• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX on notating pressing on the label.....

210 posts in this topic

Now that said I think it would be best for the hobby if PGX was more credible.

The collector would benefit from the competition.

Patterson has responded and I'm glad he dealt with some of the problem issues I mentioned. When I have more time tonight I'll post something more.

You bring up the point "one would think by announcing such a policy those who press books will not submit them for grading." You're absolutely right, and this idea supports my opinion. PGX will also lose the business of anyone who presses books.

Exactly the point. And this is why CGC has never been willing to make the move. Not because it necessarily doesn't view pressing as restoration, which it might not, but b/c then it couldn't partner up with PCS. Why is it so bad for PGX to make such a bold business move and push away pressing but ok for CGC/PCS to do the opposite?

Mark,

Again, I'm not saying it's "bad". I'm saying it's not good for their business. They're alienating anyone who presses books, as well as anyone who suspects they may have pressed books in their collection. And that covers just about everybody.

I guess the difference between our two points of view is that I don't see it as a negative to "alienate" anyone who presses books. I view that as a positive. Again, we come full circle to the issue of whether there is, or should be, a stigma attached to pressed comics. Those who argue pressing is not restoration and completely ok should have no problem with everyone knowing that the book has been pressed, whether that be by label designation or through voluntary disclosure by a seller.

However, we both know that hypocrisy surrounds this issue. The majority of those who support pressing would likely never want their books denoted as pressed b/c they know their view is not necessarily supported by many. How many is "many" is still open to question.

Anyone who switches to PGX because they think that books that come back as unpressed are in the free and clear are in for a big surprise. It only means PGX wasn't 100% sure. Lots of pressed books are going to slip through. In my opinion, a much higher % will slip through than will get caught.

This announcement will hopefully just be one step in PGX advancing its qualifications. Is it enough by itself. No. But it is a step forward.

On a final note, do I consider pressing restoration? No. But that is just my opinion,

that is from Friesens well thought out explanation of CGCs and his stance of pressing. Im reading along, and agreeing with him. And it all sounds good and believablke and correct. But, when I get to this part near the end, I just have to wonder, If CGCs retso expert happened to be one of the many who DO consider pressing as restoration, would we and CGC be in a different place right now? Sort of an Earth 2 world where the "old rules' still applied across the board?

Was it just our 'bad luck' that CGC hired a pro-pressing resto expert who could not and would not fight against CGCs PCS move from his heart and experience? Or, perhaps, was it by design? (sorry, had to throw that last bit in... somebody would have brought it up anyway.)

I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head here. Steve Borock does not feel pressing is restoration. Perhaps he has felt this way his entire collecting/dealing life. That's fine. Same with Friesen.

I doubt very much that if the President of CGC, and its former chief restoration detector, felt that pressing was restoration, the issue of PCS would have ever existed.

I guess the difference between our two points of view is that I don't see it as a negative to "alienate" anyone who presses books. I view that as a positive.

But I'm not saying that they're only alienating people who press books. They're also alienating everyone who's afraid they might unknowingly have a pressed book in their collection, which is just about everyone. PGX is alienating a large % of their potential client base. From a business perspective, that isn't very smart.

I understand you think this is a step forward, but with no one on staff who has any experience spotting pressed books, and therefore no reason to think that a significant number will be caught, I just can't agree.

P.S. You have absolutely no clue, as you probably realize, and I've found VERY BASIC Paper and Book Presses (the kind a newbie would get) and even they have a 1,000-2,000 lbs or higher pressure rating. Not everyone pressing comics uses a dry mount press, or didn't you know that?

JC is right here. I am sure there are insanos out there with BOOK presses applying a lot of pressure to their comics. I can feel the staples popping through the paper as I type! And Chris Friesen is correct. Pressure only books with no relaxation of the paper will spring back rather quickly, especially if any extra humidity hits the book.

The thing is, JC, except for some very specialized uses of a classic Three Stooges put-Curley's-head-under-a-press type book press, the pro restorers WILL use a dry mount press. And when a pro uses these it is with gradual pressure over time, and designed to not press out wrinkles but to maintain the dimensional stability of the paper after certain types of treatment.

However, I say let more and more amateurs go for the super-pressure pressing, because THOSE are the ones that can be most easily detected. The other type that can be most easily detected are dry mount pressing with too high a temperature, too long an exposure to the platen or both.

