• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX on notating pressing on the label.....

210 posts in this topic

check the inside of the staples, see if they match an older comic with the same sort of age, no extra hard indentation on the inside.

Herc I noticed you mentioned little indentations on pages from staples. Those are caused by oxidation and are a natural occurrence in comics and takes years to occur. If the indentation does not match the position of the staple...it's a sign the staples might of been replaced.

That's my lesson for the day. smile.gif

you gonna delete this one too?

Post deleted by NewtSamson
Wuss

I lost my temper. Been doing that a lot lately.

Need to control my emotions or NewtSamson will turn into the Hulk.

Sorry if anyone actually did read what I deleted I've been a loose cannon with everything going on in my life these days.

check the inside of the staples, see if they match an older comic with the same sort of age, no extra hard indentation on the inside.

Herc I noticed you mentioned little indentations on pages from staples. Those are caused by oxidation and are a natural occurrence in comics and takes years to occur. If the indentation does not match the position of the staple...it's a sign the staples might of been replaced.

That's my lesson for the day. smile.gif

you gonna delete this one too?

No because that was taught to me by a very wise man who will not be named.

Wuss

Sorry if anyone actually did read what I deleted I've been a loose cannon with everything going on in my life these days.

Hey, that's cool Newt. We've all been loose cannons at times. Thanks for posting recently. I realize that you are only "allowed" to discuss a limited amount of what goes on there, but from what you are allowed to say, it has been the only back and forth dialogue we have had with CGC recently on these boards, so carry on young man. thumbsup2.gif

This forum used to be about comics.

And it still is. Do you really think we want to spend our time continuously holding back GREED from taking over this hobby completely?

Plus...I don't recall you ever posting in any of the recent threads in Comics General that pertain exclusively to the collecting & enjoyment of comic books in & of themselves.

It seems both you & the rest of CGC have absolutely no idea what's really happening here. I think the CGC team is made up of a great bunch of people, but I think they should maybe take a step back & reflect on their employers.

Wuss

Hi, Newt: Sorry to hear that your temper has been getting the better of you occasionally. Are things at work more strained than usual? How's morale in the trenches? Are a lot of changes afoot, leading to a nagging sense of uncertainty?

Hey, that's cool Newt. We've all been looses cannons at times. Thanks for posting recently. I realize that you are only "allowed" to discuss a limited amount of what goes on there, but from what you are allowed to say, it has been the only back and forth dialogue we have had with CGC recently on these boards, so carry on young man. thumbsup2.gif

That's what I've been trying to get across to people. I'm not upper management. I understand that they want answers, but I cannot provide any even if I did or did not know something. I am under a confidentiality agreement that I signed when I took the position.

It doesn't mean I have to stay away from the boards. It just means I have to be very very careful with what I have to say. It just feels lately whenever I come on here I get bombarded from every side. I'd like to answer your questions, but there are matters that go a lot higher than me that stop me. Believe me when I say this....I care about collectors, I care about this hobby, and most of all I care about you guys. I didn't become one with the darkside when I joined this company. If there was something funny going on I would have quit by now. Evil and dishonesty is not the way I roll.

I also am beginning to understand your guy's point of view that having this green title I can't be the same Newt that I was. It's time for me to stop fooling around especially in this time where a lot of you are concerned about the future of this hobby. You see my green title and the way I act sometimes and it doesn't mesh well.

Well, I've been thinking about it and I think it would benefit me and the way I reflect the company if I take it down a notch. No more crazy NewtSamson.

I will let my real world self who is a model employee reflect my online personality.

Thank you all for teaching me a valuable lesson.

I appreciate your concerns and I am listening, and believe me I let the people in upper management know how you feel. I think it can get lost in translation without an ambassador like myself who feels a connection for his company and at the same time seill has his love for his fellow board members and collectors.

Thanks again for this lesson.

Hey, that's cool Newt. We've all been looses cannons at times. Thanks for posting recently. I realize that you are only "allowed" to discuss a limited amount of what goes on there, but from what you are allowed to say, it has been the only back and forth dialogue we have had with CGC recently on these boards, so carry on young man. thumbsup2.gif

That's what I've been trying to get across to people. I'm not upper management. I understand that they want answers, but I cannot provide any even if I did or did not know something. I am under a confidentiality agreement that I signed when I took the position.

