• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have $1,000 to put into a CGC graded bronze...You're a new collector. Where are you putting it knowing what you know now?
4 4

178 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 7:48 PM, Wolverinex said:

Low grade tec 359 or batman 181

I love (and own) both of these also, but I think I'd still opt for the UF4. If you're sticking to $1,000 and not going over, you can get a 9.4 UF4, probably a 4.0 Tec 359, or probably a 4.5 Batman 181. I think the ceiling on UF4 in a 9.4 is much higher than the Bat books if we're talking investment. I'd personally rather have a Tec 359 or Bats 181 in my collection any day of the week, but from a pure investing standpoint I'd still pick the UF4.

I think it's absolutely crazy that a JLA 9 (first origin of the Justice League) sold for $381 this month in an 8.0 for example. I love, love that book - I have a 5.5 that I paid like $100 for. Can you imagine what an equivalent Marvel book would cost, say an Avengers equivalent to that from the silver age? It'd probably be high four to low five figures. I love owning JLA 9, but it wasn't an investment book.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 1/19/2022 at 8:56 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I love (and own) both of these also, but I think I'd still opt for the UF4. If you're sticking to $1,000 and not going over, you can get a 9.4 UF4, probably a 4.0 Tec 359, or probably a 4.5 Batman 181. I think the ceiling on UF4 in a 9.4 is much higher than the Bat books if we're talking investment. I'd personally rather have a Tec 359 or Bats 181 in my collection any day of the week, but from a pure investing standpoint I'd still pick the UF4.

I think it's absolutely crazy that a JLA 9 (first origin of the Justice League) sold for $381 this month in an 8.0 for example. I love, love that book - I have a 5.5 that I paid like $100 for. Can you imagine what an equivalent Marvel book would cost, say an Avengers equivalent to that from the silver age? It'd probably be high four to low five figures. I love owning JLA 9, but it wasn't an investment book.

I don't think the equivalent in marvel would be that crazy. More, sure, but not high four to low five figures. Origins that take place later than the first appearance don't seem to have lots of appeal unless they introduce something new (like detective Comics 33) or solve a mystery (Thor 169). Does JLA 9 show something new like those? I'll be honest that book was not on my radar (unlike JLA 5, which I am looking to buy) 

On 1/19/2022 at 9:14 PM, Morganmi said:

Spec. Spider-man 1.

I never got the appeal of that book. And they made so damn many, there would need to be a constant demand for decades for this to work for what the op is asking.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:42 PM, KCode98 said:

You think the MCU would bring Namor in knowing he would be a direct competitor movie wise to Aquaman? I see from now to 2040 being nothing in the MCU but Young Avengers, X-Men, and FF

As I said, Namor is already beyond hot within the comic collector community. And not in the hype sense (like what you were saying with Nova). He's just a mainstay marvel character whos first appearance in GA and SA are no longer affordable.

And yes, the MCU will bring Namor in. Though he doesn't have to be in his own movie. He could show up in the Avengers or on a show. And he doesn't have to be a direct competitor to Aquaman. We have speedsters in MCU/Fox/DC and they are not in competition with eachother.

We'll see what the future holds, but you wanted a good recomendation for an investment and Submariner 1 is on the cusp of being out of reach for you, so I am giving you a heads up. You would have a nice higher grade silver age key book in your collection. You can't get that with FF or X-Men, but you can get it with him.

I sense you might be looking for a somewhat out of the box pick. Isn’t the Prowler Miles’ uncle? Maybe he has an outsize role one day in the future Miles franchise and he’s on no one’s radar now except ASM completists (a breed that aren’t uncommon, of course). But I think a grand would get you into the low 9’s on ASM 78, which is his first appearance. It’s a long shot, but if you’re looking for a book that might emerge that hasn’t, you need a forgotten and undeveloped character that has potential to be mined.

On the cheap, I like Super Villain Team-Up #5 for the first appearance of the Shroud. Another cool untapped character, with a history with Moon Knight.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:37 PM, William-James88 said:

As I said, Namor is already beyond hot within the comic collector community. And not in the hype sense (like what you were saying with Nova). He's just a mainstay marvel character whos first appearance in GA and SA are no longer affordable.

And yes, the MCU will bring Namor in. Though he doesn't have to be in his own movie. He could show up in the Avengers or on a show. And he doesn't have to be a direct competitor to Aquaman. We have speedsters in MCU/Fox/DC and they are not in competition with eachother.

We'll see what the future holds, but you wanted a good recomendation for an investment and Submariner 1 is on the cusp of being out of reach for you, so I am giving you a heads up. You would have a nice higher grade silver age key book in your collection. You can't get that with FF or X-Men, but you can get it with him.

I think you might have convinced me on this!

Spoiler

On 1/19/2022 at 8:37 PM, William-James88 said:

I don't think the equivalent in marvel would be that crazy. More, sure, but not high four to low five figures. Origins that take place later than the first appearance don't seem to have lots of appeal unless they introduce something new (like detective Comics 33) or solve a mystery (Thor 169). Does JLA 9 show something new like those? I'll be honest that book was not on my radar (unlike JLA 5, which I am looking to buy) 

You're probably right, I might be biased. But it is a great story, and it's the first time that the reasoning why the JLA teamed up is told. And it pre-dates the Avengers, so it's the first telling of how DC's equivalent super-team came together. Maybe I'm overvaluing it personally, but I still think it's undervalued from a relative standpoint. Either way, if you're a JLA fan, it's a fun book to own, and I love the cover (wish Batman was on it, but oh well).

On 1/19/2022 at 9:47 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

You're probably right, I might be biased. But it is a great story, and it's the first time that the reasoning why the JLA teamed up is told. And it pre-dates the Avengers, so it's the first telling of how DC's equivalent super-team came together. Maybe I'm overvaluing it personally, but I still think it's undervalued from a relative standpoint. Either way, if you're a JLA fan, it's a fun book to own, and I love the cover (wish Batman was on it, but oh well).

I wish Batman was on it too dammit! But yeah, definitely adding this with JLA 5 on my list of book to keep an eye out.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:50 PM, SuperBird said:

amusingly, this thread is almost convincing me to quit collecting comics. :)

Well I know you were selling your comics, but I wonder what it is about this thread that is convincing you that it's the right move?

Edited by William-James88

On 1/19/2022 at 9:37 PM, William-James88 said:

I never got the appeal of that book. And they made so damn many, there would need to be a constant demand for decades for this to work for what the op is asking.

Yea I know it was overproduced for that time but it is a Spider-man #1 in a series that went on for decades and is a lot cheaper than a lot of the really overproduced and much more expensive 90's keys in comparison. 

Not really trying to say that any one these is a sure fire bet but really just wanted to show that the OP could get a bunch of decent books with $1k that havent really exploded yet.