• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists Who Don’t Generally Sell Their Work?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

I recently went looking for some artwork by Phil Winslade, and after contacting him, he responded that he doesn’t sell his art. Checking on CAF showed that there is, indeed, very little published work of his out there that has been sold.

As a convenience to the community, I was wondering what other artists, aside from Walt Simonson, also make it a practice not to sell. Even then, some things will occasionally slip out, or the artist does’t follow that rule, like with Simonson’s preliminaries. I also don’t count commissions since their whole purpose is to be sold. So, anyone to add, with qualifications or otherwise?

On 1/30/2022 at 3:32 PM, John E. said:

Kelley Jones

Jeff Smith

Art Spiegelman?

Spiegelman's art has been sold, just nothing from Maus.  Personally I was always shocked he had sold the prelims for Prisoner on the Hell Planet, which is the early Comix that he did about dealing with the death of his mother, and a few pages were included in Maus.

On 1/31/2022 at 7:40 PM, Taylor G said:

P. Craig Russell, although he's been selling some of his Elric art.

Because he kept his art, he has self-published (through his rep Wayne Harold) several artists editions.  Beautiful stuff.

saos05.jpg?format=1500w

He doesn’t have to keep the originals to retain the copyright on them. He can self-publish, lawfully, with copies. The buyer of the page does not acquire the copyright, just the image, and has no legal right to publish and sell them. But, he may just want to keep them because they are his “babies”, a fair reason to do so.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:39 PM, The-Collector said:

Charles Burns won't sell any Black Hole pages but did let the covers go. 

Actually, same with Stan Sakai and Usagi Yojimbo; he keeps all the interiors and sells his covers.

On 1/31/2022 at 7:15 PM, Hekla said:

Actually, same with Stan Sakai and Usagi Yojimbo; he keeps all the interiors and sells his covers.

I was just about to say Stan Sakai. 

And it’s my understanding that Paul Chadwick sells his covers but not his interiors. 

Also in the “I won’t sell art from” category, Derf won’t sell art from his My Friend Dahmer graphic novel.

On 1/31/2022 at 1:54 PM, buttock said:

Seth -- at least Wimbledon Green.  Not sure about the rest.

Mazzucchelli -- Imagine what Year 1 would bring.  

My understanding is Mazzucchelli has not sold most of Born Again, except art from the last two issues, and none of Batman Year One.