• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was anyone here collecting Marvel in the 70's or 80's?
7 7

139 posts in this topic

But anyways, in the 90's it was pretty much all over and nothing really new happened. Even then we had Wizard magazines to give us heads up and all. But in the 70's or even 80's how was collecting?

I don't think comic collecting has really changed that much since I was little, and these shops sprang up. I think the lack of change is one reason I like it. It makes me feel like a kid.

Obviously, back then you had to do the legwork and go to the shops. I suppose the biggest change is that it's much easier to sell your comics now.

For example, in 1984 when the Spiderman alien suit came around or anything different did anyone know about it before or was it a huge "WOAH what's this?!" when you went to the comic stands?

By the time Secret Wars hit, Marvel Comics were HUGE. The black costume was an event, much like events today. It was on the news, and everyone was talking about it, and trying to get a copy of Secret Wars 8. People were heading to the store on the day of release, and if you weren't lucky enough to grab it, you probably had to shell out a few bucks for it.

Growing up in NYC, I was in the epicenter. Maybe it was less hyped up elsewhere.

Edited by adampasz

By the time Secret Wars hit, even as a teenager, I was already subscribing to Comic Buyer's Guide (It was a newspaper back then.) and ordering my new comics via mail through Westfield Comics. They were more expensive than some other services, but I liked them better because of their monthly, legal-size, carbon-copy order form. You could get twice a month shipping I think... but that was too expensive for me.

Half the fun was filling out that order form and deciding how many copies of a certain comic book I could afford that month.  :screwy:

Edited by sckao

On 1/19/2022 at 10:38 AM, sckao said:

By the time Secret Wars hit, even as a teenager, I was already subscribing to Comic Buyer's Guide (It was a newspaper back then.) and ordering my new comics via mail through Westfield Comics. They were more expensive than some other services, but I liked them better because of their monthly, legal-size, carbon-copy order form. You could get twice a month shipping I think... but that was too expensive for me.

Half the fun was filling out that order form and deciding how many copies of a certain comic book I could afford that month.  :screwy:

I did Westfield for several years in college, since it was no longer convenient to go to shops. I agree, filling out the form was half the fun.
Amazing that they are still around.

I used Westfield as well for many years... loved going through the monthly catalog and picking my order and really loved when the box of comics showed up every month!  I rarely missed an issue and could order all the multiples I wanted (which were both issues at my LCS)!

On 1/19/2022 at 9:07 AM, Robot Man said:

Yep, one of my first along with Robert Bell. Howard “tape is not a defect” Rogofsky. Have to admit, the guy was way ahead of his time.

Got my first MAD #1 from Howard. One of the best packages I ever received. 

I remember a giant book store in Los Angeles that we used to go to as teens, was the only back issue shop around. I'm pretty sure it was on Hollywood boulevard,  or maybe even Sunset boulevard.  That place had everything from back issue comics to posters,  regular books. It was huge, at least to a pre-teen me.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:53 AM, adampasz said:

In the mid-1980's we got Forbidden Planet, which was the precursor to the 90's-style shops like Midtown Comics. It was very well-organized and clean, with tons of copies of everything.

I could only find a video of the downtown location, which was a bit grungy. The mid-town location (227 East 59th Street) was an amazing 2-level store. I would visit every Wednesday with my friends after school, walking past the expensive toys and art books, heading down to the basement level to check the new comics. It seemed like everyone was into comics at this point, especially X-Men. I was buying more Indie stuff, like Nexus, American Flagg, and Cerebus, of which they had plenty.

Cool video. Old school tape. Big store with lots of customers. Even had that old squeaky floor vibe. Would love to hit that place.

On 1/19/2022 at 3:28 PM, oakman29 said:

I remember a giant book store in Los Angeles that we used to go to as teens, was the only back issue shop around. I'm pretty sure it was on Hollywood boulevard,  or maybe even Sunset boulevard.  That place had everything from back issue comics to posters,  regular books. It was huge, at least to a pre-teen me.

Collector’s Book store on Hollywood Blvd probably. Cherokee Books was up the street and Bond Street Books around the corner. Between the 3 you could get just about anything if you had the money (which I didn’t…)

On 1/19/2022 at 3:46 PM, Robot Man said:

Collector’s Book store on Hollywood Blvd probably. Cherokee Books was up the street and Bond Street Books around the corner. Between the 3 you could get just about anything if you had the money (which I didn’t…)

I never had money either. I didnt live in Los Angeles,  but would save up my allowance and Dad would take us there.

On 1/19/2022 at 1:08 PM, Eclipse said:

I grew up in Toms River, never went to Clancy's but Garden State News was great for comics and later Steve's Comic Relief, which is still in TR but moved around a bunch.

well there you go! Clancys is on Rt 9 south of Toms River on the border of Beachwood and Pine Beach. It is on the corner catty-corner from the Beachwood Borough Hall. I am 55. I only went to Comic Relief as an adult many years later. I would make wifey and the girls sit in the car while I went in for 5 minutes and did a quick recon every time we went to see family.

There is a new (to me) comic store down there, they are members here perhaps, Conquest Comics I think it is. Rt 9 in Bayville. I have only been there once, but it very may well be the building that housed a variety of gentlemen's clubs back in the day (actually no, no gentlemen ever walked through the doors), I recall one was named Saints and Sinners. This would be the early 80s.

