• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why does CGC take almost a year to press and grade 3 modern books while I paid for fast track?
2 2

80 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2022 at 7:27 PM, Sigur Ros said:

So you've had 150 CBCS slabs in hand, and only 2 of them were correctly graded (in your opinion).

Is that seriously what you're claiming ?

And of the "thousands" of CGC 9.8s... 50%-60% are overgraded ?   

So the score is 148 vs "thousands".

I think that s/he simply has no idea how to grade.

Ive only purchased one cbcs slab in my life. Killing Joke cbcs 9.8.  It cross graded to a cgc 9.8 so im 1 for 1 there.

In December I purchased a Spawn Thanks - cgc 9.8 from Ebay.  Best offer of $330, all in.

Since then, 2 cbcs 9.8 copies of that book have been sold. 1 sold for $370 all in and the other for $340 all in.

Maybe buyers are starting to soften on cbcs slabs.

Regarding the Voldy ROIs, I was way overconfident in my ability to calculate historic ROIs. There is a real lack of sales data to properly calculate an ROI for Voldy. Nowhere near as many sales recorded to start creating an initial purchase point and calculating to a sufficiently later sales point. Yes, I readily admit that CGC books often go for more book for book, but just a single sales price is useless for calculating an ROI, since one can get less for a book but can yield higher ROI. For my own part my ROI on Voldy has been about 55% (annualized) over a 6 year period for a total 1233%. 

Edited by PovertyRow

I’m in the frustrated boat as well since I receive seemingly endless quick-turn signing promotions but have been waiting since April of 2021 for my pressing/grading to be completed. I would be far more understanding if it wasn’t for all of the signing emails I get that seem to indicate I should only be submitting to signings if I want my books back within the year.

On 2/3/2022 at 9:05 AM, William-James88 said:

There's only 20 graders. If you got what you paid for within the TATs that were given to you then I don't see how it can be bad customer service.

Coming up on a year and still have no response when they 25 books will be graded... so anyone who thinks this is acceptable or even suggests it is bad service is wrong.  It is horribly pathetic service!

On 2/3/2022 at 2:40 PM, William-James88 said:

FYI to anyone reading this, if you are considering sending books in:

fast track for pressing is 180 working days

fast track for grading is 90 working days

180+90= 270 working days

270 working days = 13 and a half months

Sending comics now will take over a year to get back. And that is fast track. Non fast track will take 1 year and a half (18 months).

CGC is making you aware of this, the info is there. 

If anyone is not a fan of these times, I would not send the books.

The turnaround times didn’t drastically increase until after I submitted my books last year, yet those books are still with CGC 11 months in. So while that advice may hold for future submissions, it doesn’t apply for many items currently with them.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:25 PM, Jamie Murphy said:

Coming up on a year and still have no response when they 25 books will be graded... so anyone who thinks this is acceptable or even suggests it is bad service is wrong.  It is horribly pathetic service!

My comment is not about it being acceptable, its whether or not CGC is upholding the end of the deal you agreed to partake in.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:03 PM, Randall Ries said:

Very disappointing to read all the apologist and excuses comments.

This has nothing to do with what another grading company does or doesn't do. If they step up to fill a vacuum. From their forums I read, they have the exact same issues. This doesn't have anything to do with Flintstone. I mean Blackstone. This has everything to do with YOU. The customer. The submitter. The co-dependent.

You are the problem. You tolerate bad service. You accept excuses as to what TAT is so high. You accept your books returning to you damaged. You accept excuses when they say "We can't find your order." You accept low-ball settlements when you book was damaged in the slabbing process. Or worse, you let it slide and don't demand reparation. You take it in the pants when services are foreshortened and prices raised.

Other grading companies are created and you immediately fluff them off or disparage them. They could be a fledgling 3 days old with only a few books completely graded and slabbed and you have already made your minds up they are sub-par and will NEVER succeed. Because CGC - the company you worship and the company who treats you poorly - is the bestest in the whole wide world.

You make excuses and tell them "Aw. It's ok. KEEP my books for a year! We KNOW you are making record profits and you HAVE to because of that meanie Blackstone demands it! We feel SO BAD for you and so we will do our part and stand by you! We intellectually KNOW they could hire and train more staff and afford better buildings and hire professional logistics people who could streamline the out of operations and make the company equal its fake reputation but we can't fit that into our heads because they tell us something different!"

"We KNOW you were like this BEFORE you were bought out by a raider. We KNOW you were like this BEFORE the pandemic but we need to keep fooling ourselves into believing you are top shelf and the pinnacle of quality service and industry leaders even though we secretly know in our hearts you peaked a LONG time ago, got cocky, got greedy and let your standards plummet while telling us you were still the best!"

You know what all that describes? It describes an abused spouse who no longer realizes how badly they are being treated and thinks it's their fault somehow and accepts every -a-mamie excuse the abuser has the nerve to hand them.

As someone who is outside of this frankly dysfunctional relationship looking in, it's easy to spot. It's easy to see that many of you have let your sense of commerce and greed get the better of you and if you actually LEAVE this abusive partner, you think you will suffer. Like the abuse is worth waiting a year to get your property back.

