• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a good finder’s fee? [2022 Update]
1 1

57 posts in this topic

I have no experience with it, but I'm thinking $1k from each side in cash.  But it might depend on how much work you put in, how desperate those guys are, how much you know/trust/like them, etc.

Thanks for some comments.. there’s an archived thread from 2010 (wow) about the topic and the general consensus is 10-20% with some citing a percentage over 10% being robbery. I would have to imagine 12 years later and in this trading climate the rate’s gotta be closer to that 20% margin

Edited by littledoom

On 2/8/2022 at 1:56 PM, Bird said:

I disagree, I would say that is has to be less. It is easier than ever to find someone to buy your books, why pay 20% to the middleman?

Hmm… I can see that.. rates have been going down across the board 

This implies that the buyer and the seller are already connected:

On 2/8/2022 at 10:18 AM, littledoom said:

I know both the seller and buyer of a massive 200 longboxes 80s collection of $50k asking.

So it is too late to ask either of them for money.  You don't ask for a fee for something that might reasonably be expected to be free. 

Some deals involve finders fees.  Most do not.  The deals in which a finders fee was not previously discussed do not change into finder's fee deals after the fact.  That would be like setting a trap.  It's unethical... And annoying.

On 2/8/2022 at 3:51 PM, Turnando said:

This implies that the buyer and the seller are already connected:

So it is too late to ask either of them for money.  You don't ask for a fee for something that might reasonably be expected to be free. 

Some deals involve finders fees.  Most do not.  The deals in which a finders fee was not previously discussed do not change into finder's fee deals after the fact.  That would be like setting a trap.  It's unethical... And annoying.

Huh? It’s like setting two friends up for a date. I know em both. How could they possibly know each other already? 

On 2/8/2022 at 7:07 PM, littledoom said:

Huh? It’s like setting two friends up for a date. I know em both. How could they possibly know each other already? 

What several people are trying to say.......is that if you already introduced the buyer and seller to each other before you discussed a finders fee with either of them.......then it's too late to go back and try to get one.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 2/8/2022 at 5:12 PM, Domo Arigato said:

What several people are trying to say.......is that if you already introduced the buyer and seller to each other before you discussed a finders fee with either of them.......then it's too late to go back and try to get one.

Luckily I’m a smart fellow and I ask questions ahead of time :wink:

10-15%, unless it's a looser connection, in which case drop it to 8.