• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM JIM #107
3 3

18 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

Was hoping for some insight on how a particular defect impacts grading. Highlighted the right edge chunk issue in a close up pic below. It's only the cover -- inside pages look fine. I'm curious because I have 2 other books (1 silver, 1 modern) with a very similar issue.

Any feedback is appreciated :cheers:

JIM#107a.jpg

JIM#107c.jpg

JIM#107b.jpg

On 1/16/2022 at 9:36 AM, Rich Matist said:

It's only the cover -- inside pages look fine. I'm curious because I have 2 other books (1 silver, 1 modern) with a very similar issue.

Rodents and termites will generally eat thru the newsprint interior.  Silverfish, on the other hand, usually stick to the cover stock.  Don't ask me why though.  (shrug)

2.thumb.jpg.45a65e8382aa6d1574e8a1d863c32f7b.jpg

A specific blemish does not carry fixed point-value deduction.  Rather, any deduction will be case-specific and will depend on the book's condition grade aside from the blemish/defect under consideration.  (thumbsu

On 1/16/2022 at 5:29 PM, zzutak said:

Rodents and termites will generally eat thru the newsprint interior.  Silverfish, on the other hand, usually stick to the cover stock.  Don't ask me why though.  (shrug)

2.thumb.jpg.45a65e8382aa6d1574e8a1d863c32f7b.jpg

A specific blemish does not carry fixed point-value deduction.  Rather, any deduction will be case-specific and will depend on the book's condition grade aside from the blemish/defect under consideration.  (thumbsu

Battle comic look 0.5 🥺😰

Silverfish, on the other hand, usually stick to the cover stock

Very interesting Zzutac ... wouldn't have thought an insect!

A specific blemish does not carry fixed point-value deduction.  Rather, any deduction will be case-specific and will depend on the book's condition grade aside from the blemish/defect under consideration.

But with that type of blemish ... is there a maximum grade one could receive? I guess what I'm trying to equate it to, is like with a 1" tear you couldn't grade 6.0  

This is true. In your case I'd take off a point and give it a 5.5

On 1/16/2022 at 5:18 PM, Rich Matist said:

But with that type of blemish ... is there a maximum grade one could receive?

I'm not sure CGC's grading rubric is precise or "quantitative" enough to answer this (which means that different CGC Graders could award different condition grades to the same copy).

If someone has lots and lots of time, the maximum grade could certainly be estimated by examining CGC-certified pedigrees and other otherwise pristine books that had about the same amount of missing paper (but absolutely no other blemishes or defects).  The Strange Adventures #39 and Mystery Tales #50 each have about the same amount of missing paper, but neither is "otherwise pristine".  The Twin Cities Strange Tales #107 is otherwise pristine, but the missing paper appears to be due to Marvel chipping rather than an insect/rodent chew. 

732877970_SA39-70.thumb.jpg.afc7733097fb766b19fa381d706f4fa3.jpg  1268842586_Mystery50-75.thumb.jpg.f5878c01368ef475ce3993e612841b68.jpg  Chipping-90.thumb.jpg.60ebe9d2234bc1ca29846c1781372ce5.jpg

Thanks for all this feedback. A bit to think about but I get it.

What you said about different graders, different grades, makes perfect sense to the subjective nature of grading, but I do try to believe that the grades are as consistent as is reasonable. Although, on a personal note, I've stopped sending in multiple copies in the same batch :) 

Looks like a chew. Piece that size missing will downgrade an otherwise flawless book into the FN range, IMO.

Thanks for posting.