I was collecting any old comics I could find in the 80s. I had no interest in anything new then. I was out searching flea markets and antique and thrift shops for any old pre 70s comic I could find. New stuff in the 80s and especially in the 90s did noting for me. Until I discovered there was more than dc/marvel crud out there being published then I was searching out independent, underground, self published stuff as well as old 40s and 50s comics.

I remember when Mike Diana got busted and convicted for his comics in like 1990 or whenever it was. I was paranoid I would get in trouble since I owned some of his comics lol

Antique store and flea market finds have pretty much dried up now. Not just for comic books, but anything. The days of going out scavenging and coming home with piles of 30s-50s pulps, big little books, magazines, old toys, is pretty much gone now or just really really few and far between and online is no fun at all. Theres no search, no discovery, now digging through dusty musty basements and attics and junk stores finding a treasure I never knew existed. I miss those days. but the internet is great for new comics. We are living in a golden age of comics making the last 20 years. More comics are being made now than every before and its much easier to get stuff thats outside the mainstream marvel/dc crud. That's great.

I started buying comics when I was 5 turning 6 in the early 1970's. When I was 8 years old I got a paper route and I would ride my bike to the convenience store about a mile away to buy comics on Wednesdays ( new comic day ).

Back then I didn't have any guidance whatsoever nor did I know there was any, I merely bought anything that caught my eye. Hulk was a favorite of mine, and when Hulk 180-181 came out after I read 181 I thought that Wolverine was very interesting and went back to the convenience store and bought all the copies the store had and after doing that I had 5 copies. The thinking behind this was that other kids would also be interested in the Wolverine character and then I would have trade value. Kids traded comics at school along with other things like hockey cards.

When X-men 94 came out when I was 10 I saw the Wolverine's head in the top left. Wolverine wasn't in the X-men before, did this mean he would be? I bought the book (the first X-men comic I bought ) and after reading it I went back to the store and bought more copies so I would have copies to trade at school. I traded for older books in titles I liked.

I generally felt if I liked a character or title, another kid would like it as well. Seemed to work.

Honestly even to this day I buy comics that have covers that catch my eye rather than going through previews or other hype publications.

Edited by Artboy99

On 1/20/2022 at 5:12 PM, catman76 said:

I remember when Mike Diana got busted and convicted for his comics in like 1990 or whenever it was. I was paranoid I would get in trouble since I owned some of his comics lol

Funny you mention Diana, I was rereading about him just last night. What are his comics like? And something I wondered, does CGC grade them? 

I think that the memories of the moment, small boy, young man, older soul, are all to be cherished when you recall where you were and how you felt getting a particular comic.  For me, I recall going to what was then called "The little Store" in La Jolla Shores at about age 9 and getting a Flash comic and an Orange Crush and heading down to the beach to read it. I remember the hot sun on my back and me all covered with sticky sand absorbing the summer sun.  That was more cherishing comics than collecting them. 

On 1/20/2022 at 8:24 AM, Glassman10 said:

I think that the memories of the moment, small boy, young man, older soul, are all to be cherished when you recall where you were and how you felt getting a particular comic.  For me, I recall going to what was then called "The little Store" in La Jolla Shores at about age 9 and getting a Flash comic and an Orange Crush and heading down to the beach to read it. I remember the hot sun on my back and me all covered with sticky sand absorbing the summer sun.  That was more cherishing comics than collecting them. 

I cherished my books as well. The first comics I bought were from allowance money given to me by my Father. 25 cents here, 15 cents there, etc. I could buy brand new comics for 15 cents back then, but I found the used book stores a few miles away from me sold books at half cover so the little money I had went further in those places but I could only buy a few and there was no guarantee of the stores had for sale; I bought what I could find. Once I got my paper route at age 8 I then had my own money and began buying even more comics than I used to. By then the cover price was 20 cents, but I had several dollars I could spend. I would bring the comics I purchased to my room in the basement of my parents house and I would read them and also draw from them. It definitely developed my artistic skills that I would turn into a career for a good portion of my adult life. 

Although I used to buy comics in the 70s, I didn’t consider myself a “collector” until the early 80s when I started to seek out specific books. Up to that point, one could always see the house ads to know what to look forward to but finding back issues would be tough unless you had an lcs (which was rare), knew other “collectors” or knew of an upcoming convention. Marvel and DC had their way of pointing out what back issue you needed to read with either an asterisk in a word balloon when a past event was pointed out or in the letters section (Ask the Answer Man). The 80s made it a bit easier when fanzines like Amazing Heroes and Comic Collector started popping up at a more abundant amount of comic shops and magazine stands with more shops offering mail orders in paid ads. 90s changed things when collectors started looking at books as an investment, which imo was neither a good nor bad thing but a product of increased popularity. Just my personal take. 

On 1/20/2022 at 7:24 AM, Glassman10 said:

I remember family road trips in the station wagon. My dad would pull into a 7-11 and we could each buy 3 comics. We read the hell out of them. I had two sisters and a brother. So we had a dozen books that we passed around. My sisters usually bought Archie’s and Harvey. My brother and I bought superhero. Didn’t matter, we read them all. Kept us quiet for a while.