• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX on notating pressing on the label.....

210 posts in this topic

And for the record, I'm not a PGA/PGX/PGY/PGZ or CGC basher/advisary......I just want this hobby to be the strongest it can be. I'm all for competition: levels the playing field & benifits the end user: The collector/buyer. thumbsup2.gif
FUELMAN....das ist sehr goot! And I'll be working on that top secret thingy that you asked me about. gossip.gif

gossip.gif BTW: Mark has a lot of $$$ tied up in his CGC books. It would make no sense for him to just "attack" CGC as you are suggesting. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Don't fool yourselves...Mark's collection value can tank to zero tomorrow and the man would not be hurting. All he has to do is win another lawsuit against the gov't and he's ready to fund another collection. I'm not buying this "he'd be hurt just like the rest of us" bit...

all he's done is attack CGc's policies which don't suit him.

Darth, you are REALLY full of it! makepoint.gif

Get a grip, pal! Read your own posts sometime! foreheadslap.gif

Dude, I'm just trying to fit in with the rest of you nuts in here foreheadslap.gif

The pressing is a step in the right direction. But as of now I don't know if pressing is a real problem with PGX considering CGC tends to get far more of the higher dollar books. Not to mention the problem with detection.

I think if I was PGX I would,

First hire a known name for restoration detection.

Second, give a list of all PGX books submitted by Elliot/Leder. Or at least track some of these books down to get them regraded. As some of us know, many restored books submitted by T Leder were missed by PGX.

Third , come clean about the doctored scan that was given in regards to missing the trimmed ASM book.

Forth, clean up their act on pg quality. There are some really tan PGX books that aren't noted "tan" on the label

If PGX followed these steps I believe they would be TRUE competition against CGC and the hobby would be a better place for it.

Above all I am most disappointed in their handling of restoration detection.

They REALLY need to address this, even more so than CGC. They have issues with questionable sellers T. Leder/R. Elliot/M. Adams/

Known on e-bay as ponytailblunder/ma4pres/etc.

Feel free to pass this on to Mr. Patterson.

How about we all start with what's happening now. Let's forget about the 1st six months we came to the market and all the rumors about this or that. I guarantee no one has posted the truth. Believe what you want, we did make a few mistakes, one being trying to respond improperly to posts (should have taken a hint from CGC on that one). Despite this, I know everything that was posted was far blown up from what the truth is. We stand behind every book we have graded, including every book graded for leder or anyone else that just happens to live in Oregon.

I haven't seen or heard of a single book we have missed restoration on in almost two years. Well, except for one book where someone intentionally replaced a staple needlessly for the sole purpose to try and sneak it past us. I have no proof of this but I do trust the source.

Let me touch on the 'They really do need a well known restoration expert on their payroll' comment. While this sounds good this is not necessarily true. Our restoration person spotted slight color touch on a customers book minutes after looking at the book, we recommended the customer have the color touch removed by a restoration professional (as this is something we do not do), it was sent to one of the top professionals in the industry, through the third-party not us, and it took them several days and some assistance just to locate the color touch.

I say this to make a point, doesn't it make sense that someone who has spent 15+ years studing restoration and the art of spotting other people's restoration, but choose not to pursue a career as a restoration professional, likely be better at spotting restoration rather than someone who performs restoration for a living and has no need to train themselves to spot other people's restoration?

And since our detection skills are being called into question I will throw this out there also, and you can take it as you will. At the time I did not think to document anything, but our restoration person was pointing out JE books to us as far back as 18 months ago and had repeately told us that this would come to light at some point. I don't say this to stir up anything, simply to clarify that we have professional detection skills working here at PGX.

First starting with restoration detection. Honestly I've never heard of Donovan Elliot. We know very little about the guy. Some openess and more transparency would help the company. It also doesn't help that he has the same last name as Ryan Elliot. If I had my way I would hire someone who is more well known.

The second and third points I had really weren't covered that well. Not sure if that was an admission of guilt or not regarding the doctored scan. But I REALLY think you should track down some books, clean up your act, and continue banning sellers. You banned T Leder. Good Job. Now ban ma4pres. Who also uses the names Ryan/Robin Elliot & Mike Adams.

