• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this ruin a book? Should I press it?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hi all, completely new here.  Looking to submit some of my books from the 90s, and just came across a mind boggling error from the store my mother used to pick then up from.  The store would hold issues and give a 10 % discount.  Apparently they wrote my last name and 10% on tape with a ballpoint pen and now that I'm examining, LEFT AN IMPRESSION ON THE BOOK(s) (two so far)!

Is this something that "pressing" would help with?  Is this something that would take a 9 point something and knock it down to 8 or lower?  Make it not worth grading/encapsulating?

IMG_2330_B.jpg

Edited by BurkeDaniels

Yes, pressing would help,  though those pen indents look deep and I doubt they can be fully removed. 

Yes,  it will bring the grade down. 

My 2 cents,  if you think about comic book collecting at its core, having these books pulled and you enjoying them every week has a value to it, at least to you. 

So if your eager to sell and you have stuff of value,  then pressing and grading may be worth the investment. But if this is for your personal collection, I wouldn't touch them. Just bags, boards and enjoy them. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 1/23/2022 at 7:50 AM, KCOComics said:

Yes, pressing would help,  though those pen indents look deep and I doubt they can be fully removed. 

Yes,  it will bring the grade down. 

My 2 cents,  if you think about comic book collecting at its core, having these books pulled and you enjoying them every week has a value to it, at least to you. 

So if your eager to sell and you have stuff of value,  then pressing and grading may be worth the investment. But if this is for your personal collection, I wouldn't touch them. Just bags, boards and enjoy them. 

Thank you for answering the noob question especially since it's not in the noob topic.  Not only am I new to CGC, but I'm new to message boards :) 

On 1/22/2022 at 3:18 PM, BurkeDaniels said:

Hi all, completely new here.  Looking to submit some of my books from the 90s, and just came across a mind boggling error from the store my mother used to pick then up from.  The store would hold issues and give a 10 % discount.  Apparently they wrote my last name and 10% on tape with a ballpoint pen and now that I'm examining, LEFT AN IMPRESSION ON THE BOOK(s) (two so far)!

Is this something that "pressing" would help with?  Is this something that would take a 9 point something and knock it down to 8 or lower?  Make it not worth grading/encapsulating?

IMG_2330_B.jpg

good news, sending this to a pressing expert can 100% remove it. So if your book has no other flaws, it could still get a 9.8 designation.

Either way, a Batman Adventures Annual 1 is likely not worth grading, unless it's for personal collection reasons. I'd just enjoy it in a nice bag/board.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

IF this book happens to be a newsstand edition (check the barcode upc), AND you think it will grade 9.8 after a press, it is worth pressing and grading from an objective financial perspective.

Whether or not grading/pressing is worth it TO YOU is pretty subjective and depends on a lot things, which aren't always about money.

Good luck.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:22 PM, StephanieSmith44 said:

I have recently bought a book and had a similar problem. Yes, pressing helps, indeed. But I want you to be careful, because you can damage the book if you press it too hard or not in the correct way

There are lots of people pressing books and many are hacks.