If you go to bed thinking "Gosh-a-rootie but it's been almost a year since I sent three lousy books in and gee whiz I HOPE I get them back SOON and hopefully they aren't DAMAGED or they don't get LOST" then you have a serious problem.

It's called "denial" and "delusional".

Try to remember: You built the company with your loyalty and money. Back when they were teeny, they would tell you how much they appreciated you and couldn't have done it without you. You are like the girlfriend who sacrificed a good deal of time and money to support your boyfriend as he attended law school. And now that he's a lawyer making good pay and even made partner, is thinking about leaving you or treating you with utter disregard and contempt.

It's YOU. Not them. You could stop this, but you likely won't. You aren't strong enough and still believe your faith will be rewarded somehow. You just don't KNOW any better.

I don't think anyone here is a CGC stan, it's just about the money. If the competition provides a better service and their slabs sell for the same premium, then I think almost everyone would jump ship.

Also, regarding compensation, don't know about others but something went sour recently with my submission and I found the compensation to be adequate and not a lowball offer.

Not in a hurry to send more books for slabbing though.

On 2/19/2022 at 11:54 PM, William-James88 said:

I don't think anyone here is a CGC stan, it's just about the money. If the competition provides a better service and their slabs sell for the same premium, then I think almost everyone would jump ship.

Also, regarding compensation, don't know about others but something went sour recently with my submission and I found the compensation to be adequate and not a lowball offer.

Not in a hurry to send more books for slabbing though.

Yes. But brand loyalty is a real thing, you know? When we read comments defending book damage or long wait times. All I can say is it's a good thing CGC isn't a medical group.

I do believe the competitions slabs don't sell for the same premium is because of the propaganda coming from CGC adherents. People in the know buy the book and not the grade. Lord knows I have. I have some beautifully undergraded 7.0-7.5's.

It is what it is, though. CGC is not alone in poor customer service. Some folks say Comcast is right up there. I have had nothing but good experiences with Comcast. So I joined the "Comcast Sucks Choir" that meets every Saturday night for rehearsals. I pay for Comcast Business Internet "Suite".  So I was given a spot. Like it's a luxurious room on an ocean liner. They leave me alone. I pay my bill. I need help? They always are there. Like a good neighbor. Others will look at me like I'm huffing Liquid Plumber through a plague mask when I say they treat me well. But music is my life and singing is like flying to me.

I wonder if that's the way CGC has become? If I send in 2,000 books per month I am somewhat favored and if I send in my measly 3 Adams books to be graded they get kicked across the dusty warehouse floor and lost under a coffee table? Hasn't Metropolis gotten like that? When companies get big from small and begin to drink the blood of kittens their attitudes sometimes change.

I'd love to set up a camera at CGC. LOVE. IT.

Here is some rare footage of me at Comcast Sucks Choir doing what I love doing.

Edited by Randall Ries

Back to the start of this thread.... I also had a submission to CCS and CGC back in April 2021 and now my submission has suddenly disappeared... 

It states submissions older than 8 months will require a search vis your submission number - but when I enter that it shows no record of my 15 book submission. Up until a week ago I could still see my submission. This is the first time I'll have to wait a year to get my books back (in the 5 years I have been submitting) so maybe this is normal for it to just go off the grid while it moves from one area to another? It's been a week and no response from CGC yet. 

Edited by Marvel-ous

I agree with you. It is poor customer service. You can make all the excuses you want, covid19 , high volume, they are the main player in town and know it. I sold a graded comic and the buyer complained about the sides of the case not being sealed. I looked at some other comics I had and they were the same. Me being a newbie I was worried. I called CGC customer service and was told I was probably storing them wrong. After some research I found out that in the early grading years of CGC they did not seal the sides of the case. Too bad someone working for your company did not know this. Customer service at this company is a joke. Higher more damn graders. Can you tell the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9..I can't. If it says 9.6 than its a 9.6 period. I appreciate the concern about quality, but this isn't a meal you can taste, or a house you build, or a bridge you don't want to collapse. Its all subjective. Of course you don't want a 3.0 graded as a 9.6 but come on. IT ONLY TAKES 9 MONTHS TO HAVE A BABY,

On 2/3/2022 at 11:28 AM, MAR1979 said:

Has been noted CGC has a mere 20 graders, it's now 2 years of record submissions and record profits, the number of graders should have be doubled over a year ago. Seriously they are in a rather low-wage state and staffing-wise are seemingly operating in total austerity mode! How cheap is Blackstone

Not very cheap at all.  At least to their top executive:

(Bloomberg) -- Blackstone Inc. Chief Executive Officer Steve Schwarzman took home $1.1 billion in dividends and compensation in 2021, in what amounts to one of Wall Street’s biggest annual payouts on record.

On 2/27/2022 at 2:30 PM, namisgr said:

(Bloomberg) -- Blackstone Inc. Chief Executive Officer Steve Schwarzman took home $1.1 billion in dividends and compensation in 2021, in what amounts to one of Wall Street’s biggest annual payouts on record.

Nothing to see here.  Please keep submitting books and we will surely get to you as soon as humanly possible.

On 2/27/2022 at 4:30 PM, namisgr said:

For those that understand large corporations from the inside his largess proves my original glib post.