I was looking at a Phantom Lady at San Diego Con. Overall it was a nice book as far as QP goes. Flat and nicely centered. Unfortunately the dover had an unnatural sheen to it (not an attemnpt to "regloss".) Almost plastic in appearance. And it was liberally filled with cover creases that were absolutely flat. It was probably the most obviously presed book I have ever seen, and I almost bought it to use as an example, but decided the $270 would be better spent on precodes.

What would be the easieist pressing to detect?

1) Spine roll removal. A classic spine roll that is bad enough to seek pressing will usually display vertical striation along the rolled area. Those striations are caused by the paper basically being "mushed" as the book is rolled. Such striations are still going to be detectable, even though they may be considerably diminisahed. One can often actually measure the depth of the spine roll that once existed from these striations.

2) An over-humidified book where the cover gloss is unnaturally dulled. Harder to detect unless you spend a lot of time detecting, but I have noted this reaction often when I was experiemnting with the limen of humidity/heat/pressure in the good old resto experimenting days.

3) As I said in the Phantom Lady example, that plastic look and creases that should have some dimension to them that lay perfectly flat, as if the crease were nothing more than a hologram you cannot feel.

Pressing that will probably be impossible to detect? Waves and bends over a portion of the book that uses localized techniques. There are no real creases to be unnaturally flattened. With care in humidification and temperature and the right hand tools, such waves and bends will indeed magically disappear and the book will look original.

I do not envy somneone trying to detect such wave/bend pressing when done right.

::type edit::

I guess the difference between our two points of view is that I don't see it as a negative to "alienate" anyone who presses books. I view that as a positive.

But I'm not saying that they're only alienating people who press books. They're also alienating everyone who's afraid they might unknowingly have a pressed book in their collection, which is just about everyone. PGX is alienating a large % of their potential client base. From a business perspective, that isn't very smart.

I don't believe the risk is as great as you think, but this is certainly subject to legitimate differing interpretations.

I understand you think this is a step forward, but with no one on staff who has any experience spotting pressed books, and therefore no reason to think that a significant number will be caught, I just can't agree.

Hopefully the staff question will resolve itself by one manner or another.

classic opportunism by the competition. Folks were saying CGc was getting lax with their grading, ie giving gift grades to weaker books - CGG comes back with uber strict grading on the moderns, making them look like tougher graders and look like they are protecting the best interest of buyers. Now CGC "appears" to not have their resto detection in check and opportunists with anti pressing agendas jump all over CGC's stated policy, so what does PGX do? Appear to act in the best interest of the buyers again to secure/steal as much business as possible. Predictable smirk.gif and transparent

I agree that that's what they're doing, but I don't think it will work. They're shooting themselves in the foot. Any business they have from dealers will go away. Some collectors will want to know if their books are pressed, but the vast majority will not want to fork over their hard-earned dough so PGX can possibly label them pressed.

I say good for them. I would be inclined now to provide books to PGX when I have never considered it before, and I would encourage people to do so as well. They should distinguish themselves from CGC. Competition in this marketplace is only good for the marketplace. You guys should be applauding PGX for this stance instead of appearing to be so far up CGC's rear that I see your smiling faces through its bellybutton.

As Daniel said in his post, this was a topic specifically discussed in SD months ago. I had a specific conversation with him about taking this very position in order to widen the gap between the two companies so this is nothing surprising at all. Why do you guys have to be so negative about this? I find it amazing sometimes how defensive you pro-pressing people are.

Why is it fine for CGC to take a pro-pressing position as part of its business plan by something suspicious or negative for PGX to take the opposite position?

