• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone sent CGC a book graded by someone else? Does CGC typically honor the grade?
7 7

45 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2022 at 1:31 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess the comment from your original post would have been more complete and accurate if you had also included the following which I have highlighted in bold:  (thumbsu

On 2/13/2022 at 1:31 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess the comment from your original post would have been more complete and accurate if you had also included the following which I have highlighted in bold:  (thumbsu

Cool. 

On 2/12/2022 at 3:55 PM, Buzzetta said:

It should never vary by much but I am comfortable either way if it varies by a little. I have seen CGC books go for straight resubmits and come back with different page qualities and a .5 +/- change. 

Last year (and I may have posted about it when it happened, but I'll repeat it here) I bought a 9.8 CBCS against my better judgment and sent it in for a crossover.  Sure enough, it came back CGC 9.6, which on that book was pretty bad because the difference between 9.6 and 9.8 was quite huge.  So I sent it back to CBCS and on their second pass they gave it a 9.4 (the book they previously gave it a 9.8).  Now maybe it got messed up in transit/handling each time and got progressively worse, or maybe it was just luck of the draw with regard to tough/lenient graders--or both.  Whatever the case may be, ain't no guarantees.

I did the crossover deal with an ASM 129. Never again. CBCS graded it a 9.2. Owning a couple of hundred CGC books i thought at worst it would drop to an 8.5. Needless to say i wad shocked it came back as an 8.0. Once Joeypost clears his backlog I’m sending it to him to work his magic since that was nearly $2k bath. 

On 2/12/2022 at 9:11 AM, KCode98 said:

I'm looking at a CBCS book that is a 9.8 and everything I can see says that it would be a 9.8 but I would like to send it into CGC to have them grade and slab it. What is the likelihood that they will honor the grade and it will be a CGC 9.8? How often do people do this?

Why would you want to do this? It's a 9.8 from one of the two reputable companies. Spend your money on something new.