• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lamenting what Alan Moore could've done for DC had he not been driven away by their shortsightedness!
3 3

22 posts in this topic

When I think of the state of DC, and the market in general, I think they squandered the opportunity of a lifetime over their ability to take advantage of a creator, the way they've always done!  I always thought he was the best writer ever to grace the medium.  I'm reminded of Rorschach's words, "And all the whores and politician's will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down and whisper 'No." I always thought his outline for Twilight Of The Superheroes was more compelling than the completed Kingdom Come!  Sure, he may be seen as a prima donna, but if there was ever a brilliant creator that should've been kept happy, which they certainly could've done, had they realized he wasn't just another comic book writer, DC might not be circling the drain, as they are today!  I guess it's just a case of decision makers presiding over a managed decline!  

It seems like he was a real fan of the SA and they indeed squandered their opportunity to have him really propel them forward in so many ways. He knew the history and the stories. But why would they assume they couldn't screw him like they did those before him? He just didn't roll over when given the stick. DC may be wonderful with royalties for creators once their work (in any way shape or form apparently) hits the big screen or tv (didn't someone say they got more from a Batmobile design than major Marvel work that went to screen?) but it is my understanding they still play some games when they want to or if they feel a creator needs to be taught a lesson. Try buying a Starman omnibus or trade, you would think that they would stay in print huh? :sumo:.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:35 PM, Bird said:

It seems like he was a real fan of the SA and they indeed squandered their opportunity to have him really propel them forward in so many ways. He knew the history and the stories. But why would they assume they couldn't screw him like they did those before him? He just didn't roll over when given the stick. DC may be wonderful with royalties for creators once their work (in any way shape or form apparently) hits the big screen or tv (didn't someone say they got more from a Batmobile design than major Marvel work that went to screen?) but it is my understanding they still play some games when they want to or if they feel a creator needs to be taught a lesson. Try buying a Starman omnibus or trade, you would think that they would stay in print huh? :sumo:.

Do they have an issue with Roger Stern?!  With respect to Moore and DC, I guess Jim Shooter being ousted from Valiant is another one where we can only imagine what might've been!  The most compelling universe of characters since the Marvel Age, down in flames!  

Not having a series written by Alan Moore and painted by Alex Ross is a sad reality. I know that Ross has not done much interior work, but I think that the combination of those 2 working together would have had unlimited potential.

It's interesting - to me - that an anarchist happens to be one of the best comic book writers ever.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

While we’re wishing for things that will never happen, I wish Moore and Sienkiewicz would finish Big Numbers.

I agree that things like Twilight of the Superheroes showed enormous potential and vision, and I would love to have see; Moore take on more. I was also a huge fan of the ABC line. But I do fear that as the various League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series rolled out, they got progressively more muddled, creaky and self-referential. Some of the Moore work we’ve see over the past few years is a shadow of some his earlier work.

I feel the same way about Grant Morrison, BTW. I was a huge fan, but in recent years, he’s disappeared so far up his own horse that he’s unlikely to ever see daylight again.

I'd love to see Alan Moore's take on the Golden Age Justice Society Of America. Get Alex Ross in to help designs, along with someone else from left field, not sure who, someone who does quirky fashion and modernist fash. Combine and see what we get. I don't know what I'd get, but I'd buy the hell out of it. Dale Eaglesham on art duties to start, perhaps? 

On 2/1/2022 at 9:35 PM, Bird said:

I belong to some music trackers. Upload music. Download music. Some trackers get way too big for their own good. They get full of themselves and start dictating terms. Moderators can be insufferable. They start dumping heavy contributors.

Now, I'm not here to argue the polemics of music trading. What I AM saying is pretty simple: Trackers need contributors more than the contributors need them. Same in the case of Alan Moore, I'd imagine. Let's see: Let's alienate Moore and then keep some mediocre or borderline poor writers around. I doubt Alan Moore loses too much sleep over it. He's probably filled with contempt with some of the "office" people he had to deal with. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them felt intellectually threatened because of his presence.

Alan Moore doesn't need to slum. He's Alan Moore.

On 2/2/2022 at 2:16 PM, Coverless 9.8 said:

To be clear, I'm not talking about present day Alan Moore!  I'm talking about 1987/1988 Alan Moore!  

Agreed. As I have been complaining about reading that God-awful Batman (1989) movie -script, that was after reading The Saga Of The Swamp Thing "American Gothic" and Frank Millers "DKR". Moore sure can write. When he re-explained Swamp Things origin, I actually geeked out when it dawned on me what he was doing. What a neat little bow he tied. Perfection.

Then, a year later, someone pointed out the obvious to me

"I'm Batman!" Really? You ARE? I never would have GUESSED.

We still got it, in a way.

His "Supreme" stories featuring a previously dreadful Image Comics knockoff of Superman are well-regarded, but if they'd been done as actual Superman stories, they'd be toward the top of most lists of the greatest Superman stories ever told. Same goes for Moore's own "Promethea" in place of DC's Wonder Woman. 

On 2/2/2022 at 11:52 PM, jdandns said:

Same goes for Moore's own "Promethea" in place of DC's Wonder Woman. 

Promethea was astounding. I would put it and From Hell as his two greatest achievements.

(your mileage may vary)

On 2/4/2022 at 12:31 AM, Brock said:

Promethea was astounding. I would put it and From Hell as his two greatest achievements.

(your mileage may vary)

From Hell is a highly-regarded Alan Moore story, but I tried reading it while I had chicken pox and I found it absolutely depressing.  Circumstances matter. Never been motivated to retry it since.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Moore was a DC savior when he wrote "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" in Superman 423 and Action 538 in 1986.  But, back then comics had not become a niche product. 

If Moore had been a force at DC into the 90s and beyond, would we have seen a Wonder Woman et al. Lost Girls?  I'd hope not.   

On 2/3/2022 at 8:27 PM, Ken Aldred said:

From Hell is a highly-regarded Alan Moore story, but I tried reading it while I had chicken pox and I found it absolutely depressing.  Circumstances matter. Never been motivated to retry it since.

I blame the chicken pox!  :wink:  Seriously though, you couldn't have expected Moore's take on the Ripper murders be the feel good Story Of The Year!  :wink:

Edited by Coverless 9.8

It's likely he'd have broken with them entirely at some point no matter how he was treated, but the mind boggles at what he might have contributed before that happened.  It's just appalling that following what many believe was the finest work ever produced in the medium, and glowing mainstream recognition, they chose business as cruel and as usual!  

Edited by Coverless 9.8

Watchmen’s a cash cow that DC has kept penned in for milking ever since Moore created it, by keeping the work constantly in print. No point expecting selfless consideration from a corporate entity: that would be surprising.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Problem is, exploiting a work that is immensely popular and clearly lucrative is a better prospect to a stone cold, soulless corporation than gambling on future product which may or may not end up just as popular and lucrative. Not everything Moore created reached the height achieved by Watchmen.  So, you can understand, if not agree, with  DC’s immediate rather than long-term attitude towards their product creator.

Edited by Ken Aldred