• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ongoing Thread (hopefully) - Classic Movies that should NEVER be 're-imagined' (remaid)
2 2

51 posts in this topic

I'm confused by some of the picks listed here.

Like...Alien.

James Cameron is on the record that Aliens is a reimagining of Alien as a war movie. And it worked.

Ditto - Die Hard was amazing -- but Die Hard: With a Vengeance was too - and it was a reimagining of the original concept (Guy stuck in X vs. terrorists), because it moved McClane outdoors. It was also an adaptation of an unrelated spec -script called Simon Says that they then turned into a Die Hard film.

Even Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - nobody asked for the 10-years-later sequel, Return of the Killer Tomatoes. But it holds up as just as much of a cult classic - and features a hilarious early George Clooney.

Likewise...no one, literally no one, asked for a remake of West Side Story. But Spielberg's version is already widely considered the better movie.

And I stand by Baz Luhrmann's crack- 90s reimagining of Romeo & Juliet over the (arguably classic) 1968 Zeffirelli version.

The point?

If done well, nearly anything can be remade or "reimagined" for the better.

On 1/17/2022 at 5:37 PM, Gatsby77 said:

If done well, nearly anything can be remade or "reimagined" for the better.

It's a fair point. I would say that Man of Steel is Superman re-imagined for the better. I think that the OP is looking for the "not my Superman" list; Movies that you consider classics and would not be happy to see remade differently.

As different as it is from the books in places, and as controversial as this will be, because another adaptation will happen, I'd say Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. 

On 1/19/2022 at 4:46 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

As different as it is from the books in places, and as controversial as this will be, because another adaptation will happen, I'd say Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. 

I read the books first.  

Saw the movies afterwards. 

I thought the movies worked better than the books.  Been saying it for years. 

On 1/20/2022 at 8:05 AM, Buzzetta said:

I read the books first.  

Saw the movies afterwards. 

I thought the movies worked better than the books.  Been saying it for years. 

Likewise. No Tom Bombadil (can't stand him), and I think the ending is stronger without the scouring of the Shire. 

On 1/16/2022 at 9:51 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I think there's some leeway there. If they did a strict adaptation of the book, which was very different to the film, I'd be okay with it. It'd also give us a great chance to see how it'd look with big-budget 2022 shark, instead of all these horrible Asylum etc films, which used to be so bad they're good, and now are just so bad they're just unwatchable. 

They could follow the book, but I just don’t see Hollywood holding back on showing the shark and/or CGI-ing the heck out of it.  Much of the brilliance of the first one is that Spielberg couldn’t show the shark too much because it didn’t function like they wanted it to.  By not showing it, the tension was ratcheted up so much more.  And the few times you actually see it are much more satisfying.

The only other shark movie I can think of that had a similar feel was The Reef.  

On 1/20/2022 at 9:58 AM, chrisco37 said:

They could follow the book, but I just don’t see Hollywood holding back on showing the shark and/or CGI-ing the heck out of it.  Much of the brilliance of the first one is that Spielberg couldn’t show the shark too much because it didn’t function like they wanted it to.  By not showing it, the tension was ratcheted up so much more.  And the few times you actually see it are much more satisfying.

The only other shark movie I can think of that had a similar feel was The Reef.  

I really liked The Reef,and I agree on the similarities. And true, the brilliance of Jaws can never be recaptured, but the question was can you see it being remade, and with the ways things are, I can see a remake being done, just based on the book. It'd never have the magic of the original film, though. 

Nicholas Cage's Wicker Man, already itself a remake. It's just too not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy to even exist, but it does and there need be no other version. It doesn't need to be 'improved' and 'made coherent and watchable'. It's perfect as it is. 

On 1/20/2022 at 7:40 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I have not seen the 3rd one, but I did like the first two. Historically, I have not been a Star Trek fan.

The first two films were solid reenergizers to a franchise that has brought so many positive social and inspirational themes.

The third one was also good. But seemed to focus more on the action and not as focused on the the traditional themes. But I still appreciate it nonetheless.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

Debatable… I enjoyed Aladdin even though I couldn’t get Robin out of my head.  I thought that Jungle Book was sub par but Lion King hit it out of the park. 

On 1/20/2022 at 7:32 PM, Galen130 said:

How about some 80’s movies…

War Games

E.T.

Breakfast Club

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Better Off Dead

Real Genius

umm.. 

Never seen Real Genius or Better off Dead... are they must see or will my life remain unchanged?