of these in the top right of the book. It was also pointed out to me that the Bulma text printed on her bike is blurry on the fakes.

I've looked everywhere and can't find a real copy that doesn't have the mark on the powerpole sheath.

Edited by Jshaffer7390

I can tell you 100% these are fake. 2 listings have already been taken down because of comments saying they were fake.

Who knows whats all in the books and how accurate they are? Also who knows what kind of paper they are printed on etc?

Theres tons of high def images of this cover and DB Ch.1 out there along with all of the other mangas in this book. And the covers been used in all kinds of media since 1984.

Edited by Jshaffer7390

On 1/14/2022 at 7:49 AM, BanjerD said:

My favorite which was supposedly one of the inspirations for the Mandalorian show.  Lone Wolf and Cub 子連れ狼 which ran in Weekly Action from 1970 to about 1975, totaling more than 8700 pages and went on to become two different TV series and six films in Japan, and also a couple comic runs with First and then Dark Horse Comics in the US.

IMG_0915 2.jpg

This is great! LW&C are some of the best comics ever put to paper, and I also love the flims. Criterion did a really nicely restored release of the six films a few years ago on Blu Ray, I'd highly recommend it to anyone with even a inkling of an interest in samurai pictures. 

On 1/14/2022 at 6:49 AM, BanjerD said:

My favorite which was supposedly one of the inspirations for the Mandalorian show.  Lone Wolf and Cub 子連れ狼 which ran in Weekly Action from 1970 to about 1975, totaling more than 8700 pages and went on to become two different TV series and six films in Japan, and also a couple comic runs with First and then Dark Horse Comics in the US.

IMG_0915 2.jpg

Lone Wolf and Cub is a fantastic series that belongs on lists of the most influential books of its era. These are beautiful copies from the run, too.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:17 AM, Jshaffer7390 said:

Oh really? Did you see the yahoo listing someone made referencing that article?

I was curious whether there are fakes of Shonen Weekly 1999 #43 -- the first Naruto story?

I bought Naruto's first appearance - technically speaking - from 1997 Akamaru Jump but I feel a tad bit confident with that due to its rarity and the fact it has a poster attached inside ~

Edited by Bart Allen