• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ongoing Thread (hopefully) - Classic Movies that should NEVER be 're-imagined' (remaid)
2 2

51 posts in this topic

On the back of the ludicrous decision to 're-imagine' the cult classic 'The Raid' - which films are sacred and should never be redone again?

I'll start

Shawshank Redemption

Breakfast Club

Aliens

On 1/15/2022 at 6:39 PM, D84 said:
  1. Escape from New York 
  2. Big Trouble in Little China

When it was announced a few years back these were both going to be rebooted with Dwayne Johnson as the lead I just didn't even know what they were thinking.

Other than $$$$$$$$$ or assuming so.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:39 PM, chrisco37 said:

Jaws

I think there's some leeway there. If they did a strict adaptation of the book, which was very different to the film, I'd be okay with it. It'd also give us a great chance to see how it'd look with big-budget 2022 shark, instead of all these horrible Asylum etc films, which used to be so bad they're good, and now are just so bad they're just unwatchable. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

On 1/16/2022 at 8:51 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I think there's some leeway there. If they did a strict adaptation of the book, which was very different to the film, I'd be okay with it. It'd also give us a great chance to see how it'd look with big-budget 2022 shark, instead of all these horrible Asylum etc films, which used to be so bad they're good, and now are just so bad they're just unwatchable. 

It's fine to do multiple adaptations of a book, especially if they eventually get it right.

I'm still waiting on an accurate Dracula.

Let me just say this: almost any remake, reboot, etc of an already-great movie is a horrible mistake.  It's not unheard of, but they rarely improve on the original.

BUT, we're going through a period when Hollywood writers have almost completely run out of new ideas OR no one's willing to risk real money on new ideas.  So what we get is an avalanche of recycled or repackaged or remade ideas from years past.  (I was just rewatching "The Matrix" the other day, and noted the scene at the Oracle's apartment where the two little girls are keeping cubes in the air - exactly like Wanda in the post-credits scene in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier").  I'm a movie fan, generally, so it's discouraging.

Pan's Labyrinth. It's not an old film, but it could never be improved upon. I could also see someone wanting to do an English language, more English friendly version. 

The_Day_the_Earth_Caught_Fire_(movie_poster).jpg.70290de9fb816ef4af4d9d9dd771c3b1.jpg

Classic British SciFi

There was a truly great period of British Sci-Fi and this was one of them.

There was also a period where Sci-Fi had to be almost tongue in cheek - I loved these

Sadly some cockwomble remade the Quatermass Experiment in 2005 - and was, of course, an epic fail.

q2.jpg.25f9cd7dde7fe626efaaa56696140e65.jpg

Quatermass_and_the_Pit_001.thumb.jpg.f62e90ee463203154ca21ef696a69144.jpg

Then there was Dr Who.. these 2 were the epitome of campy,cheesy UK sci-fi in the 1960's - and an epically great watch, especially if you were baked!

Dr._Who_and_the_Daleks_Poster.jpg.00feacc8a182c04d4121218a76c497b6.jpg

d1.jpg.ef6355109ff9ee5b3cee5e40de80d429.jpg

Great movies, all of them - must be a torrent somewhere - have a watch.

All of them should never (as shown with quatermass) be remade!