• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP!!!
1 1

18 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2022 at 1:45 PM, cd4ever said:

Bat Out of Hell is certainly in the top 5 of records I've listened to most in my life, front to back.  There's not a bad note on it.  RIP my man.   

Correct me if I am wrong but I think every song on that album made the top 40 at some point.    Don't know anyone who could claim that.

Corben also did the cover to Jim Steinman’s ‘Bad for Good’ album…NDQwMS5qcGVn.jpeg

Although Meat Loaf didn’t do the vocals here, it was Steinman, he did re-record some of the songs for Bat Out of Hell 2.

On 1/21/2022 at 2:40 PM, Ken Aldred said:

As I said in the Water Cooler, the album cover which introduced me to the brilliant art of Richard Corben, one of my all-time top ten comic artists, and surely one of the greatest colourists of all time, with his amazingly vibrant airbrush palette.  An artist that otherwise I wouldn’t have discovered for years in the U.K..

Bat_Out_of_Hell.jpg

GREAT WAY TO STAY ON THE COMIC BOOK TOPIC!!!!!  :takeit:

Meatloaf had cool album covers.  But he was a slob and his music was horrible.

One of my memories of the early 80s is me trying to listen to a Meatloaf album in my friend's room.  It was 'Bat Out of Hell' and that cover was awesome. 

I just stared at the cover and waited for the music to be over.  It is tricky to build a rock album with someone singing like he is in a choir.  Freddie Mercury figured it out.  Meatloaf did not.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:52 PM, Turnando said:

Meatloaf had cool album covers.  But he was a slob and his music was horrible.

One of my memories of the early 80s is me trying to listen to a Meatloaf album in my friend's room.  It was 'Bat Out of Hell' and that cover was awesome. 

I just stared at the cover and waited for the music to be over.  It is tricky to build a rock album with someone singing like he is in a choir.  Freddie Mercury figured it out.  Meatloaf did not.

He did have bad albums, but good luck trying to find someone else to agree with you on Bat out of hell being one of them.

Edited by god503

On 1/22/2022 at 1:52 AM, Turnando said:

I've never seen it as a pure rock album anyway.  The title track is a bit of an anomaly due to the overlay of Todd Rundgren's guitar work, and maybe 'All Revved Up With No Place To Go' is a rock arrangement, but, otherwise, it's an album dominated by Jim Steinman's often admittedly overblown retro 50's, ballads and show tunes.  Same thing for 'Bad For Good' and 'Pandora's Box', Steinman's albums which contained songs which were re-recorded by Meat Loaf for 'Bat Out of Hell 2' in the 90s.  Treated it as a change of pace from listening to actual metal or complex progressive material.  Something I have fond memories of from my teens, but, once I started focusing on more extreme rock such as thrash and death metal later in the 80s, I largely moved on from it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

That post's not very comic book in nature. Meat Loaf was also in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and the title character, Rocky Horror, bore an uncanny resemblance to Adam 'Him' Warlock, something that's been frequently commented on.  Classical Adonis figure, or, Richard O'Brien, the creator of the show, as comic book fan?  He was seen in my LCS back in the 80s, so an employee there once told me, but that's trivial evidence.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/21/2022 at 8:40 PM, Ken Aldred said:

As I said in the Water Cooler, the album cover which introduced me to the brilliant art of Richard Corben, one of my all-time top ten comic artists, and surely one of the greatest colourists of all time, with his amazingly vibrant airbrush palette.  An artist that otherwise I wouldn’t have discovered for years in the U.K..

Bat_Out_of_Hell.jpg

Corben art. Legendary

Warning: Too Soon Joke. Bad taste. 

Spoiler

Ask your other half if you can have meatloaf for dinner tonight/as soon as is practical. 

Get your 'yeah sure' answer. 

Reply with 'Thanks. I'll go get the shovel.' 

Leave to your thunderous applause, or have a cushion thrown at you, or get put on silent for a few hours. 

I bought Bat out of Hell unheard, simply because of Meatloafs connection to Rocky Horror, although the Corben cover certainly helped. I'll never forget listening to it the first time. The sheer majesty of the introduction to the title track was incredible. I knew right away this was a keeper, and was my vote for screamer of the week. My two friends that listened with me all loved the title track but weren't so hot on the rest of the album.  It was musical theatre, set to rock.  Air supply on steriods.

On 1/22/2022 at 11:34 AM, shadroch said:

I bought Bat out of Hell unheard, simply because of Meatloafs connection to Rocky Horror, although the Corben cover certainly helped. I'll never forget listening to it the first time. The sheer majesty of the introduction to the title track was incredible. I knew right away this was a keeper, and was my vote for screamer of the week. My two friends that listened with me all loved the title track but weren't so hot on the rest of the album.  It was musical theatre, set to rock.  Air supply on steriods.

That’s a perfect description. Love it or hate it, Shad nailed it for what it is.