The forth point you covered well. You addressed the problem quickly and admitted the books were overgraded. thumbsup2.gif

I would also like to say two good things. I can agree with your website. Your holder is the best in the business. thumbsup2.gif Also I haven't heard of many problems in the last year or so regarding missed restoration

Personally, I believe CGC should document whatever work PCS does on the label, and if they know a book is pressed b/c they did it themselves, it makes the "detectability" angle moot. Who needs to guess if you did it yourself? confused-smiley-013.gif

The real point of including that information in this thread is to shed a little light on PGX's proposed move, which brings us back to the question of whether or not a book can be determined, without doubt, to have been pressed without a priori knowledge. Doesn't look like it can, and I believe Susan Cicconi has opined that she agrees so it's not just Chris's 20+ years and 10^6 book experience that holds that view... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If I remember correctly, these are supposed to be two different companies. So if you had a book pressed by PCS, it goes back to you and not down the hall to CGC. So if ten years later you submit it to CGC how are they going to know if you had this pressed at PCS?

gossip.gif BTW: Mark has a lot of $$$ tied up in his CGC books. It would make no sense for him to just "attack" CGC as you are suggesting. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Don't fool yourselves...Mark's collection value can tank to zero tomorrow and the man would not be hurting. All he has to do is win another lawsuit against the gov't and he's ready to fund another collection. I'm not buying this "he'd be hurt just like the rest of us" bit...

all he's done is attack CGc's policies which don't suit him.

Darth, you are REALLY full of it! makepoint.gif

Get a grip, pal! Read your own posts sometime! foreheadslap.gif

Dude, I'm just trying to fit in with the rest of you nuts in here foreheadslap.gif

You're not doing a very good job! makepoint.gif

sumo.gif

And for the record, I'm not a PGA/PGX/PGY/PGZ or CGC basher/advisary......I just want this hobby to be the strongest it can be. I'm all for competition: levels the playing field & benifits the end user: The collector/buyer. thumbsup2.gif
FUELMAN....das ist sehr goot! And I'll be working on that top secret thingy that you asked me about. gossip.gif

Sehr gooht! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Wir sollen über kommt der CGC appoligists!

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif Now he's misspelling in two languages.

thumbsup2.gif

Ex-nay on the ispelling-May makepoint.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gifsumo.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Ex-nay on the ispelling-May makepoint.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gifsumo.gif

Sie bedeuten die Fehlbuchstabierung?

thumbsup2.gif

Heute: Komiker Bucht! Morgen: Die Welt! hail.gif

P.S. You have absolutely no clue, as you probably realize, and I've found VERY BASIC Paper and Book Presses (the kind a newbie would get) and even they have a 1,000-2,000 lbs or higher pressure rating. Not everyone pressing comics uses a dry mount press, or didn't you know that?

JC is right here.

JC is not right. His original point was that "pressed books are subjected to thousands of pounds of pressure per square inch." This is utter BS.

While it's true that the rare insufficiently_thoughtful_person might stick a book in a hand-screw vise book press or even one of those industrial-strength hydraulic presses, this is not how it is done when it is done by a professional. And THIS is the kind of pressing that people want to know how to detect -- the kind that turns a 9.2 into a 9.6 -- not the kind that turns a 9.2 into a 3.5 with two popped staples. No one cares if you can detect a press job on a book that has been mashed into pulp.

Sounds like a few people here don't mind not knowing whether they are getting a pressed book or not? Well fine, but I and many others do. You would want to know if your Hulk 181 had it's staples replaced, or if it was trimmed, whta's wrong with us knowing whether it is pressed or not? Or is would that hurt the A list too much, wouldn't get those multiples that they have been getting, ahhh what a shame. The CGG books that were regraded by CGC and found to be restored were graded more harshly by CGG, and does not prove anything, CGC missed restored books recently too! At the end of the day, is it not what we the customers want that counts? If a book is pressd I want to know, so that I can avoid it, I don't want to buy a comic that has been pressed and if CGC knows it's been pressed the seller knows it's been pressed, why should the buyer not know? DECEPTION.

CGG may not have all the backing that CGC has, but at least they have tried to meet our demands by declaring a book as pressed. If CGC were to do this, would you not be glad?

P.S. You have absolutely no clue, as you probably realize, and I've found VERY BASIC Paper and Book Presses (the kind a newbie would get) and even they have a 1,000-2,000 lbs or higher pressure rating. Not everyone pressing comics uses a dry mount press, or didn't you know that?

JC is right here.

JC is not right. His original point was that "pressed books are subjected to thousands of pounds of pressure per square inch." This is utter BS.

While it's true that the rare insufficiently_thoughtful_person might stick a book in a hand-screw vise book press or even one of those industrial-strength hydraulic presses, this is not how it is done when it is done by a professional. And THIS is the kind of pressing that people want to know how to detect -- the kind that turns a 9.2 into a 9.6 -- not the kind that turns a 9.2 into a 3.5 with two popped staples. No one cares if you can detect a press job on a book that has been mashed into pulp.

I KNEW you would jump at that! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif And stop telling me what I already said in the rest of the post! tongue.gif