• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prototypes vs 1st appearance i.e.HOS #92 vs SWAMP THING #1 and others
3 3

14 posts in this topic

Ok. Here is an interesting question. Why is HOUSE OF SECRETS #92 considered the first appearance of the SWAMP THING? It is clearly just a proto-type yet collector's have deemed it the first appearance.  Should not SWAMP THING #1 be the actual first appearance? Because if this is the case how come other prototypes do not get the same respect such as SUPERMAN #123 vs ACTION #252. Also, MARVEL PREVIEWS #7 where a creature that looks like ROCKET RACCOON and is not named as opposed to INCREDIBLE HULK #271 where he is named.

Edited by APDallas

HOS 92 is clearly the first appearance of Swamp Thing IMO. Olsen/Holland and a bit of a rewright to the story doesn’t overshadow the fact that it is Swamp Thing. Same character intended from the original artist. An argument could be made for HOM 195 being a prototype or tryout for Swampy with the story “Things Old... Things Forgotten” in that issue. 

On 2/6/2022 at 11:56 AM, Jayman said:

HOS 92 is clearly the first appearance of Swamp Thing IMO. Olsen/Holland and a bit of a rewright to the story doesn’t overshadow the fact that it is Swamp Thing. Same character intended from the original artist. An argument could be made for HOM 195 being a prototype or tryout for Swampy with the story “Things Old... Things Forgotten” in that issue. 

I tend to agree with this. 

The story is different, but the character, Swamp Thing, drawn by Bernie and written by Len, appeared in HOS92. So I've always considered that the first appearance. 

As I continued to stroll (stumble, really) down memory lane I recalled something about the creation of Swamp Thing in an editorial page of #1, so I got my copy out to take a look. Here is a scan of a paragraph. I'm sorry it's sideways. Anyway, it mentions a man turned monster but it says it was in House Of Mystery. I think that's a mistake and they meant to say House Of Secrets. The story in House of Mystery #195 has no mention of a man turned into a swamp creature but I wonder if it was an inspiration for the Parliament of Trees. Seems like it to me.

me.1577896389_SW1.thumb.jpg.a68ca9bed056959868be5bbd5c01ac64.jpg

On 2/6/2022 at 11:41 PM, thecollectron said:

I was pretty sure the talking raccoon in Marvel Preview #7 had a name so I got out my copy to take a look.

There is a panel in which he says his friends call him Rocky.

He was called Rocky even in Hulk 271.

Rocket-Raccoon-First-Appearance.png

Chamber of Darkness 4 vs Conan 1 is a good example of prototype vs 1st appearance.  Here we had a character look almost exactly like Conan and drawn by Barry Smith, but was called Starr the Slayer.  

I'd have a hard time calling HoS a "prototype" when the creature is named the same as the name of the ongoing character.  It's there as the title of the story itself.

STsplashHoS92.jpg.3f6093e52d567dab8e233f193ce56185.jpg

The Superman #123 analogy is an interesting one.  I've not read that story, but according to the GCD, the character is called "Super-Girl," isn't actually from Krypton but is instead a magical creation, and doesn't look much like the later portrayal of Kara Zor-El:

Supes123.jpg.d376f0f4292dafbba2dfdd32ff099b2f.jpg

On 2/6/2022 at 10:25 AM, APDallas said:

Ok. Here is an interesting question. Why is HOUSE OF SECRETS #92 considered the first appearance of the SWAMP THING? It is clearly just a proto-type yet collector's have deemed it the first appearance.  Should not SWAMP THING #1 be the actual first appearance? Because if this is the case how come other prototypes do not get the same respect such as SUPERMAN #123 vs ACTION #252. Also, MARVEL PREVIEWS #7 where a creature that looks like ROCKET RACCOON and is not named as opposed to INCREDIBLE HULK #271 where he is named.

Showcase 6 and Fantastic four 1