• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Scamming Example
6 6

56 posts in this topic

Posted in the “plastic crack” thread but I’ve seen similar postings in other auctions for collectibles and brought it up in a couple of other threads here on the boards. These are hacked accounts where an established seller with a substantial reputation is/are used to get you to contact them outside of eBay where they can steal your money or payment information. Since a few of the members here have already been burned recently, I thought I’d share in order to bring awareness to hobbyists in all categories of collectibles. Report these posts immediately if you run into them and let’s keep each other safe from these :censored:

C4C71EAD-59EA-4BBF-AC44-D501E8B41F24.png

Do people still get scammed this way? Amazing that 20 years into the digital age there are people who still don't recognize a scam when they see it. 

On 2/11/2022 at 8:18 PM, VintageComics said:

Do people still get scammed this way? Amazing that 20 years into the digital age there are people who still don't recognize a scam when they see it. 

Apparently so since there were two separate topics in the past couple of weeks where either a boardie was enticed into a “too good to be true” scenario or an account that was hacked and suspended due to suspicious activity, probably from a spoof email asking for log in info.

On 2/11/2022 at 8:32 PM, wombat said:

And just like that I see one of these. Yeah, if you fall for this you need to do some serious thinking about the choices you are making. 

Carp happens. I think some people might be too embarrassed to admit it but there’s always gonna be those looking to take advantage of someone who may not be as well versed in what to look out for.

On 2/11/2022 at 5:32 PM, wombat said:

And just like that I see one of these. Yeah, if you fall for this you need to do some serious thinking about the choices you are making. 

I've fallen for some stuff before.  Nothing this egregious.  Usually its because I'm shopping super late at night or super early in the morning and my smart brain is turned off.   Some people get so excited at the chance at a great deal, they also take a chance on a sketchy opportunity.  Because sometimes gambles pay out.  A number of years back, a Facebook group featured a guy in South Africa that had a case of unopened Tiger Force Outback figures from action force.  He was selling them at a great price, but the hoops to jump through and the lack of buyer protection made it a scary proposition for most.  But some guys spent some decent amounts of money and I believe they all received their figures.  

Back to this topic though, screams scam and definitely against Ebay TOS.   

The only time I got scammed on ebay, the scammer sent me the product and abused the hell out of me for trusting him, then asked for the book back... the one he'd scammed from me. Not gonna happen, sunshine! 

On 2/20/2022 at 9:55 AM, topcat54 said:

Seller is UK based (the hacked business), the new books listed say California. Sloppy thief. A ton of too good to be true. For a moment you want to believe it on some level. First place I came was here in hopes we were sharing this nightmare with each other. Thank you for posting this.

On 2/20/2022 at 12:00 PM, B2D327 said:

I looked up his “sellers other items”: DD1, FF 48, ST 110, etc….reported them all

All gone

he keep listing new ones every with new hacked accounts and emails

This group of scammers has been hard at work over the last couple weeks using hacked ebay accounts. Like the UK farm supply account that suddenly has 2 dozen rare comics. There's also been a rash of similar listings from brand new accounts, mostly canadian, trying to direct traffic to purchase books through their website. These two groups have been spamming eBay hard and it's so annoying. So keep reporting and hopefully they'll decided it isn't worth the effort and give up.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:04 PM, B2D327 said:

Carp happens. I think some people might be too embarrassed to admit it but there’s always gonna be those looking to take advantage of someone who may not be as well versed in what to look out for.

This all night long. Everyone has their 1st time. Most won't admit they have been had before so everyone ELSE is the dupe. But never them. Certainly not them.