• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX on notating pressing on the label.....

210 posts in this topic

Again, you're listing tell-tale signs of amateur pressing, not pro pressing.

Not always, and it can come down to the book in question. I bet if a capable amateur pressed out a miniscule non-color breaking corner crease, no one would be the wiser.

Then again, if a pro pressed out a big color-breaking sub crease, it would be plainly apparent what happened to the book.

Which is a step in the right direction, the problem being that pressing cannot be detected 100%.
Neither can trimming.

Down goes Frazer! 893whatthe.gif

check the inside of the staples, see if they match an older comic with the same sort of age, no extra hard indentation on the inside.

Herc I noticed you mentioned little indentations on pages from staples. Those are caused by oxidation and are a natural occurrence in comics and takes years to occur. If the indentation does not match the position of the staple...it's a sign the staples might of been replaced.

That's my lesson for the day. smile.gif

What are you talking about? You stated that it CANNOT be detected. That's pretty absolute, then suddenly, you're bringing in 80% figures.

Do you believe that ALL forms of current CGC resto can be detected with 80% accuracy?

I said I believe pressing can't be detected. The assumption comes from my readings. I have no first hand knowledge. If enough "pros" prove that pressing can indeed be detected then I will go with the flow.

My point simply was that the debate in this thread lies with the question of whether pressing can be detected or not. If we can't determine whether a book has been pressed with any degree of accuracy then where are we?

If I confused you then I apologize. My 460 SAT score and my poor writing skills are a handicap for me. Although I did read comics at one time and that did help.

Now the plots are too complex and I'm working on restoration detection.

Hi Newt, I am pleased you have learned as much as you have, Hopefully you will do very well out of it. Were you any good to begin with? Maybe my grammar is not that good, I didn't have the opportunity of going to a good school. But I get along ok, thx.

check the inside of the staples, see if they match an older comic with the same sort of age, no extra hard indentation on the inside.

Herc I noticed you mentioned little indentations on pages from staples. Those are caused by oxidation and are a natural occurrence in comics and takes years to occur. If the indentation does not match the position of the staple...it's a sign the staples might of been replaced.

That's my lesson for the day. smile.gif

No comment.

If you're now involved in the RESTO check at CGC, I think we have every right to criticize those abilities. Afterall....you guys did FAIL to detect the following:

Cleaned Staples

Staple Replacement

Trimming

Just playing devil's advocate yeahok.gif

As a former traniee and current Pregrader at CGC it is company policy to train employees to catch restoration as well as teach them to grade comics correctly.

Would you rather your comic are only seen by one person.

Each comic is seen by at least 3 people.

If the pregrader misses color touch or another form of restoration the changes are the grader or finaliser will catch it a very high percentage of the time.

Please do not attack me. You guys are currious about the inner workings of CGC and I am an employee of the company. Wouldn't you like to here the limited amount of things in my low possition that I am aloud to say?

My point simply was that the debate in this thread lies with the question of whether pressing can be detected or not. If we can't determine whether a book has been pressed with any degree of accuracy then where are we?

Cops don't catch all criminals, but do you think we should just give up and let crime run rampant? Why do people install home security systems that only keep out the common crooks? What about car alarms?

Because doing something is always better than doing nothing.

CGC also doesn't catch all restoration, but just the fact that they do try, enforces a level of deterrent that keeps away most of the bad folks. That's far better than letting these maniacal press-a-holics run amok in our hobby.

As a former traniee and current Pregrader at CGC it is company policy to train employees to catch restoration as well as teach them to grade comics correctly.

If the pregrader misses color touch or another form of restoration the changes are the grader or finaliser will catch it a very high percentage of the time.

Please do not attack me. You guys are currious about the inner workings of CGC and I am an employee of the company. Wouldn't you like to here the limited amount of things in my low possition that I am aloud to say?

So even Customer Service, Shipping, Receiving, and other non-grading deprtaments are trained to catch restoration and grade comcis correctly? Is this type of traning session scheduled right after the sexual harassment one?

You know Newt, with each post you should say less and less.

Chris Friesen

Matt Nelson

Susan Ciconi

Tracey Heft

So if these experts say it is a FN+, that's it then, it's a FN+!

I'm pretty sure they are restoration experts, not grading experts. gossip.gif

If you're now involved in the RESTO check at CGC, I think we have every right to criticize those abilities. Afterall....you guys did FAIL to detect the following:

Cleaned Staples

Staple Replacement

Trimming

Just playing devil's advocate yeahok.gif

Did I not PM you & congratulate you on your position at CGC as a pre-grader? Have I been anything but civil with you in the past?

If you don't want me to "attack" you, just DON'T play devil's advocate. It's really that simple.

flowerred.gif

Cops don't catch all criminals, but do you think we should just give up and let crime run rampant? Why do people install home security systems that only keep out the common crooks? What about car alarms?

Because doing something is always better than doing nothing.

CGC also doesn't catch all restoration, but just the fact that they do try, enforces a level of deterrent that keeps away most of the bad folks. That's far better than letting these maniacal press-a-holics run amok in our hobby.

I have no problem with youir points. The question still goes back to whether pressing can be reliably detected?

Again, you're listing tell-tale signs of amateur pressing, not pro pressing.

Not always, and it can come down to the book in question. I bet if a capable amateur pressed out a miniscule non-color breaking corner crease, no one would be the wiser.

Then again, if a pro pressed out a big color-breaking sub crease, it would be plainly apparent what happened to the book.

You're first point supports my idea that Daniel has bitten off more than he can chew. Even some amateur press jobs, like the one you describe, will slip through.

While your second point might be true. It's rare for pressing to be so obvious. The book you describe, with "a big color-breaking sub crease" is a lousy pressing candidate.