Mark, I feel this way because I can see thru the smokescreen, even with my head up CGC's rear tongue.gif

Consider this, Mark. I am a small time (and I mean really smalltime) ebay seller but I've always, since I started selling disclosed anything physically that would or could be considered negative about the books I sell. I never had some bragadocious guarantee or anitpress zone logo bs in my auction descriptions. No need for me to, since I conduct business cleanly anyway. However, for me to stand up now and declare it at the top of my posts...well, it's just monkey see monkey do and my doing so would just be to secure that folks concerned with these shennanigans kept coming back to my auctions. My customers that know me know it would be me just capitulating to market peer pressure and lose respect for me. Those that don't know me will think it's all a ruse anyway so I don't lose my market share to others who have stood up and shouted their supposed disgust with this non-disclosure from their soapboxes. I take all of these admissions and guarantees coming out lately to be nothing more than a band-aid to help plug the 40 foot crack in the comic book customer confidence dam. It's a pathetic attempt at a quick fix in order to soak up the fanboys and sheep's money who fell for their admissions and guarantees before the impending deluge wipes out the hobby...

classic opportunism by the competition. Folks were saying CGc was getting lax with their grading, ie giving gift grades to weaker books - CGG comes back with uber strict grading on the moderns, making them look like tougher graders and look like they are protecting the best interest of buyers. Now CGC "appears" to not have their resto detection in check and opportunists with anti pressing agendas jump all over CGC's stated policy, so what does PGX do? Appear to act in the best interest of the buyers again to secure/steal as much business as possible. Predictable smirk.gif and transparent

I agree that that's what they're doing, but I don't think it will work. They're shooting themselves in the foot. Any business they have from dealers will go away. Some collectors will want to know if their books are pressed, but the vast majority will not want to fork over their hard-earned dough so PGX can possibly label them pressed.

I say good for them. I would be inclined now to provide books to PGX when I have never considered it before, and I would encourage people to do so as well. They should distinguish themselves from CGC. Competition in this marketplace is only good for the marketplace. You guys should be applauding PGX for this stance instead of appearing to be so far up CGC's rear that I see your smiling faces through its bellybutton.

As Daniel said in his post, this was a topic specifically discussed in SD months ago. I had a specific conversation with him about taking this very position in order to widen the gap between the two companies so this is nothing surprising at all. Why do you guys have to be so negative about this? I find it amazing sometimes how defensive you pro-pressing people are.

Why is it fine for CGC to take a pro-pressing position as part of its business plan by something suspicious or negative for PGX to take the opposite position?

Mark,

Before you accuse me of being "so far up CGC's rear", "defensive", and "so negative about this", I suggest you read my post again. I offered no opinion on whether this is a good thing or a bad thing for the comics community at large. I only commented on it from a business perspective. It's my opinion that they will lose more customers than they will gain by this move.

Frankly, I think the "so far up CGC's rear comment" was way out of line. My opinions are just that, MY opinions. I'm not towing any CGC line. If I were the CGC apologist you make me out to be, I would agree with everything the company is doing, and I don't.

Be fair, Mark. Not everyone that disagrees with you is "so far up CGC's rear". That's a VERY cheap shot. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I think he meant me acclaim.gif Actually Mark always hopes the best for CGC but I don't think any of his posts have really shown anything positive about CGc 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fine, if I stepped over the line by including you too far into Darth's camp, my apologies.

I take a day off to do some fundraising for my kid's autism walk and I come back to this... well... acclaim.gif I've got my own camp and am pitching a tent right now tongue.gifcrazy.gif Camp crystal lake... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I do disagree with your opinion on the business angle. I think this is a brilliant move by PGX and frankly I hope it causes CGC to re-think its own position.

I didn't figure you for the crack smoking type Mark...since when has anything that CGG/PGG/PGX come up with ever even been considered by CGC as something to incorporate into their business model? Why should CGC re-think a position that they've held from day one and we've supported by getting 600K worth of slabs graded and flipped around back and forth in this incestuous hobby?

At some point in time competition will emerge, whether it is PGX or some other company, and PGX is taking the right steps towards that way.

FEel free to back this company at your reputation's peril...

It has a lot more work ahead of it and Rip has suggested some very good recommendations.

That "work", my friend, is something they will never live down. They'd be best serve by disappearing off the map for a while and coming back as CGG's 5th incarnation 10 years down the road when no one aorund here knows about that hincky scan they posted or when Terence Leder retires... maybe they should also move the f#$k out of Eugene and Oregon totally since the majority of folks that run into those two words associated with comics usually end up with only scam stories to post about.

But you seem to be presuming that they will be submitting pressed books, or that PGX will start labelling books that are not pressed as pressed.