It doesn't mean I have to stay away from the boards. It just means I have to be very very careful with what I have to say. It just feels lately whenever I come on here I get bombarded from every side. I'd like to answer your questions, but there are matters that go a lot higher than me that stop me. Believe me when I say this....I care about collectors, I care about this hobby, and most of all I care about you guys. I didn't become one with the darkside when I joined this company. If there was something funny going on I would have quit by now. Evil and dishonesty is not the way I roll.

I also am beginning to understand your guy's point of view that having this green title I can't be the same Newt that I was. It's time for me to stop fooling around especially in this time where a lot of you are concerned about the future of this hobby. You see my green title and the way I act sometimes and it doesn't mesh well.

Well, I've been thinking about it and I think it would benefit me and the way I reflect the company if I take it down a notch. No more crazy NewtSamson.

I will let me real world self who is a model employee reflect my online personality.

Thank you all for teaching me a valuable lesson.

I appreciate your concerns and I am listening, and believe me I let the people in upper management know how you feel. I think it can get lost in translation without an ambassador like myself who feels a connection for his company and his love for his fellow board members and collectors.

Thanks again for this lesson.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Has anyone pointed out that although they were stored for decades in 6-foot high stacks, the Edgar Church (Mile High) books don't look as though they were pressed - unless they've been pressed in recent years, which a number of them have.

It may be awhile before we have scientific means of identifying pressing, but that doesn't mean that a highly educated guess can't be made in many cases. That's really what identifying trimming amounts to these days, a highly educated guess.

Hi, Newt: Sorry to hear that your temper has been getting the better of you occasionally. Are things at work more strained than usual? How's morale in the trenches? Are a lot of changes afoot, leading to a nagging sense of uncertainty?

A little strained. Morale is good.

I've just been letting a lot of personal things get the best of me. Sometimes my low self esteem takes control and makes me question myself. Also with all these hurrcaines I keep worrying about my family, friends and our possesions.

I know it's hard to tell, but I can be pretty nerotic occainsionally. insane.gif

All this stuff bubbles into me having a short fuse. Little things have been setting me off lately. I just need to get a grip. Control my anger and not continue to let it be absorbed and leak out at the wrong moments.

Thanks for your concern.

Has anyone pointed out that although they were stored for decades in 6-foot high stacks, the Edgar Church (Mile High) books don't look as though they were pressed - unless they've been pressed in recent years, which a number of them have.

It may be awhile before we have scientific means of identifying pressing, but that doesn't mean that a highly educated guess can't be made in many cases. That's really what identifying trimming amounts to these days, a highly educated guess.

But that's not what PGX is going to do. They're only noting pressing when they're 100% sure.

It only highlights the fact that you don't know what the hell you're talking about and muddies the discussion by giving other people the idea that a pressed book has been crushed, when it hasn't.

Oooooohh, Kinko's. 27_laughing.gif

I was actually looking around and pricing high-end book/paper presses and there are several professional models that can provide PSI at over a thousand. Are you saying that people interested in pressing cannot buy these or will never have access to them??? screwy.gif

And why should I care what your local band of Kinko's have? Is Kinko's going into the comic book pressing business?

Are you talking about book presses like these? These are used for bookbinding hardbound books. Not for pressing comics. makepoint.gif Like I said, every word out of your mouth shows that you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

I know it's hard to tell, but I can be pretty nerotic occainsionally. insane.gif

Hey, don't feel alone there. Remember, we are comic book collectors here. I doubt any one of us can ever say that he doesn't have any neurotic moments. You can see them displayed here on the boards every day. I don't like to be neurotic either and I have learned to control it, just let it flow, don't worry about the little things. Not everything has to be perfect or "just right". I am enjoying this hobby much more now that I have controlled my neurotic moments to the best of my abilities. But hey, we didn't get the rep for being comic book geeks for nothing. Unless you are at least a little bit neurotic I doubt that you would have ever become a serious collector, so it's not all bad.