• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX on notating pressing on the label.....

210 posts in this topic

But at least as a company, the pressed books they do catch, they will be happy to let us know that they are pressed, unlike CGC, which would rather just keep it hush hush!

IMO, they will catch the amateur press jobs, where the evidence is readily apparent. The pro press jobs will slip through.

If resto experts can't always detect press jobs, how in the world is Daniel Patterson going to do it?

If resto experts can't always detect press jobs, how in the world is Daniel Patterson going to do it?

The banter in this thread falls on one question:

Can Experts detect pressing? If not then then the new heading for this thread should be:

KUDOS TO PGX WHO WILL NOW DISCLOSE PRESSING ON THE LABEL EVEN THOUGH PRESSING CANNOT BE DETECTED. SHAME ON CGC FOR NOT DOING THE SAME.

The banter in this thread falls on one question:

Can Experts detect pressing? If not then then the new heading for this thread should be:

KUDOS TO PGX WHO WILL NOW DISCLOSE PRESSING ON THE LABEL EVEN THOUGH PRESSING CANNOT BE DETECTED. SHAME ON CGC FOR NOT DOING THE SAME.

Not to mention the fact PGX doesn't have an expert. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You really think it is as hard has that to spot a pressed book? I don't, you know how a unread 60's comic feels? It has that unread feel to it, a pressed book may, feel a little like this but you will know, something about it will not feel right, check the spine, might look crunched a little, check the inside of the staples, see if they match an older comic with the same sort of age, no extra hard indentation on the inside. Look carefully in the light see if you can see any possible trace of a old faint crease. Smell the comic, does is smell comic like? Or maybe it has a strange feel on the cover, strange smell? There are plenty of ways to tell, I think I could spot quite a few out of pile of books. I bought a book from Ewert quite awhile back, I knew the comic was not right just by looking through the case, and that was way before all the pressing topics about him. I remember dealers in 80's 90's when disclosing the restoration to a book, they would say pressed, how did they know back then if they did not do it themselves? CGC could spot pressing quite easily, they might miss one or two here or there, but they would get most of them, but why would they do that? Premium prices on hg would drop, as there are most probably a lot more pressed books than we realise. There would be less books sent in for grading, as there would not as many high grades out there as we see in the census! And then of course, a conflict of interests, 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmm making less out of grading now, lets offer other services under the umbrella to encourage more dealers (other than the A list) to get more fake high grades, to encourage them to make more money to make us more money! If I have a Hulk 181 that is a 9.0, faint crease, get it pressed, make it look 9.4, you are making that book look better than what it originaly did, so therefore it now APPEARS as a 9.4, so it should get apparent grade after all it has been modified in which ever way shape or form!

sign-rantpost.gif nuff said, 27_laughing.gif.

Do you really believe this?

Do I believe what? That pressing can't be detected? So, I am led to believe.

If it can be discovered with a very high (80% +) degree of accuracy then the game changes.

Has anyone seen even photos of PGX's facilities?

I must admit that after PGX mishandled the early controversy wit their missing restoration on a few books,and coming on here with altered scan images,I prett much dismissed them,so what have I missed that would make them a credible outfit?

Have they done anything to show that a book submitted to them will be in a safe,secure facility while it is graded?

Have they hired anyone that has a reputation in the hobby?

Have they produced any sort of proof of insurance?

I'm not trying to play devils advocate here.

I'm asking if they have addressed any of these situations and I've missed the announcements.

The fact that some of their books are approaching CGC prices on ebay doesn't mean a thing to me,as most ebay buyers are quite uninformed and might well not be bidding on anything but a slabbed book.

While I would welcome a legitimite alternative to CGc,what has PGX done to show that they are such a company? Or has CGC simply fallen so far that PGX is seen as not so bad?

Who's a expert then? The graders at CGC who missed trim jobs, re-stapple jobs and whatever else recently? Goldust40 could grade just as good, if not better than CGC experts, 27_laughing.gif, as they are called. Who is to say who is a expert or not?

Insurance? I know people who have had books lost, and at first were offered a few free submissions, they eventually got about 20, still I would have rather had the books back or the GPA top prices as it was there fault for losing them!

Who's a expert then? The graders at CGC who missed trim jobs, re-stapple jobs and whatever else recently? Goldust40 could grade just as good, if not better than CGC experts, 27_laughing.gif, as they are called. Who is to say who is a expert or not?

Listen I don't criticize your use of grammar how about not criticizing my ability to grade and detect restoration on a comic. Just playing devil's advocate.

Chris Friesen

Matt Nelson

Susan Ciconi

Tracey Heft

CGC is not claiming they can detect press jobs, so of course I wasn't suggesting them. And yet, you seem to believe Daniel Patterson is up to the task, when he has far less experience than even CGC.

Do I believe what? That pressing can't be detected? So, I am led to believe.

If it can be discovered with a very high (80% +) degree of accuracy then the game changes.

What are you talking about? You stated that it CANNOT be detected. That's pretty absolute, then suddenly, you're bringing in 80% figures.

Do you believe that ALL forms of current CGC resto can be detected with 80% accuracy? 27_laughing.gif

Hey Newt, you saying it was you who missed all those Ewert jobs?

Not saying a word. Just figured I'd give my two cents.

I'm saying basically that I have learned more in a year at CGC from these experts than some people learn in a decade. The people I am working with are professionals. I'm still amazed by what they can catch. I'm still learning.

Listen I don't criticize your use of grammar how about not criticizing my ability to grade and detect restoration on a comic. Just playing devil's advocate.

If you're now involved in the RESTO check at CGC, I think we have every right to criticize those abilities. Afterall....you guys did FAIL to detect the following:

Cleaned Staples

Staple Replacement

Trimming

Just playing devil's advocate yeahok.gif