I'm counting the seconds cloud9.gif

First, one would think by announcing such a policy those who press books will not submit them for grading.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif If I were a presser, out of sheer arrogance and rightful belief in PGX's proven incompetence as a grading company, I would submit my pressed books to them to prove a point: that I could sneak resto'd and pressed books alike by them AND get them to mismark my unpressed books as pressed.

Secondly, I would hope that by saying they have to be 100% positive the book has been pressed there will be few, if any, errors.

I was also hoping to win last wed's (10/19/2005) Powerball...

Mark,

Before you accuse me of being "so far up CGC's rear", "defensive", and "so negative about this", I suggest you read my post again. I offered no opinion on whether this is a good thing or a bad thing for the comics community at large. I only commented on it from a business perspective. It's my opinion that they will lose more customers than they will gain by this move.

Frankly, I think the "so far up CGC's rear comment" was way out of line. My opinions are just that, MY opinions. I'm not towing any CGC line. If I were the CGC apologist you make me out to be, I would agree with everything the company is doing, and I don't.

Be fair, Mark. Not everyone that disagrees with you is "so far up CGC's rear". That's a VERY cheap shot. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I think he meant me acclaim.gif Actually Mark always hopes the best for CGC but I don't think any of his posts have really shown anything positive about CGc 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I beg to differ here: Mark's intent, to me anyway, is for CGC to lead the hobby/market, in a clear direction that will benifit ALL involved. He's got no hidden agenda! makepoint.gif

At this point, with all the "pressing is not restoration" & new label coming out, it just clearly (at least to me) spells more submissions to CGC......the end loser will be the buyer/collector. Just MHO. sumo.gif

gossip.gif BTW: Mark has a lot of $$$ tied up in his CGC books. It would make no sense for him to just "attack" CGC as you are suggesting. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Mark,

I beg to differ here: Mark's intent, to me anyway, is for CGC to lead the hobby/market, in a clear direction that will benifit ALL involved. He's got no hidden agenda! makepoint.gif

At this point, with all the "pressing is not restoration" & new label coming out, it just clearly (at least to me) spells more submissions to CGC......the end loser will be the buyer/collector. Just MHO. sumo.gif

gossip.gif BTW: Mark has a lot of $$$ tied up in his CGC books. It would make no sense for him to just "attack" CGC as you are suggesting. 893naughty-thumb.gif

That's totally right..why all the nastiness?...and why all the anti-PGX vitriol.

Let them find their feet, they'll get there in the end, and at least 2 competant Professional Grading companies in the marketplace will be beneficial for the Collector..you and me...or am I talking bollocks? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mark,

That's totally right..why all the nastiness?...and why all the anti-PGX vitriol.

Let them find their feet, they'll get there in the end, and at least 2 competant Professional Grading companies in the marketplace will be beneficial for the Collector..you and me...or am I talking bollocks? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Competition is good: makes the players straighten up and fly right! thumbsup2.gif

Don't fool yourselves...Mark's collection value can tank to zero tomorrow and the man would not be hurting. All he has to do is win another lawsuit against the gov't and he's ready to fund another collection. I'm not buying this "he'd be hurt just like the rest of us" bit...

all he's done is attack CGc's policies which don't suit him.

Mark,

Competition is good: makes the players straighten up and fly right! thumbsup2.gif

Here, here! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Don't fool yourselves...Mark's collection value can tank to zero tomorrow and the man would not be hurting. All he has to do is win another lawsuit against the gov't and he's ready to fund another collection. I'm not buying this "he'd be hurt just like the rest of us" bit...

all he's done is attack CGc's policies which don't suit him.

Darth, you are REALLY full of it! makepoint.gif

Get a grip, pal! Read your own posts sometime! foreheadslap.gif

And for the record, I'm not a PGA/PGX/PGY/PGZ or CGC basher/advisary......I just want this hobby to be the strongest it can be. I'm all for competition: levels the playing field & benifits the end user: The collector/buyer. thumbsup2.gif

Who's a expert then? The graders at CGC who missed trim jobs, re-stapple jobs and whatever else recently? Goldust40 could grade just as good, if not better than CGC experts, 27_laughing.gif, as they are called. Who is to say who is a expert or not?

I trust goldust's grading; however, he still sells books so there will exist that hint of bias no matter what. Maybe if Andy gave up selling books and graded 100% of the time, he'd be an ideal grader...