• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a good finder’s fee? [2022 Update]
1 1

57 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2022 at 11:52 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Undercut. 9.99% yo.

Too stressful. Makes me think of 99.99, the amount of germs we can kill. I'll never sleep soundly until we can get that last .01%. I mean, we haven't even made any progress on this number. What are we doing, people? 

On 2/8/2022 at 11:58 PM, wombat said:

I'm not sure why everyone was assuming he already introduced them to each other. 

When I first read the question, it sounded like the deal had already gone down. But since it hasn't, 10% seems reasonable. 

On 2/8/2022 at 12:18 PM, littledoom said:

I know both the seller and buyer of a massive 200 longboxes 80s collection of $50k asking. What is a reasonable finders fee? Should I ask for a finders fee from both parties? Thank ya!

200 long boxes is what - 50,000 books?  Unless they have been picked over like crazy why didn't you buy them at that price?  Plenty of 80s books where you could get the $50K back in a hurry if most keys are there.

A small % in cash or a book or two is all I could expect now having not negotiated the deal beforehand with the parties involved.  But it sounds like you did both parties a solid favor!  If they appreciate your assistance/friendship, I wouldn't expect it, but you could see some fee/books and be thankful.

Sometimes the reward does not come right away or in the form that we want or feel we deserve.

On 2/9/2022 at 7:54 AM, 1Cool said:

200 long boxes is what - 50,000 books?  Unless they have been picked over like crazy why didn't you buy them at that price?  Plenty of 80s books where you could get the $50K back in a hurry if most keys are there.

Yes 50-60k comics. I did offer to buy but my offer was declined. The seller is pretty firm on the $50k. In fact he’s hopeful for more. It’s a headache that involves so much. It takes the right buyer for this collection and I know some who are willing. The seller is kind of stubborn. Whoever’s paying 50k has to make more than double on it… anywho his price is essentially $250 a longbox which is retail which no dealer pays for. At that quantity $50 per box is more reasonable but like I said that was turned down 

Edited by littledoom

On 2/9/2022 at 10:03 AM, littledoom said:

Well.. you’d have to know what’s in them 

50k for 50k books works well

Dollar a book, and yeah you're right, knowing whats in them helps

On 2/9/2022 at 11:01 AM, shadroch said:

There is no chance I'm paying $1 a book for 1980s stuff.  90% of the stuff is junk so you are really paying $5 a book for the 10% or so worth it. What do you do with the other 40,000+  books you paid $1 each for?   The idea is to pay ten cents each so you can make money selling the bulk for $1 and make money on the good stuff. Not have to sell the good stuff to recoup the money you wasted on a truckload of . 

Are the books bagged and boarded, in an organized fasion or do you need to spend hundreds of hours and  lots more money getting them ready for sale?  Are the boxes thirty years old and need replacing?  How much will it cost to move them? Who will move them? Where will you store them?

A "deal" like this can bite you in the az very quickly.

Totally agree, however, inflation and all that jazz

Nobody is going to let things go these days for cents on a book, drek or otherwise 

As for getting rid of it, there is always the "Mystery Box" lol

I was scammed by this in the past, luckily I had the forsight to hold and I've ended up doing rather well from it 

On 2/9/2022 at 11:05 AM, The Meta said:

Totally agree, however, inflation and all that jazz

Nobody is going to let things go these days for cents on a book, drek or otherwise 

As for getting rid of it, there is always the "Mystery Box" lol

I was scammed by this in the past, luckily I had the forsight to hold and I've ended up doing rather well from it 

You have to learn to deal with rejection. I turn down most collections I see and get turned down on most of the ones I make offers on. 

On 2/9/2022 at 11:21 AM, shadroch said:

You have to learn to deal with rejection. I turn down most collections I see and get turned down on most of the ones I make offers on. 

Absolutely 

I am saving up to buy a collection and most likely will be outbid or rejected my first few times out

What really scares me is getting those boxes of garbage

There are a lot of success stories on the boards, but I know realistically, there are 20x more " I got a rock" stories out there

On 2/9/2022 at 9:31 AM, littledoom said:

Yes 50-60k comics. I did offer to buy but my offer was declined. The seller is pretty firm on the $50k. In fact he’s hopeful for more. It’s a headache that involves so much. It takes the right buyer for this collection and I know some who are willing. The seller is kind of stubborn. Whoever’s paying 50k has to make more than double on it… anywho his price is essentially $250 a longbox which is retail which no dealer pays for. At that quantity $50 per box is more reasonable but like I said that was turned down 

If the seller is asking too much and the buyer will have to pay too much the chances of you getting a finder's fee is poor.