• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was anyone here collecting Marvel in the 70's or 80's?
7 7

139 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2022 at 10:44 PM, kav said:

only old timers know what it was like to go to corner store and hit the spinner rack.  magical.  the store I bought my first comic had candy in glass case-if ya wanted snickers or red licorice ya pointed at it.

Awesomeness personified. 🥰

I stopped collecting in 1974. I used to stop at the bus station on the third thursday of every month a put five bucks down. I had the opportunity in the late sixties to buy a lot of books in San Diego very cheaply and did. The AF 15 bus story is well circulated. I sold the whole collection to Bob Storms about four years ago now. I did keep all the JIM and Thor as well as a mess of Dr Strange. Thor never went up in value as did the others. I'm sort of stupid when it comes to Thor.   I don't miss it at this point . I can occasionally live vicariously right here

I still remember going to the local corner store in Beachwood NJ, Clancys. Pharmacy on one side and newsstand on the other (then Disbrow's Butchers). When I was very young I remember the comics were not in spinners but on the wall with the magazines, one book per slot. I wasn't tall enough to get to some books and I remember getting a book out and wait, whats that...another older comic stuffed down into the slot! I checked deep down in the pockets after that. Soon enough they went to the spinner not too far from the soda (my target in any store back then), then the newsstand closed and the pharmacy expanded and the rack went over by the cards. That would have been from 1969 or so to 1985. Clancy's is still there but much smaller, a shell of its' glory.

On 1/18/2022 at 5:24 AM, ThothAmon said:

My love for comics really took off in grade school c. 1975 when I discovered Overstreet and Empire Comics on Mt. Hope Ave 4 or 5 miles from my house. This article will give you a good feel for what it was like. The picture is of the owner Jim and the interior of Empire Comics.  He was a comic assassin  

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/recent-updates/building-an-empire-from-flea-market-dealer-to-helping-sell-a-1-million-dollar-comic-four-decades-of-empire-comics/

Personally I wish that I’d taken all my hard earned newspaper carrier earnings and bought old books and not new. 

AA091339-8C35-4D78-8BEF-7CE32FA54C4A.webp

D14B7F08-BE1C-4DF8-92BD-B1183CDCC8BE.jpeg

Great pictures!

On 1/19/2022 at 8:57 AM, Glassman10 said:

Anyone remember buying from Howard Rogofsky? One of very few outlets for back issues of anything in the late sixties. 

Yep, one of my first along with Robert Bell. Howard “tape is not a defect” Rogofsky. Have to admit, the guy was way ahead of his time.

Got my first MAD #1 from Howard. One of the best packages I ever received. 

On 1/19/2022 at 8:57 AM, Glassman10 said:

Anyone remember buying from Howard Rogofsky? One of very few outlets for back issues of anything in the late sixties. 

I posted elsewhere (there was a thread about mail order in the "old days") that I never used these services, despite my early puzzlement on where to get back issues.  At the time I thought things like, "I'm not going to pay $25 for an FF #10!  That's expensive."  It's inexplicable in hindsight but made perfect sense at the time.  

On 1/19/2022 at 12:26 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Is that a light saber or something else?

She's just happy to see you.

tumblr_mvfquat58V1qzoglfo1_500.jpg
Supersnipe was my first comic shop in New York. It was always a bit intimidating going in there. The owner had a Simpsons Comic Book Guy vibe. I think he was more interested in selling to adults, and I'm sure he was annoyed by a bunch of little kids pawing around his shop. There were unorganized stacks of comics all over, and enticing Treasuries, and top dollar books hanging on the walls. I remember digging through un-bagged comics in the ¢10 bins. (I think there was even a ¢1 bin with a bunch of coverless comics...)

If I had a time machine to the 1970's this would be one of the first places I'd visit.

https://www.scottedelman.com/2014/11/15/r-i-p-ed-summer-owner-of-supersnipe-comic-book-emporium/

Edited by adampasz

In the mid-1980's we got Forbidden Planet, which was the precursor to the 90's-style shops like Midtown Comics. It was very well-organized and clean, with tons of copies of everything.

I could only find a video of the downtown location, which was a bit grungy. The mid-town location (227 East 59th Street) was an amazing 2-level store. I would visit every Wednesday with my friends after school, walking past the expensive toys and art books, heading down to the basement level to check the new comics. It seemed like everyone was into comics at this point, especially X-Men. I was buying more Indie stuff, like Nexus, American Flagg, and Cerebus, of which they had plenty.

Edited by adampasz

On 1/19/2022 at 8:55 AM, Bird said:

I still remember going to the local corner store in Beachwood NJ, Clancys. Pharmacy on one side and newsstand on the other (then Disbrow's Butchers). When I was very young I remember the comics were not in spinners but on the wall with the magazines, one book per slot. I wasn't tall enough to get to some books and I remember getting a book out and wait, whats that...another older comic stuffed down into the slot! I checked deep down in the pockets after that. Soon enough they went to the spinner not too far from the soda (my target in any store back then), then the newsstand closed and the pharmacy expanded and the rack went over by the cards. That would have been from 1969 or so to 1985. Clancy's is still there but much smaller, a shell of its' glory.

I grew up in Toms River, never went to Clancy's but Garden State News was great for comics and later Steve's Comic Relief, which is still in TR but moved around a bunch.